Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Nov 19, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #468 of 2,724
Quote:
which amp can compare that LD MK VIII with ? im little dot MK IV owner xD.

Not sure about direct comparison of LD MKVIIIse but someone in this thread said that the LD MK VI was better than WOO WA5. See this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/522099/little-dot-mk-vi-little-dot-mk-viii-se-owners-unite/210#post_8206742

I have never auditioned Woo amps myself but I can say that the LD MK VIIISE is really great with HD800.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #469 of 2,724
I've just started reading this thread (because I just bought a LD Mk VIIISE ;~) and have been interested in some of the tube rolling comments.

Conspicuous by their absence, is the (12AT7) GEC A2900 (or CV6091 - military version, but the same tube).  I've been collecting them (on eBay) since they were $60 - $85 a pair;  but now up to $250/pair,  which should say something about their desirability.  In fact, they'll knock all other 12AT7's out of the park (I promise!)  I use them in all my 12AT7 apps:

Atma-Sphere MP-3 balanced phonostage (3 pairs)
McIntosh MC275 amplifier (2 pair)
Little Dot MK VIII SE (very soon ;~)

These tubes (when in good shape) have the highest transconductance (gain) of any 12AT7 you will run across.  This is an especially important quality when they are used as drivers for (whatever) power tube(s) because they can provide unflinching control over the power tubes' grids.  Their sonics are also excellent, as in my phonostage -- but of course once again, their incredible gain makes the biggest difference in the phonostage too. (in S/N ratio)

If you're eBay-shy, you can buy brand new ones (matched and guaranteed) from Jim Rhodes at Langrex in the UK, or from his eBay ad:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/260877535635?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm really anxious to hear the LD Mk III SE.  So far, I don't have 'balanced' and 'tube' in the same headphone amp ;~)  My current 'stuff' is:
  1. Melos SHA-1 tube headphone amp (single-ended)
  2. HeadRoom Balanced Home Amp;  the 'Beast', with outputs for two pairs of BAL headphones
  3. HeadRoom 'Cosmic' headphone amp
  4. 2 pr. Sony MDR-V6
  5. 2 pr. Senn 650 (one w/ AudioArt Equinox SE cable)
  6. 1 pr. Senn 600
  7. 1 pr. Denon AH-D7000 (w/ AudioArt Equinox BAL cable)
  8. 1 pr. Grado SR60
  9. 1 pr. Grado SR125
  10. 1 pr. Yamaha YH-1 (w/ Cardas FatPipe BAL cable)
  11. 2 pr. Yamaha YH-2's  
I know, it's nuts;  but it was all an accident . . . honest!  The truth is, a year ago, all I had was the two pairs of Sony's, and NO amps, except a little ASL HD-1 headphone tube buffer that was plugged into the tape loop of my preamp;  oh, and the headphone jack on my Nak CR-7A cassette deck ;~)
You can see my main system here:  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1109799786

I just turned 71 today (thanks! ;~) and my hearing, while not exactly "shot", is of course, old ;~)  And I find I'm getting a lot of enjoyment listening to headphones.  Often more than my beautiful main system and speakers (sniff, sniff ;~)  One thing that contributed to that turn of events, is the "Crossfeed" feature on HeadRoom's line of headphone amps.  Before that, I just couldn't bear the "ping pong, hole-in-the-middle" effect of headphone listening (except of course when I could listen to an occasional rare binaural recording.)  I only wish HeadRoom (or somebody) would make a balanced tube unit with that feature (or am I uninformed?)

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading all your posts, and expect to be much better informed for doing so!  I need to do some 'weeding-out' (obviously ;~) but please feel free to criticize (or advise;~) on my current collection of stuff;  keeping in mind my deteriorating hearing, and the fact that I probably don't have a lot of time to amortize any (expensive) changes ;~)  Thanks.

Neil

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #470 of 2,724
Many Happy Returns!

Lots to learn from you.
Happy Listening.

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #471 of 2,724
The majority of your cans appear to be low Z, I am curious to know why you picked the MKVIIISE over the MKVI+? Meier Audio produces a DAC with a very good crossfeed but sadly they have no balanced outputs. What balanced DAC will you be using?
Quote:
I've just started reading this thread (because I just bought a LD Mk VIIISE ;~) and have been interested in some of the tube rolling comments.

Conspicuous by their absence, is the (12AT7) GEC A2900 (or CV6091 - military version, but the same tube).  I've been collecting them (on eBay) since they were $60 - $85 a pair;  but now up to $250/pair,  which should say something about their desirability.  In fact, they'll knock all other 12AT7's out of the park (I promise!)  I use them in all my 12AT7 apps:

Atma-Sphere MP-3 balanced phonostage (3 pairs)
McIntosh MC275 amplifier (2 pair)
Little Dot MK VIII SE (very soon ;~)

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #472 of 2,724
Neil.

