Little Dot MK III: An Exclusive Review (56k warning!)
Jul 9, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #76 of 132
Changed to some Ediswan EF92 and im getting some really different result. Soundstage has reduced and vocals have become much more intimate. Transparency and details have reduced and tube warmth has been re-emphasized. The "weighty sound" Headphony mentioned is much introduced into the amp. In other words, the EF92 tubes turned the MKIII LESS like a S.S. and more like a LD2++. Wow, this just goes to show how versatile this amp really is! Has my journey to tube-rolling just begun? NOOOOOO MY WALLET!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #78 of 132
Hello mates! My original plan is to buy MKIII and also a pair of K701. However, as you guys say low-impedance cans like K701 are not a good match with MKIII, is it good to HD595 (which I currently own)? Thus, can anyone of you tell me the address and the ways to reach the designer? I hope to go there to buy in person instead of waiting for delivery. (and it would be cheaper, I suppose)

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #80 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokofong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello mates! My original plan is to buy MKIII and also a pair of K701. However, as you guys say low-impedance cans like K701 are not a good match with MKIII, is it good to HD595 (which I currently own)? Thus, can anyone of you tell me the address and the ways to reach the designer? I hope to go there to buy in person instead of waiting for delivery. (and it would be cheaper, I suppose)

Read the first post. OP used HD595 to test it. This amp is a good match for low impedance headphones, there is impedance switch built-in so you can adjust gain and impedance to fit your headphones.

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #81 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by sop_e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headphony,

How is the little dot III with your MS2i? I am looking for an inexpensive amp for a set of grados and was wondering how well this amp would work.

Thanks

Not the best match for the MS2i IMO. The MS2i likes a smooth and sweet sounding amp. The MKIII is a bit forward and aggressive for it.

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #82 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review! However, the default setting does not quite match the K701 yet. You need either a C or D configuration for the K701's low impedance. I'm switching to some EF92 Ediswan drivers as I type, will post impression later.

Interesting. I've played around with the switches, and even with the lowest gain setting I'm only able to get up to around 10 o'clock with the K701's before it gets too loud.

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #83 of 132
I have the MKIII sitting in front of me now, listening with pleasure! Before I even connected it, I switched to low-gain. (since all I use now are low-ohm headphones)

At first I didnt notice much difference when connected directly to my soundcard (amp was only warmed up for a minute or so), but kept listening and started to notice some wierdness in midrange. It seemed... I dunno... more liquid and less... rough? I dunno, but its great.
biggrin.gif
Now amp is warmed up for 30 minutes and sounding good.

This isnt very warm amp, but definetly not harsh! Quite neutral with with some tube tonality. Im 100% sure that this is because of the stock chinese tubes. Adding proper tubes would perhaps bring tube warmth to highs too. So far I think it sound really good with Alessandros aswell.

These work with Ultrasone Proline 750 really well too! The lower midrange, which is slightly empty with PL750, is bit more full.

Differences are still quite small, but noticeable. Im already wondering what kind of tubes I should roll in to enhance them...
smily_headphones1.gif

*edit* There is one big difference though. Soundstage is quite a bit bigger. Even in some metal songs with very little soundstage limited to left and right, it sounds less annoyingly left-righty with MKIII. Screw crossfeed! With this soundstage is a lot more fleshened than what my Elite Pro can produce alone.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #84 of 132
Quote:

Hi, R U from China? The designer is in Shenzhen, China.
There are some cities in China where you can find a set for a try.

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #85 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, R U from China? The designer is in Shenzhen, China.
There are some cities in China where you can find a set for a try.

I study in the UK but I am from Hong Kong. I have just come back for vacation and hope to reach his store. Shenzhen is quite convenient for me to go and hopefully I can get the right contact from any of you. Can you suggest me some ways to buy MK III?

By the way, is this website real? Thus, can I reach the store according the the address mentioned on the page?

http://www.little-tube.com/chinese/aboutus.htm

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #86 of 132
Quote:

I study in the UK but I am from Hong Kong. I have just come back for vacation and hope to reach his store. Shenzhen is quite convenient for me to go and hopefully I can get the right contact from any of you. Can you suggest me some ways to buy MK III?

By the way, is this website real? Thus, can I reach the store according the the address mentioned on the page?

http://www.little-tube.com/chinese/aboutus.htm

ya, I guess you can do so.
You can call him b4 going. There are some other shops for trial listening as well in Shenzhen.
If I'm not wrong, the designer appeared in this thread. You can try PM him
600smile.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #87 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read the first post. OP used HD595 to test it. This amp is a good match for low impedance headphones, there is impedance switch built-in so you can adjust gain and impedance to fit your headphones.

Hmm... haven't really looked at my amp much - where is the switch? I've been spending too much time jsut listening to fave tunes
600smile.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #88 of 132
i really like the review, it was very good.

couple questions:

- does the volume control affect the line out?
- one of the reviews i've seen mentions they had a ground loop (buzz)
problem, did you notice anything?

sounds like a good match with my HD650's..

-carl

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #90 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by cstan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really like the review, it was very good.

couple questions:

- does the volume control affect the line out?
- one of the reviews i've seen mentions they had a ground loop (buzz)
problem, did you notice anything?

sounds like a good match with my HD650's..

-carl

1. yes
2. no idea, I'm using only 2-pin plug...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back