Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Nov 22, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #1,381 of 2,724
  Regarding the caps I'm going to experiment with audiophile caps at different capacitance because that is the one thing that makes the biggest difference, up to a maximum of 1uF,

I may be doing the resistors & caps upgrade sooner than I planned. Do you know if the higher value caps affect bass presence overall or is it just a lower cut off you'll get?

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #1,383 of 2,724
That's interesting, I'm going to try .47uF soon and make up my mind what to do after that. Poladise, if you are interested in the Audyn True Copper caps, pm me. I would have liked to use these but as I said I'm not willing to change the fan assembly, but if you don't mind doing this and fitting an external fan the Audyn's would be a good choice given their price and performance they are right up there.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #1,384 of 2,724
Thanks baron, but my amp is getting upgraded at Little Dot, so it'll be the Mundorf Silver Gold Oil's going in. I asked for at least 0.33uf. LD only have 0.22uf in stock, but they're going to order some higher values in for me.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #1,386 of 2,724
Maybe spending money on a new amp would not be worth it. What kind of tubes and headphones are you using with you're MK6?
The RCA 5691, Thomson 6080-WA combo is quite nice paired with the HD-800 or HE-560.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #1,387 of 2,724
Hey....... just got my amp back after some mods to the system as a whole as well as the caps and I can only say as well as the improved bass I'm hearing things I didn't hear before which surprised me. The caps are very cheap Ansar .47uF used in a lot of better quality audio and the increased capacitance does indeed improve the bass as well as well as quantity of bass. There's more punch, body and better layering. It sounds so much more real, more like you're there so it has plugged the gap that was there before. There's still that fantastic Little Dot sound but even better, more of a speaker type sound. Having said that I think the .47uF is as high as I would go because I don't want the bass to overpower the treble. Thats all on my first hearing so no burn in either. I plan to put some Mundort Supremes in eventually but I'm in no rush, I'm just enjoying it now, goosepimples and all......

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,388 of 2,724
Hey....... just got my amp back after some mods to the system as a whole as well as the caps and I can only say as well as the improved bass I'm hearing things I didn't hear before which surprised me. The caps are very cheap Ansar .47uF used in a lot of better quality audio and the increased capacitance does indeed improve the bass as well as well as quantity of bass. There's more punch, body and better layering. It sounds so much more real, more like you're there so it has plugged the gap that was there before. There's still that fantastic Little Dot sound but even better, more of a speaker type sound. Having said that I think the .47uF is as high as I would go because I don't want the bass to overpower the treble. Thats all on my first hearing so no burn in either. I plan to put some Mundort Supremes in eventually but I'm in no rush, I'm just enjoying it now, goosepimples and all......

May I ask who did the mods for you?

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,389 of 2,724
I would like to know aswell. If the amp get that much better I would want some upgrades aswell :D

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #1,390 of 2,724
My friendly neighbourhood electronics repair man, you need someone from the old school preferably who is into tube gear. I definately think this is a worthwhile mod because apart from anything else there is the comfort of knowing all the cheapo resistors have been replaced as G600 suggested, because two of mine were burnt. Also the original caps were fairly basic and just upgrading to standard audiophile grade, let alone the more expensive types, should bring about a good improvement. Now lets have a little listen.......

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #1,391 of 2,724
  Maybe spending money on a new amp would not be worth it. What kind of tubes and headphones are you using with you're MK6?
The RCA 5691, Thomson 6080-WA combo is quite nice paired with the HD-800 or HE-560.

RCA 6as7g Gray Plated Quad Matched with 6sn7 GTA Sophia Electric. By the way ... anyone know if Little Dot MK-VI drive greatly well the hifiman HE-6?

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #1,392 of 2,724
  RCA 6as7g Gray Plated Quad Matched with 6sn7 GTA Sophia Electric. By the way ... anyone know if Little Dot MK-VI drive greatly well the hifiman HE-6?

Yes.

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #1,393 of 2,724
Never heard the he-6 but read somewhere that this amp don't drive it that well?

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #1,395 of 2,724
No, im asking cuz someone else say that the WA5 drive 99% to he-6, and the wa5 is a amp that deliver around 8wpc.

Alright. Well when I got this amp I had HE-6 in my mind aswell. I browsed head-fi and read that people said it isn't an ideal match.

Would be interesting to hear if it matches well tho, if someone could find out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back