Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Feb 23, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #1,172 of 2,724
atsmile.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #1,173 of 2,724
Hi Androb, if you are going to buy a Pro-ject Turntable then look around and ask questions...MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 16 VOLT AC MOTOR...... I got a Debut Carbon from the USA, and it has the 16 Volt AC motor which can be supplied from the Speedbox S,($120 US, 89 GBP) which supplies 16 Volt AC with a stability of 0.001%. The standard model Esprit Turntable will have a 15 Volt DC or an 18 Volt DC motor,and the Speedbox S will not work with that. The Speedbox S will work with any turntable with a 16 Volt AC motor. 

You might want to order a turntable from USA and buy a Speedbox S locally so that it works with your local power supply (I am not sure what voltage etc is supplied in Sweden)

Technical specificationsPro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit (DC)
Speed33, 45 (manual speed change)
Drive principlebelt drive
Platter300mm acrylic platter
Mains bearingstainless steel
Wow & flutter+/- 0,10%
Speed drift+/- 0,80%

Technische DatenPro-Ject Speed Box S
INPUT18V DC
OUTPUT16 V AC / 190mA (up to 3W max)
SPEED STABILITY+/- 0,001%

The Speedbox S has speed stability 800 times better than the standard Esprit or Carbon.

I will keep that in mind :D
Although I were in a hifi store some weeks ago, and the guy behind the desk said they are producing a new debut carbon esprit, that will replace the old one. I think they made some changes to the motor, so I'll wait abit with the purchase.

Dad also have like 4-5 TT I can use :D

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #1,174 of 2,724
Feb 25, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #1,175 of 2,724
Hi Karllin, you said 'I will be very interested in how that phono stage sounds, since I am definitely looking at getting into vinyl.'........I have been listening to the new phono-stage for 2 weeks now, and it is amazing, the best piece of audio equipment I have ever bought. It has brought my stereo to life. The set-up with the cheap Rega phono-stage was as warm and welcoming as an operating theatre. bland and clinical and void of life. After installing the Icon Audio PS1 Signature Edition (has the largest capacitors I have ever seen!) the sound is warm and organic, life like, just sounds so much like the performers are in the room with me, and a wonderful sound-stage. Symbols sound clear without being at all harsh, they sound just right. Bass is perfect. I understand why people are saying that this phono-stage is the new reference for phono-stages....... you can get better than this but for a lot more money.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #1,176 of 2,724
This afternoon I've replaced the 4 coupling caps and the 8 5W resistor.
It was painful, but it's amazing right at first start.

More details with ugly photos and a little report after some burn in.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,178 of 2,724
I was leaning towards Audyn True Copper 0.33µF, but they are hard to find in stock. I finally bought 0.68 ones, probably overkill but the "bass early cutoff" is now gone. I've also swapped all 8 330 Ohm resistor for Kiwame carbon film.

I'll let the capacitor burn a few hours before reporting.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,179 of 2,724
  I was leaning towards Audyn True Copper 0.33µF, but they are hard to find in stock. I finally bought 0.68 ones, probably overkill but the "bass early cutoff" is now gone. I've also swapped all 8 330 Ohm resistor for Kiwame carbon film.

This?

http://www.parts-express.com/audyn-true-copper-cap-033uf-630v-copper-foil-capacitor--027-152

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #1,180 of 2,724

I'll let the capacitor burn a few hours before reporting.

With my 1.0uf suggestion you'd get a bit more bass.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #1,182 of 2,724
  This afternoon I've replaced the 4 coupling caps and the 8 5W resistor.
It was painful, but it's amazing right at first start.

More details with ugly photos and a little report after some burn in.

I am looking forward to seeing photos and getting information regarding the resistor upgrade. I have the Mundorf Supreme 0.22uF caps, and I would be happy to hear from experienced people who can tell me which resistors I could/should replace to get better performance,and which brands are recommended. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #1,183 of 2,724
Regarding the big resistor, I don't know.
Intellectually upgrading from unknown cheap resistor to high end ones is great, personnally I don't even know if they are in the audio path.
I removed them because one was brown, maybe overheat or badly made.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #1,184 of 2,724

I found these large Jensen Capacitors in my phono-stage, they are 35mm in diameter and 55mm long. These are used by Icon Audio to upgrade amplifiers to their Signature Edition best quality products. 

Regarding the resistors, I would like to see the photos when you have some so that I can see where they are. I might try to find out if they are in the audio path. I have a soldering iron and spare time and I would like to explore any upgrades that I could do to the Little Dot MK VI+.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #1,185 of 2,724

Here you've got one bad picture... but you can see the 4 gree Kiwame 5W 330 Ohm.
There are four more at the PCB's back, parallel to the 4 blue Capacitor.

I'm now looking for a perforated metal plate I can mount to close the amp, and mount some fan on it (with external PSU).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back