Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Aug 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #1,308 of 2,724
Silly question, if I use the balanced input (line) from my DAC's balanced out, would the headphone amp's single ended output be active, or just the balanced one. Thanks.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,310 of 2,724
Thanks, I figured, but better be sure.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #1,311 of 2,724

Swapped the fans for Noctua R8's and put a couple of fan filters on :) Can barely hear them spin.

One other thing, has any of you found a better volume knob? The plastic one feels very cheap.
Also do you think it would be possible to fit a stepped attenuator in the amp? I am thinking that they would be a bit bigger than a ALPS pot, which is similarly sized to the one sitting in it (the one with the motor).

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,313 of 2,724
I think that the + version might have had new fans, and also has single ended operation (though lots of people say that it hums with SE)

I don't think LD changed the fan during the introduction of + version, if you see a new fan somewhere in the production, probably because the stock runs out and the new supply is a different model, a regular BOM adjustment instead of product design change.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 24, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,314 of 2,724
  I just bought a Little Dot MK VI and was wondering what they changed in the "+" version?  Do the two amps use the same tubes?

The "+" version added the SE headphone output. 

Silly question, if I use the balanced input (line) from my DAC's balanced out, would the headphone amp's single ended output be active, or just the balanced one. Thanks.

Yes. There is a bit of a difference between balanced headphone amplifiers and balanced (XLR) output from a DAC. The XLR output from a DAC is there to eliminate interference in the signal. Balanced amplification has to do with splitting the signals to be amplified. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #1,315 of 2,724

Yes. There is a bit of a difference between balanced headphone amplifiers and balanced (XLR) output from a DAC. The XLR output from a DAC is there to eliminate interference in the signal. Balanced amplification has to do with splitting the signals to be amplified. 

Thanks but my question and concern was answered earlier. I'm  aware of what a balanced amplifier topology is, I simply wanted to know if both outputs are active, since none of my headphones currently have balanced cables. I'm currently on the market to buy an amp that has both SE and balanced HP out, and has lots of output to power HPs that might be difficult drive, in case I I ever need it in the future. This model is my short list.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,316 of 2,724

Thanks but my question and concern was answered earlier. I'm  aware of what a balanced amplifier topology is, I simply wanted to know if both outputs are active, since none of my headphones currently have balanced cables. I'm currently on the market to buy an amp that has both SE and balanced HP out, and has lots of output to power HPs that might be difficult drive, in case I I ever need it in the future. This model is my short list.

Well I was hoping to add a bit of information regarding "balanced DACs" and "balanced amplifiers", since they mean different things. 

I've owned a lot of balanced amplifiers, and the ones that have a SE output are usually some sort of compromise. The SE output never really sounds all that good, IMHO.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,317 of 2,724
I gotcha, I hope I wasn't rude. My Zdac from Parasound isn't a true balanced design,but I could still use the XLR outs with amps that accepts that output, but can still accommodate my current HPs for the time being with their SE HP out.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #1,318 of 2,724
Can someone recommend some tubes for me?  I'm looking for a sound that has: 

- powerful bass
- warm, sweet midrange with perhaps a bit of "girth" or "thickness"
- not harsh, cold, or analytical
- more euphonic than neutral
- but not too laid-back or too smooth (I thought the Shuguang CV-181-Z tubes I tried recently were too smooth and laid-back).

I purchased a second-hand Little Dot Mk VI that comes with Russian 6H13C for the output and Tung-sol 6SL7 GT for the driver tube.  If anyone has experience with these tubes, what do you think of them?

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #1,319 of 2,724
Power tubes: for powerful bass Sylvania 6080 Gold brand, or Bendix 6080WB graphite plates or TungSol 5998, probably in that order, for midrange sweetness TS, Sylvania and Bendix in that order, all horrendously expensive now. Regarding driver tubes, I would stick to what you have, they are the ones I stick with for clarity and midrange sweetness, and they are still affordable. The bass is one of the best I think for punch and definition but it is not overly powerful, indeed the LD does not do overly powerful bass in which case you might still be alright if you have Audeze LCD2's, or such like. If you don't like a smooth sound you could try a 7F7 type such as Raytheon which have more of a live feel to the sound are very good value still. There are a lot of tubes out there but most I suspect would not fit your bill.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #1,320 of 2,724
Does anyone know where I can buy the 6sn7 or 6sl7 tube extenders so I could use my cv-181 on my little dot . I have not tried but other people said that their base is too big for the little dot driver tube openings . I have a first version of the MKVI+ .
Please send me a link if possible.
Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back