Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Nov 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #496 of 2,724
Quote:

Why do some people say my name with 'uon' lol, anywho coming from the top of my head, the MP-3 is that long tube amp with one side being the transformers  and the otherside is a whole bunch of tubes on one side. I'm a little not surprised those GEC A2900 are much better than Psvanes, as I've heard some and seen people say that it is indeed a superbly sounding tube, having not tried the GEC's, how much better would you rate over the Psvanes?

I'll admit I haven't played with a lot of 12AT7 tubes but I've got a good little expensive collection on the 12AU7 and the only time I see the Psvanes lose is as someone quoted on another forum with their comparison, comparing it to a rare NOS level 1950's Telefunken diamond based tube. What would be your second best 12AT7 valve besides the GEC's? (They don't come cheap).

Hello DefQon (and please forgive my previous misspelling,)

The MP-3 is one of two Atma-Sphere preamps.  ( http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/#MP-3 )  What you described is one of their (very fine) OTL amplifiers.  Rosgr63 (post #486 above) uses one as his/her avatar ;~)  The MP-3 (with phonostage) uses 11 tubes. 7x 12AT7's in the phonostage, and 2x 12AU7 + 2x 6SN7 in the linestage.  I'm actually using the Telefunken 12AU7 you mentioned in the linestage (and sometimes Raytheon's with windmill getters ;~)  along with a pair of the also excellent RCA red base 6SN7's.)  This is a GREAT preamp!   I'm generally not a fan of tube preamps (don't like listening to tube hiss after it has been amplified and sent to my speakers ;~)   But the MP-3 is VERY quiet, and owning one was the only way I could get my hands on a balanced tube phonostage.

Regarding the GEC 12AT7, a little history:  All I can say is the GEC tube is  waaay ahead of the rest of the pack;  and I'd tried many of those others before discovering the GEC's (I'll give you my thoughts on those below.)  As I explained in my previous post #469, it had to do with my preference for high transconductance KT88 power tubes.  At the time, about 5 years ago, the three vintage NOS GEC KT88's (Gold Lion, Gold Monarch, and blue label GEC) were the only really high Gm (transconductance) KT88 tube you could buy, and they had a (very deserved) reputation for air, soundstage, and a kind of 'sparkle', that no other KT88 could match, either vintage or modern.  Then came the EAT's which were the first (modern) tube to compete with the GEC's performance (at $1600/quad!)  I never owned them, but had friends with NOS Gold Lions who said the EAT's were even better.  (I did try a quad of used EAT's which were excellent, but not better ;~)  By that time, I had run through a whole bunch of KT88's, and made an interesting discovery:  The higher the transconductance, the better the sonics, with a definite break point (for KT88's anyway) at around 9000 Gm.  So when the Shuguang Black Treasures came out (about 3 -4 years ago) claiming 12,000 Gm, I thought I'd give them a try.  I wasn't disappointed.  They matched the performance of my vintage Gold Lions in every way.  And as I mentioned, I'm currently trying out a quad of the new Psvane black-bottle KT88's which I think are better built, though may not be any better in perfomance (which is not a criticism ;~) I have an excellent Chinese source for Shuggies and Psvanes, so it's not expensive for me to experiment.

Back to the 12AT7's.  My first quad of A2900's cost me around $160.  Not excessive for good NOS 9-pin signal tubes.  I wish I could remember what first caused me to try the GEC tube (so far no luck ;~)  At the time, I was trying out all kinds of 12AT7/6201 tubes in my brand new McIntosh MC275 Mk-IV amplifier.  (I had pretty much settled on the 12AX7 and KT88 tubes)  I suppose, the GEC's were just another one I decided to try, I really can't remember ;~(   But the minute I put them in, there was a noticeable improvement in bass performance (both clarity and power) and I also noticed my amp was drawing a few more watts from the wall ;~)   The A2900 is a very powerful tube on its own.  Most 12AT7's measure around 3000 Gm (new) whereas A2900's can measure as high as 5000!  I guess the word is out because you can't hardly find them anymore for under $250 a pair +/-- (although I just picked up another pair on eBay for $167, lucky me!)  The other 12AT7's I previously enjoyed (and which I would still consider excellent in most applications) are/were:
  1. Sylvania TMBP 6201's
  2. RCA long blackplate 12AT7's  very strong tubes, great for rock  --  and therefore good for drivers too, like the GEC's (but not as refined)
  3. Siemens 6201's  (especially if you like a lot of bass)
  4. Valvo blue-label gold-pin 6201's which I thought were the best 12AT7 (most refined)*, along with the GEC's  (in all apps. except as drivers)
  5. Psvanes -- which as I said, I'm just now trying.**

* By 'refined', I mean nice flat frequency response from top to bottom, and not of any of that 'fuzzy' edge you get with a lot of common 12A*7 tubes.
**  The Psvane 12AT7's (and I'm also trying out some of their 12AX7's) seem to be excellent tubes.  They have 3-micas which is unusual for most 12A*7 tubes, and are performing well in my MP-3's phonostage.  The GEC A2900's still outperform anything I've tried as driver tubes however.

Neil 

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #497 of 2,724
Quote:
The money is yours, I'd say whatever your budget allow.  I have never listened to the Cavalli, just going by other people impressions.  But the thought of been able to use lots kind of tubes got me.
But most importantly people that I known and have good rep. in here all mention its one of the best amp around.  Now Im geting of topic.  
To sum the LD MK6, I put it at the most bang per buck in the tube amp market.  Similar to what the Schiit Mjolnir is to SS amp.  For the money you cant beat those two.   

and which is the best ? between MK8 and Schiit Mjolnr?

