Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Dec 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #196 of 2,724

Quote:
I'm not an owner (yet), but I'd like to know if anyone can tell me if there are Little Dot online sellers inside Europe (if there are any)...

Thanks in advance.

pm portuguese sent.
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #197 of 2,724

Quote:
you confirm the compatibility with the 6sn7 tube family?
i asx because with the new release of this amplifiers, this tube does not appear in the user manual

Yes that's confirmed in the review http://www.head-fi.org/t/425314/yet-another-little-dot-mkvi-amp-review but you can always email David if you wish.

Quote:
.......And as for that HUGE tube rolling post, that's great info! Little by little I think I'm putting together a good picture of what tubes I want to buy for this thing. I was also happy to read that you're using the amp with some ATH-A2000s. That's a pair of headphones that's on my "soon to buy" list. Can you fil in any more details on them with this amp, pros and cons :) ?

I love these headphones.  And they are a good combo with the amp. Before I got them I was aware that they are obviously not perfect but for the price they looked the best compromise. First the flaws I've heard mentioned: some lack of realism in the sound, cold sound, too crisp top end, possible lack of clarity in soundstage eg under high volume, light base, sometimes muddled mid range. I have not been able to confirm any of these supposed defects with this amp. The sound is ultra realistic so I dismiss that out of hand, there is a nice warm tinge with this amp, the top end is beautifully smooth, the soundstage is clear with height and depth though not overly large but quite realistic, and I have not been able to confirm any muddling of mid range sounds, on the contrary multi layered music is produced with a quite amazing clarity. Now to the strengths of these cans: They have great dynamics and can produce the quietest sounds such as bell chimes with great clarity, they are very exciting to listen to - not boring like the Sennheiser HD600's which I have also had - yet they are not fatigueing, they are exceptionally balanced throughout the frequency range with no roll off that I can detect, and they are exceptionally detailed. The base is not for base heads but it is realistic with good textural details but does not provide much of a slam which is alright by me and the treble is beautifully smooth and quite liquid sounding. The major supposed flaw is the supposed lack of clarity in the mid range. I believe this is related to its main strength which is that of a very musical and rewardingly emotional sound due to the forward sound in the mid range which is emphasized to bring out the magic of say, female voices. This can sound muddled to some but as I've said I have not found this to be so. All I can hear is the beautifully detailed, layered sound which comes across perfectly. It may be that the amp has neutralized these possible defects but all I can say is that I would be most reluctant to change these phones. The only reason I will do so later this year probably is because of the difficutly in recabling them for balanced mode which is why I wan to go for the HiFiMans mentioned earlier which will not have this problem.

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #198 of 2,724

for the first release, i know this.
i had one and i used the 6sn7.
but for the second version, littledot not confirm this
Quote:
Yes that's confirmed in the review http://www.head-fi.org/t/425314/yet-another-little-dot-mkvi-amp-review but you can always email David if you wish.

I love these headphones.  And they are a good combo with the amp. Before I got them I was aware that they are obviously not perfect but for the price they looked the best compromise. First the flaws I've heard mentioned: some lack of realism in the sound, cold sound, too crisp top end, possible lack of clarity in soundstage eg under high volume, light base, sometimes muddled mid range. I have not been able to confirm any of these supposed defects with this amp. The sound is ultra realistic so I dismiss that out of hand, there is a nice warm tinge with this amp, the top end is beautifully smooth, the soundstage is clear with height and depth though not overly large but quite realistic, and I have not been able to confirm any muddling of mid range sounds, on the contrary multi layered music is produced with a quite amazing clarity. Now to the strengths of these cans: They have great dynamics and can produce the quietest sounds such as bell chimes with great clarity, they are very exciting to listen to - not boring like the Sennheiser HD600's which I have also had - yet they are not fatigueing, they are exceptionally balanced throughout the frequency range with no roll off that I can detect, and they are exceptionally detailed. The base is not for base heads but it is realistic with good textural details but does not provide much of a slam which is alright by me and the treble is beautifully smooth and quite liquid sounding. The major supposed flaw is the supposed lack of clarity in the mid range. I believe this is related to its main strength which is that of a very musical and rewardingly emotional sound due to the forward sound in the mid range which is emphasized to bring out the magic of say, female voices. This can sound muddled to some but as I've said I have not found this to be so. All I can hear is the beautifully detailed, layered sound which comes across perfectly. It may be that the amp has neutralized these possible defects but all I can say is that I would be most reluctant to change these phones. The only reason I will do so later this year probably is because of the difficutly in recabling them for balanced mode which is why I wan to go for the HiFiMans mentioned earlier which will not have this problem.

