Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Sep 12, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #736 of 2,724
Awesome, thanks mate.  

And what would you recommend for the driver tubes? 6sn7 or 6sl7.  The 6sn7 seem to be a bit expensive.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #739 of 2,724

You can get cheap 6sl7/6sn7 in the form of 6c8g, 6f8g or 7n7, 7F7 - will need adapter though.

+1.

6SN7 are dirty cheap but a balanced pair or quad can cost quite a bit, nothing expensive compared to say a single GEC 6AS7G or so.

I also greatly prefer the 6F8G's using an adaptor in place of a 6SN7, more body and layering to the music. Not much variants to choose from though compared to the vast amount of different 6SN7's out there.

John did recommend 7N7's in his impressions but I haven't had luck grabbing a cheap set with adaptor to try out.

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #740 of 2,724
Cheers for the replies guys.  I have one more query, I will be connecting this amp to the balanced outputs of a MDAC and using He500.  If I use XLR cables and connect the MDAC to the balanced outputs of the amp, do I still need a balanced cable for the He500 to get the balanced sound? or can I connect the headphones straight into the 1/4" jack and it's still balanced as the source is balanced?

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #742 of 2,724
  Cheers for the replies guys.  I have one more query, I will be connecting this amp to the balanced outputs of a MDAC and using He500.  If I use XLR cables and connect the MDAC to the balanced outputs of the amp, do I still need a balanced cable for the He500 to get the balanced sound? or can I connect the headphones straight into the 1/4" jack and it's still balanced as the source is balanced?

Source will be balanced but you need to run balanced out to utilize balanced powah. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #743 of 2,724
Hello.  Long time lurker, first time customer here.  Last week I ordered the MK VI+ directly from LD, so I'm hoping it will be here by the end of the month.

Anyway, I'm curious to know what everyone is using for a balanced source?

I've narrowed it down to the Musical Fidelity M1DAC and the Teac UD-H01.  I've had the Teac DS-H01 for a long time and love the sound of it, so I figured the UD-H01 would be just as good if not better.  And it's exactly half the price of the M1.  But then I also find myself looking at the M1's website just about every day.  Thoughts?  Alternatives?

One last question.  On the current MK VI+, are both the balanced and SE outputs live regardless of which input is being used?  Or is it balanced in / balanced out & SE in / SE out only?

Thanks!

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #745 of 2,724
That's what I was hoping.  I wanted to make sure I could hear a balanced source through the SE output, because there will be times I'll have to use my closed pair of SE headphones.  Then when the rest of the family goes upstairs to bed I can break out the balanced open headphones.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #746 of 2,724
OMG the price of this thing... it's perfect :D 

SO I'm looking at grabbing one of these in the Sprig of Next Year, any one have any recommendation for a good set of tubes to roll into to this to make it more suitable for Low Gain Headphones [on the SE out put] and give it a very airy and detailed almost solid state like sound signiture? I ofc want those lovely tube mids... but I want all the detail of Solid State, including the nice sound stage and depth My budget for extra tubes will be at $166 with shipping 

:D My source will b my Audio GD10ES2 [it has 2 3pin XLR out puts set to Fixed Line out] that is ofc dual outputs from the DAC 

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #747 of 2,724
  OMG the price of this thing... it's perfect :D 

SO I'm looking at grabbing one of these in the Sprig of Next Year, any one have any recommendation for a good set of tubes to roll into to this to make it more suitable for Low Gain Headphones [on the SE out put] and give it a very airy and detailed almost solid state like sound signiture? I ofc want those lovely tube mids... but I want all the detail of Solid State, including the nice sound stage and depth My budget for extra tubes will be at $166 with shipping 

:D My source will b my Audio GD10ES2 [it has 2 3pin XLR out puts set to Fixed Line out] that is ofc dual outputs from the DAC 

Tubes are very personal. Best of both world usually costs an arm an a leg 
rolleyes.gif
. I'd suggest going through all the budget bargain on ebay first (those $10-20 bucks a pair) before dropping money into mega expensive stuff.

About gain, your ES2 can be used as preamp. Use the balance output of the little dot - and lower the output of your ES2 in case you have no volume control. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #748 of 2,724

Tubes are very personal. Best of both world usually costs an arm an a leg 
rolleyes.gif
. I'd suggest going through all the budget bargain on ebay first (those $10-20 bucks a pair) before dropping money into mega expensive stuff.

About gain, your ES2 can be used as preamp. Use the balance output of the little dot - and lower the output of your ES2 in case you have no volume control. 

It can be used as a PreAmp and a Fixed Line out, would I want to double amp it? Still I would assume the VIII SE has it's own Volume Control [I would set the gain to low on the ES2 before going Fixed into the VIII SE]

and I want the MOST Solid State tubes I can get, any recommendations. As honestly... I don't like tubes that much I like solid state BUT a "solid state" sounding tube will still have more even harmonics than my Solid state EVER will so by default a cheap "solid state" like tube should do the trick

In addition I'm thinking of using the VIII se to drive a balanced T90 or Dt 880 [both balanced] Not sure what other high end phones I might get, additionally would this have enough current to drive something like a Hifiman HE 4 or HE 6? I know it's got the volts but does it have le amps? 

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #749 of 2,724

It can be used as a PreAmp and a Fixed Line out, would I want to double amp it? Still I would assume the VIII SE has it's own Volume Control [I would set the gain to low on the ES2 before going Fixed into the VIII SE]

and I want the MOST Solid State tubes I can get, any recommendations. As honestly... I don't like tubes that much I like solid state BUT a "solid state" sounding tube will still have more even harmonics than my Solid state EVER will so by default a cheap "solid state" like tube should do the trick

In addition I'm thinking of using the VIII se to drive a balanced T90 or Dt 880 [both balanced] Not sure what other high end phones I might get, additionally would this have enough current to drive something like a Hifiman HE 4 or HE 6? I know it's got the volts but does it have le amps? 

Depending on the implementation of the preamp, Kingwa's in particular is pretty darn transparent I must say. Also I thought you're getting the mk6; if you get the mk8se there'll be no problem since its power output is much less than its mk6 siblings. Always use the balance out though, the SE output is likely only getting signal from half the amp.

"Solid state" like tube isn't cheap though. My Telefunken and Amperex are among the most expensive in my collections. But if you want the clarity for dirt cheap, you can try some Genalex re-issue 12AT7

If you're getting a mk8se, why not get a Hd800 though (instead of the hifiman orthos)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back