Little Dot MK III: An Exclusive Review (56k warning!)
Jul 3, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #61 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is soon tested. I just ordered LDMK3 myself. (penguindude, you are very evil person.
evil_smiley.gif
)

David is an excellent sales man and wonderful person to deal with.
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif
Sorry for being the evil one!

You will definitely enjoy the MK3 with a forward-sounding headphone. I tested two of my Koss headphones (KSC75 and H/V 1 with a bright and fast sound), it was a joy listening to them with the MKIII. The soundstage never sounded so impressive. This little thing is almost on par with my 30lbs legendary Marantz 2226B integrated head-amp/ receiver.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the MKIII paired with the K501 is FANTASTIC. Really brings out the bass in the K501 and enhances the warm liquid mids of the K501. What a versatile amplifier.

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #62 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
Sorry for being the evil one!

...snip...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the MKIII paired with the K501 is FANTASTIC. Really brings out the bass in the K501 and enhances the warm liquid mids of the K501. What a versatile amplifier.

Maybe evil, but i'm sure my ears will change my mind once my MKIII arrives
biggrin.gif
! I've got a nice pair of k501s + hd580s waiting for them
580smile.gif
!

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #63 of 132
I have seen Mr.Yang when I went to his company last year where I bought my first amp little dot 3.
Mr.Yang is a handsome man especially when he is speaking,haha
I think his new mk series is much better than old series,both they looks and they sounds

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #65 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must be luck because mine is dead quiet with no sign hiss of the grounding issue. She loosening up superbly with my Senn HD580. BUY IT PEOPLE!!!!!

Hahaha, where are you from? I'm guessing the ground loop issue is regionally dependent.

Jul 8, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #69 of 132
Bah, this isnt fair! I got my MK3 and EMS broke all my tubes
frown.gif
. Thankfully David is a awsome guy and sent me a full new set that im waiting on for the time being, i still have a micro-tube from him to listen to for the wait.

Jul 9, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #71 of 132
So I've had the MKIII for a couple days now and have some first impressions vs the Darkvoice 336i.

First of all, a few disclaimers: the Darkvoice is optimized to my liking with Svetlana 6H13C and GE 6SN7GTB tubes, while the MKIII is stock. The total cost of ownership of the Darkvoice with my tube collection is roughly twice that of the MKIII.

Source was a Benchmark DAC1 USB with foobar playing LAME VBR MP3's from the PC. Most of my listening was done with an AKG K701, with some DT990 05 (250 ohm), and MS2i thrown in. Music: Jazz, vocal jazz, rock, classical, ambient, hip-hop.

Build and cosmetics: The MKIII is every bit as nice looking in real life as it is in pictures. Build quality and design are very good IMO. Little Dot has come a long way here from the LDII series. The MKIII looks very nice next to, or on top of, the DAC1. The MKIII is considerably lighter and a fair amount smaller than the Darkvoice.

Soundwise, the MKIII is more forward, solid-state-like, fast and punchy sounding. Transparent but with nice tubey liquidity, if not tube warmth. Closer to the headphone out of the DAC1. Not bright but can be harsh with a few poorly mastered recordings. Contrary to one review, I really liked this amp with hip-hop, bass is fast, tight, and punchy here. Not entirely black, with the volume down you can still faintly hear music from the DAC. The pre-out is surprisingly competent, much better than the DV336i.

The DV336i is darker in comparison, with more nuanced and prominent low frequencies, more powerful sounding. With my tube upgrades, slightly more resolving across the spectrum. Overall this sound is more to my liking. I am slightly biased to a warm and weighty sound. Tube upgrades are key for the DV336i, though, with stock tubes it sounds a bit veiled and muddy IMO. Soundstage accuracy seems about equal with both amps. The pre-out on the DV336i is quite poor to my ears, with a slight hum consistently.

My early verdict on the MKIII: This amp is a phenomenal value for money. It's hard to imagine a better performing amp in this price range. Build quality and sound quality are delightful for the price. The K701's are not the best match for this amp, being very slightly leaning towards a treble emphasis. The MKIII pairs better with the DT990, with more bass presence. The MKIII would likely pair very well with Sennheisers. Unfortunately, I don't have access now to my HD650's, so I haven't been able to try these. With the MS2i I slightly prefer the DV336i.

So how about tube upgrades for the MKIII? My hunch is that this wouldn't change the MKIII as much as tube upgrades have for the DV336i. The 336i is reputedly sensitive to tube changes, and in stock form begs for tubes upgrades, being a bit veiled stock. The MKIII is already very transparent sounding out of the box. I suspect the stock tubes are well picked and already relatively good, adding to the great value of the MKIII.

Jul 9, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #72 of 132
Nice to see another review of the MKIII. Closer to my own particular view but not all the way there.

I don't find it transparent at all. I see a significant boost in the upper range. To me this does make it harsh and bright sounding.

I do use it with AKG701s which as you say may not be an ideal match. BUT I detect the same boost and harshness when it feeds my amp, so it is not the headphones.

I've just been playing with a STAX tube system. This is completely transparent. Unlike the MKIII it initially sounds less impressive but is much more pleasant to listen to for hours.

Jul 9, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #73 of 132
Have you two tried to play with impedance switch and with what kind of results per headphone?

MY MKIII should be here tomorrow or at wednesday. ARGH!!! The wait!

Jul 9, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #74 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you two tried to play with impedance switch and with what kind of results per headphone?

I haven't, but that could be interesting. I am only able to get up to about 9 o'clock with the K701's before it gets too loud. This is with the default setting which I understand is max.

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #75 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't, but that could be interesting. I am only able to get up to about 9 o'clock with the K701's before it gets too loud. This is with the default setting which I understand is max.

Great review! However, the default setting does not quite match the K701 yet. You need either a C or D configuration for the K701's low impedance. I'm switching to some EF92 Ediswan drivers as I type, will post impression later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back