Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)
Oct 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #181 of 4,154
Mister-X, There are no words for how much of a piece of crap the stock amp is compared to after the upgrades, It's not even in the same ballpark. The changes in sound quality aren't going to be subtle.
If magic is what you want, then the stock mk6/8 is like getting a high quality magic set from the toy store :p .
The mods turn it into Houdini...

Lol, yes I understand that. I was talking about the tubes. Rolling tubes to get ultimate/different sound signature is a huge part of having a tube amp for me. It would be boring without tuberolling. That's one of the reasons I chose the mk6, as it can handle lots of different tubes :)

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #182 of 4,154
Actually, tube rolling experience will be "*edit*"(made more noticable),
As I made note (in a past PM) on a sonic occurance (more holography on piano keys), that I was able to pinpoint source being my driver tubes...

This was result of lastest mod implemented...

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #183 of 4,154
Actually, tube rolling experience will be "*edit*"(made more noticable),
As I made note (in a past PM) on a sonic occurance (more holography on piano keys), that I was able to pinpoint source being my driver tubes...

This was result of lastest mod implemented...

Now that's more like it 
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #184 of 4,154
Lol, yes I understand that. I was talking about the tubes. Rolling tubes to get ultimate/different sound signature is a huge part of having a tube amp for me. It would be boring without tuberolling. That's one of the reasons I chose the mk6, as it can handle lots of different tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

You'll see that "Cap rolling" can be lots of fun too.

And there is MUCH more caps than there is tubes in our amps ... and you can bypass all those caps with other caps .... several times !

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #185 of 4,154
  You'll see that "Cap rolling" can be lots of fun too.

And there is MUCH more caps than there is tubes in our amps ... and you can bypass all those caps with other caps .... several times !

I have no doubts about that. But my plan is to finish building the "compact" mod and be done with it. There's no room for several bypass caps 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #186 of 4,154
  I have no doubts about that. But my plan is to finish building the "compact" mod and be done with it. There's no room for several bypass caps 
smily_headphones1.gif

Spoilsport.... I'm building a house extension to accomadate my mods........seriously I agree with you, I don't want anything too unwieldy. This thread has come at just the right time. I've already bought the Mundorf silver in oil caps so the sound should be slightly different to the guys on the LD thread that have the SG in oil. But I can now look into the other 2 caps mods talked about by Maxx123 at the same time. I doubt if I can do it myself though, I just don't trust myself not to touch undischarged caps, ideally I would like to be here to hear the results.

The only problem is my Miniwatt speaker amp which ATM is slightly better than the standard LD. I've looked into the possibility of modding this but its too small for mods so it looks like it could get left behind when my MKVI comes back.

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #187 of 4,154

Spoilsport.... I'm building a house extension to accomadate my mods........seriously I agree with you, I don't want anything too unwieldy. This thread has come at just the right time. I've already bought the Mundorf silver in oil caps so the sound should be slightly different to the guys on the LD thread that have the SG in oil. But I can now look into the other 2 caps mods talked about by Maxx123 at the same time. I doubt if I can do it myself though, I just don't trust myself not to touch undischarged caps, ideally I would like to be here to hear the results.

The only problem is my Miniwatt speaker amp which ATM is slightly better than the standard LD. I've looked into the possibility of modding this but its too small for mods so it looks like it could get left behind when my MKVI comes back.

I wonder how big a difference it is between the Mundorf S/O and S/G/O. I have the S/G/O's and like them very much, don't have anything to compare to though except the stock garbage caps... 

Just take the precautions stated on first page and use a multimeter. No shame in letting someone else do the job though. It'll sound the same nonetheless

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #188 of 4,154
Quote:
I wonder how big a difference it is between the Mundorf S/O and S/G/O.

Check the cap review links first page.
:)

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #189 of 4,154
  I wonder how big a difference it is between the Mundorf S/O and S/G/O. I have the S/G/O's and like them very much, don't have anything to compare to though except the stock garbage caps... 