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #199 of 2,724

Quote:
for the first release, i know this.
i had one and i used the 6sn7.
but for the second version, littledot not confirm this

The only difference between the mkvi and the mkvi+ is the addition of single ended connections. I've been using the 6sn7 for a  year with no problems. If you want to confirm this you should check it out with LD but I understand they would not comment because they do not want to condone non standard tubes. Sorry I can't help any more.

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #200 of 2,724
Further to my last post alota you will be pleased to hear David has just confirmed that 6sn7 tubes are fine for the mkvi+!

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #202 of 2,724
I want to buy MK VI+ to drive my LCD2. I have no balanced cable for them and my cd player has only cinch out. The disadvantage is that the neutrik input is on the back of the amplifier. Is it possible to use the single ended input with the balance output on the front? When yes, where can i buy a converter from 6,35mm to xlr for the lcd2?
Has somebody experience with LCD2 and MKVI+ in single ended mode?

Jan 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #203 of 2,724

Quote:
I want to buy MK VI+ to drive my LCD2. I have no balanced cable for them and my cd player has only cinch out. The disadvantage is that the neutrik input is on the back of the amplifier. Is it possible to use the single ended input with the balance output on the front? When yes, where can i buy a converter from 6,35mm to xlr for the lcd2?
Has somebody experience with LCD2 and MKVI+ in single ended mode?

the mk Vi unbalanced is not big deal.
more logic to buy an unbalanced but good amplifier.
if you convert the cinh to xlr the voltage out of the source is the same.
for this reason, every polarity is drived with half voltage from the source.
i´m not good to explain this but i have one example.
the output source is 1V.
if you convert the unbalanced to balanced 1 v drive the + and - of one channel(0.5V for the + and 0.5V for the -)

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #206 of 2,724
Hey Trance! Where are you located? The MKVI+ is really phenomenal with the LCD2. I thought it compensated some of the weaknesses in it. Do you have the stock LCD2 cable? If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can reterminate the cable really easily.

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #207 of 2,724
Hello elwappo99,

i'm from germany. Yes, I have the stock cable. How good is the MK VI+ with single ended. Have you test it?
I have a CD Player with only cinch out. So when i make the cable of my LCD2 balanced I have no fully balanced setup. Single Ended input with balanced output, is this working?

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #208 of 2,724

Quote:
Hello elwappo99,

i'm from germany. Yes, I have the stock cable. How good is the MK VI+ with single ended. Have you test it?
I have a CD Player with only cinch out. So when i make the cable of my LCD2 balanced I have no fully balanced setup. Single Ended input with balanced output, is this working?

The MKVI+ with single ended input is absolutely fine. The MKVI+ with single ended output has some issues. As long as you are using the 4 pin XLR balanced in the front you will be great.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #209 of 2,724

Quote:
The MKVI+ with single ended input is absolutely fine. The MKVI+ with single ended output has some issues. As long as you are using the 4 pin XLR balanced in the front you will be great.

i´m sorry but i think that is not logical to buy a balanced amplifier with a unbalanced source
is best to buy an unbalanced otl or another amplifier with 2A3 or 330B tubes, for example

Users who are viewing this thread

Back