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #498 of 2,724
Quote:
and which is the best ? between MK8 and Schiit Mjolnr?

I have never heard the MK8, so I cant comment on that one. But the Mjolnir is very very good.  If you like fast, lots of bass and transparency the Mjolnir can not be beat at that price.  Now if you favor tube sound MK8 is better?  I think the MK8 from what I've heard people talk are more headed toward higher impedance cans like Senn and Beyers.  In my opinion the Mjolnir does better for orthos and lower impedance phones. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #499 of 2,724
Quote:

I have never heard the MK8, so I cant comment on that one. But the Mjolnir is very very good.  If you like fast, lots of bass and transparency the Mjolnir can not be beat at that price.  Now if you favor tube sound MK8 is better?  I think the MK8 from what I've heard people talk are more headed toward higher impedance cans like Senn and Beyers.  In my opinion the Mjolnir does better for orthos and lower impedance phones. 

I've hearded too that MK VI beat amplifiers that cost 3 or 5 times that mk VI cost. but well.

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #500 of 2,724
Quote:
  1. Sylvania TMBP 6201's
  2. RCA long blackplate 12AT7's  very strong tubes, great for rock  --  and therefore good for drivers too, like the GEC's (but not as refined)
  3. Siemens 6201's  (especially if you like a lot of bass)
  4. Valvo blue-label gold-pin 6201's which I thought were the best 12AT7 (most refined)*, along with the GEC's  (in all apps. except as drivers)
  5. Psvanes -- which as I said, I'm just now trying.**

* By 'refined', I mean nice flat frequency response from top to bottom, and not of any of that 'fuzzy' edge you get with a lot of common 12A*7 tubes.
**  The Psvane 12AT7's (and I'm also trying out some of their 12AX7's) seem to be excellent tubes.  They have 3-micas which is unusual for most 12A*7 tubes, and are performing well in my MP-3's phonostage.  The GEC A2900's still outperform anything I've tried as driver tubes however.

Neil 

Thanks a lot man, I will definitely try to get my hands on some GEC sometime soon, ebay auction's for a strong matched pair is around $250-320 atm which is expensive, lucky you you had got your's for $167 :).

I currently have a pair of the RCA long blackplates that you described in my hybrid amp VK-2100, I was a little surprised how well these little gem's perform for the price I paid for ($60 incl shipping, tested strong, matched pair almost NOS level). If the A2900's sound anything like it in terms of it's sound signature but more refined as you described more clear, coherent, flat frequency range then it will definitely spike my interest even more in them. I will also try to hunt some Siemens 6201's down sometime, would love to bring out some low-end out of my bookshelf speakers for some of the genre's I listen to.

Also, I think I may killed one of my lucky RCA triple mica 12AU7's last night shorting it out, having it in a modded amp, only one side produces sound now and from closer inspection as it's powered only one cathode tip light's up from one side of the plates, the other side does not light up and the tube does not run hot at all, all other tubes are tested fine after I rectified the problem with my amp.
:frowning2:

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #501 of 2,724
Quote:
Just a little report on new driver tube for the MK6.  OMG, these BL63 are everything they say they are.  Been using my new favorite 6sn7, Sylvania 6sn7w metal base and in my opinion the Sylvania bested the Tung Sol VT-231 oval mica.  But boy these BL63 are a step higher than even the Sylvanias.  First thing that I notice is how the soundstage just expanded.  Better instrument separation and a much cleaner background than the other two.  One thing this tube lacks to my hears is bass.  Its there, its clean and tight but not much like the TS or Syl.  Mids and highs are clean and clear.  Definitely more transparent than the other two.  This is just after 1 hour of warm up, who knows what it can do with a couple of hours more. 

A big thanks for Glenn from Glenn Studio for the adapters. 

How would you describe the difference between the Sylvanias and the Tungsols? The only Sylvania's I've heard were characteristically bright and lacking mid range fullness, they give the impression of a good soudstage but most of this is down to the brightness as far as I could see. There is not much depth to draw you in, but I know the wgt's are the best.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #502 of 2,724
Quote:
How would you describe the difference between the Sylvanias and the Tungsols? The only Sylvania's I've heard were characteristically bright and lacking mid range fullness, they give the impression of a good soudstage but most of this is down to the brightness as far as I could see. There is not much depth to draw you in, but I know the wgt's are the best.

For me it was a matter of preference I guess.  Both are good but the 6sn7w metal base sounded better to my ears.  More open and more detailed.  It had a naturalness the Tung Sol didnt have.  I dont know if I need more time to test the TS but I usually leave driver tubes around 3days.  After the second day the TS still didnt sound better than the Sylvanias on there first day of usage.  I have a TS 6f8g of the same oval mica contruction coming soon hopefully it would better than its 6sn7gt variant.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #504 of 2,724
Quote:
Then, i still have a question, for High impedance headphones is recommended MK 8 and for low impedance headphones MK 6?

i listened my MK VI with headphones from 32 to 300 ohm without any problem. for beyer i don´t know

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #508 of 2,724
no issue with my beyerdynamic T70 at 250 ohms. The Mk6 will give more power for today's othos that are at 50 ohms which can require a bit more power than the Mk8 can provide.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #509 of 2,724
I am now using 7F7 driver tubes with a loctal adapter and it is the "best bang for the buck" tube I ever heard. I am so impressed that I brought several pairs. I am all set on tubes for several years at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back