Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Feb 9, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #1,501 of 2,724
That's not ghetto to me!
that's pimping it up visually and more eye candy
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, those black transformer covers,
Can anyone tell me the dimensions and if they are solid or thin and if they are removable?

Thanks.  I am glad that you don't thinks it's ghetto. =)

The transformer covers can be removed by removing 4 screws that hold them in place.  I personally have not removed them myself but it seems like the covers have pretty good thick steel when I tap on them.

Dimension are 2 3/4" H x 3 7/8" L x 3 7/8" W. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,503 of 2,724
  With the Woo WA22 you have to use the balanced inputs in order for the amp to reach full power if you needed it. There has been a lot talk about this in other threads. It all depends on the amp design.

Thanks for the info on balanced threads John, very interesting, I hadn't come across this before.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #1,506 of 2,724
  I recheck since I am not a Woo owner and it appears that a phase splitter was added on the unbalanced inputs not quite a year ago.

P.S. On older WA22 it is a $250 upgrade charge.

in my humble opinion is a stealing a amp for 2k when you can get a better amp for U$S1350 with Mundorf capacity upgrade + shipping.

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,507 of 2,724
in my humble opinion is a stealing a amp for 2k when you can get a better amp for U$S1350 with Mundorf capacity upgrade + shipping.

now that you mention it, the Little Dot upgrade is a more quality cap upgrade,
instead of larger cap, as I read that they use .22uf size..
unlike members tried here. ..
So what is the general consensus on the " M-CAP® Supreme Silver / Gold & Oil " upgrade cap upgrade size??

.22uf or bigger.33uf at same 19mmX39mm..

OR

possible size incompatibility with chasis with .47uf or .68uf both at 26mmX41mm..

Any consensus on sound improvement going beyond .33uf ?

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,508 of 2,724
I decided to put in new caps because I'm keeping my LD for the forseeable future and wanted to get the most out of it. I've had Ansar .47uF caps put in as an interim measure before putting in some Mundorf Supreme .47uF at 20x39mm sometime in the future. The Ansar went in when I found out that the Audyn True Copper that I originally wanted were way to big to fit. Ansars are used a lot in basic audiophile grade systems. My LD is 6 years old and I believe that the newer ones are slightly different inside and can accomodate the Mundorfs, I've measured inside and I don't believe they would fit in mine, however there is the option of getting slim fans which would allow 1 or 2mm gap bearing in mind that you don't really want to have the caps touching the PCB. The 26mm dia definately wouldn't fit in mine, I don't know about later models, I suggest you unscrew the base plate and measure the gap.

Regarding sound, the others in this thread who have had the mods say the sound is fantastic. I'm having the standard Mundorf Supremes because they are cheap, there is always the option of the Silver Oil it you didn't want to fork out for the Silver/Gold/Oils which many say is the best in the range anyway. The higher the capacitance the better the bass response up to about 1uF after which I gather diminishing returns sets in, also very high values can cause sound imbalances.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,509 of 2,724
  With the Woo WA22 you have to use the balanced inputs in order for the amp to reach full power if you needed it. There has been a lot talk about this in other threads. It all depends on the amp design.

John, I wish you hadn't inadvertantly directed me to the balanced threads
frown.gif

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #1,510 of 2,724
Received the VI+ back from LD with upgraded 0.33uf mundorfs (highest uf they would put in). I expected the difference might not be very noticable compared to the old caps, but you really can tell the change. There's more presence to the sound, more fluid. It's like the picture has become more clear and defined. Very impressed.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,511 of 2,724
Sounds great! Did you have the silver cabling as well?

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,513 of 2,724
  Received the VI+ back from LD with upgraded 0.33uf mundorfs (highest uf they would put in). I expected the difference might not be very noticable compared to the old caps, but you really can tell the change. There's more presence to the sound, more fluid. It's like the picture has become more clear and defined. Very impressed.

I would like to learn more about this capacitor upgrade. I have many questions:

1.  Which Mundorfs did you put in?  Silver/gold oil or silver oil or supreme or ZN?
2.  How hard is it to install one?  Is it simple as removing the stock one and just soldering in the new ones?
3.  What max DCV can you use?  I am planning to get a pair of Supreme Silver Oil .47uf but the voltage is 1000DCV so I wasn't sure if this will work or not.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #1,514 of 2,724
They put supreme silver gold oil 1000VDC in. Be careful though, apparently the circuit board is a real bitch to take out. I didnt plan on changing the caps for a year or two, but I sent the amp back to get a small issue looked at & asked for the upgrade while it was there.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,515 of 2,724
  They put supreme silver gold oil 1000VDC in. Be careful though, apparently the circuit board is a real bitch to take out. I didnt plan on changing the caps for a year or two, but I sent the amp back to get a small issue looked at & asked for the upgrade while it was there.

Yes the Mk VI is not the easiest amp to work on. Everything is on one big circuit board with wires soldered everywhere. That is my only nick-pick about the amp.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back