Just take the precautions stated on first page and use a multimeter. No shame in letting someone else do the job though. It'll sound the same nonetheless

For Mundorf S/O vs S/G/O, you can see there :
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap2.html

Reading between the lines, both are really good caps, with S/G/O having a accentuated treble, giving more (real?) air and detail.
Maxx loved that (until he heard the Jup's), I'm not that fond of treble so I recon I should be more a S/O kind of guy. 

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #190 of 4,154
Quote, MisterX:
...No shame in letting someone else do the job though...

I have been asked about this question of a member not feeling confident to do the mods...

I have proposed one possible solution..

Post a "electronics or amplifier job" in your local college..
There are many "starving students" in electronics field who would take on this job, quite enthusiastically, for a nominal fee, and can also use it for their own benifits for project requirements in college.

You wont get ripped off going to some "Joe Shmo" tube repair shop where the guy will take forever and complain it goes against his training..

College Students are a ripe source for young, sharp, enthusiastic minds open to new things...

Just make sure you can trust the person to be responsible to carry it out...

:)

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #191 of 4,154
Quote:

I have been asked about this question of a member not feeling confident to do the mods...

There are many "starving students" in electronics field who would take on this job, quite enthusiastically, for a nominal fee, and can also use it for their own benifits for project requirements in college.

You wont get ripped off going to some "Joe Shmo" tube repair shop where the guy will take forever and complain it goes against his training..

College Students are a ripe source for young, sharp, enthusiastic minds open to new things...

smily_headphones1.gif

That's some good advice! I'm doing it myself though, as I enjoy tinkering and learning new things
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #192 of 4,154

For Mundorf S/O vs S/G/O, you can see there :
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap2.html

Reading between the lines, both are really good caps, with S/G/O having a accentuated treble, giving more (real?) air and detail.
Maxx loved that (until he heard the Jup's), I'm not that fond of treble so I recon I should be more a S/O kind of guy. 

Exactly...
I have found that the MK8 is so revieling that the treble needs to be in high order, so my recommended choice are the more neutral natural Jupiters for the MK8...

Yet I believe the MK6 should be great with many caps...
The mundorf I found to be sweet in trebles...

Actually I am thinking that it is VERY important the everyone NEEDs to check out the cap link that Redge78 posted to "match" the signature of thier amp, to their own liking...
:wink:

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #193 of 4,154
Quote, MisterX:

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all the encouraging comments guys. Maxx134 that's a great idea, in fact the electronics person I use has had close links with the local technical college so he might be a source of information.

Regarding the S/Oil caps I hate any harshness in amplification, and ATM I don't have any so wouldn't want to introduce it with the SG/Oil caps whereas I believe the silver caps are completely forgiving and fluid, and many regard them as superior, certainly taking account of price. As I do most of my listening through speakers I'm only interested in getting maximum value for money with the LD, but I'll be following this thread with interest. I'm fortunate in that I can play music as loud as I like in the middle of the night and nobody would hear a thing, but that may change with an impending house move.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #194 of 4,154
As I do most of my listening through speakers I'm only interested in getting maximum value for money with the LD

This baby is going to make one helluva preamp for my future speaker system 
biggrin.gif

I've destroyed my amp for the cause mapping out a schematic.
I'm still correcting errors here and there but it is mostly complete.

Even though my technical understanding of electronics is limited I still learned many things about how the amp functions.
I also isolated some more potential areas of upgrading that I will have to refer to Maxx and Redge about.

After what must be 4-5 days of non stop analysis I almost have my plans figured out for my monoblock MK6 design. Little Dot monoblocks baby! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #195 of 4,154
Just a note,
we never told/condoned/suggested in any way what "coinmaster" is doing...
He has his own vision of what he wants to do, and how he sees his amp.
That is fine, but not necessary for these mods...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back