I also have the Melos SHA-1 pre-amp. Like you I sometimes use the headphones more than my main system. As for crossfeed that I somethimes use  J.river software to provide that to my little Dot Mk VI6+. Have fun when your LD come in!

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #473 of 2,724
Excellent question ;~)  To which (in my case) there are a few answers:
  1. I got a great deal on the LD (used of course)
  2. I really love my Yamahas best (OK, and the Denons too, but they are lo-Z)
  3. Because I like the Yamahas so much, I'm thinking of 'splurging' on one of the two current manufacture orthodynamic headphones, which should go well with the MkIII (or not?)  And would really appreciate any comments/preferences about/between those two headphones (which I forgot to mention before.)

Actually, I was a little confused by the (earlier) discussion about the pros/cons of:  hi-Z / lo-Z drivers, versus high-efficiency / low-efficiency drivers, versus the Mk VI / Mk VIII.   I feel like there are one-too-many sets of variables here ;~)  Could someone please enlighten me?

As to your question about source(s):
I had been listening to the big HeadRoom amp from an Accuphase DP- 75V which is actually a transport plus a multifunction DAC/processor on one chassis.  It has both BAL and SE outputs -- although Japanese BAL outs are inverted from the American standard (why are we not surprised?!)  But when I get the HeadRoom amp back (today!) I'm going to put it in my main system (see link above) which has a Wadia 27 DAC which also has BAL (non-inverted!) and SE outputs.  Right now, I have the Melos SHA-1 SE tube headphone amp in the main system  --  and there's no question (at least in my mind) that despite the fact it lacks BAL outputs and the Crossfeed, that tubes rule!

Which comes back to why I was interested in the LD MK VIII SE.  It should be arriving just about the same time I get my MP-3 fully balanced, differential, Class A all-tube preamp back from Atma-Sphere (which I originally bought because it has my dream, all-tube, fully balanced phonostage;  and no one else makes one quite like it.)  I can't believe my good fortune in discovering this preamp.  I'm already selling my vintage Mark Levinson gear (which I never thought I'd part with!)  Anyway, the thought of listening to ALL my sources through the MP-3 and the balanced LD MK VIII SE really excites me!  And if I'm right, I will probably sell the big Headroom unit, Crossfeed and all ;~)

Thanks,

Neil

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #474 of 2,724
Quote:
Many Happy Returns!

Lots to learn from you.
Happy Listening.

Thanks very much rosgr.
I only got two birthday cards . . .
The were each from people who owe me money!
smile.gif

-- Neil

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #475 of 2,724
[size=medium]I see if I can clear up a few things here. For orthodynamic headphones the Mk6 is the clear choice since it has the greatest power for the low-efficiency lo-Z headphones which normally is harder on tubes. Both can drive hi-Z  high efficiency and to a point Hi-Z low efficiency headphones. The Mk8 however may have better “refinement” in sound with higher grade caps and “voiced” better for the Hi-Z headphones.  The Mk6 is better for the wider range of headphones that are in used today.[/size]
[size=medium] It is not common to find a tube pre-amp with a fully balanced phonostage [size=11pt]section[/size] using XLR inputs for turntable. For me I am not using my turntable but I am using my CD,s ,audio DVD,s and Blu-Ray,s. My computer software player J.river gives me quite a few setting for crossfeed when I needed it.  I noticed that your Atma-Sphere has 11 tubes inside.
redface.gif
[/size]

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #476 of 2,724
Quote:

Funny I just commented on the lack of mkviiise posts and you've just put that right! Your hearing issues is much the same as my reasons to try to get the best system possible for my advancing years, planning ahead, as well and contributed to getting my HiFiMans which is one of the most detailed headphones available today - my one and only headphone sadly! I did consider the Denons briefly amongst others but I think one thing is key, that is the ability to play them at low volume without loss of detail or enjoyment, many headphones are not consistent throught the volume range. Many peopleI seem to play headphones excessively  loud which is not really a great thing for prolonged use because if you did the same thing with a speaker set up you would soon get the bangs on the walls! I work in an environment where headphone use is one way of combatting boredom and although I don't play them loud I've already noticed some deterioration in hearing. One thing is that when you've tried a balanced setup  you  should get some of the same gains as you  would with crossfeed because soudstage is one of the biggest gains.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #477 of 2,724
dude ... i should Buy that Little dot MK VIII after of that i purchase my Dac for my LD MK IV SE, by the way i want ask here what Dac do u recommend me? someone else recommend did (JKDAC32, Violectric V800 or Yulong Sabre D18) + V-link2 of Musical fidelity, somebody have a better option? should know that the DAC is for my LD MK IV SE and after, for the LD MK VIII SE.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #479 of 2,724
To save money I would look the Emotiva XDA-2 which has both unbalanced and balanced outputs on sale for $349 with free shipping in USA. I have the previous version XDA-1. Very good value for the money, hard to beat. Other balanced DAC is the Schiit GUNGNIR for $750 both are US based companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back