Little Dot MK III: An Exclusive Review (56k warning!)
Jun 27, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #46 of 132
DSC01372600x450.jpg

Opening the front panel using 3/32 driver head reveals MKIII's potentiometer. It's the same brand/performance level as the one found on the LD2+/++. However, this time, 50K is used instead of the 100K formerly used on the Ld2+/++.

One good thing about the MKIII is that the pot seems easily upgradeable. Unlike the LD2++ where there is no space for onboard larger/higher-end pot, the MKIII's potentiometer is detached from the PCB and is connected through wires and plug jack. I'm thinking of modding my MKIII with an ALPS Blue Velvet (used on the MK IV/SE).

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #47 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzrik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really only use it for listening to vinyl.

Linn Sondek LP12, Akito Arm, Blue point cartridge
Lingo power supply, Tom evans micro groove phono stage
From there being plugged in direct to the little dot
AKG 701 headphones

Normally into an affordable valve amp company amp with el34 tubes
System audio 1260 speakers

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

R

Not to hijack this thread... but, just a brief sidetrack - how well does the Tom Evans phono stage do with this set up?

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #48 of 132
Hi Grado. It depends on which setup you mean!!

I have been really happy with my main setup for years now. Always gorgeous to listen to and capable of wowing me sometimes when I turn the sound up etc.

If you mean with the current headphone stup, I'm not satisfied with that but I wouldn't blame the tom evans. Are you thinking of getting one?

One nice touch is that apparently, if you get a new cartridge he will retune the phono stage for free(well I guess you pay postage).

Richard

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #49 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzrik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean with the current headphone stup, I'm not satisfied with that but I wouldn't blame the tom evans. Are you thinking of getting one?

One nice touch is that apparently, if you get a new cartridge he will retune the phono stage for free(well I guess you pay postage).

I mean the phono stage in a headphone setup. I have the LP12 and have been thinking of getting a phono stage to use with my vinyl recordings and my headphone setup. I've considered the MF and Grado phono stages, but need to do some more research. Your's just caught my attention, because you have the LP12.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #50 of 132
I read this review, did some research, calculated how much I would need to spend, then last week decided to take the leap into tube-dom.

Let me describe a little of what I have:
- Panasonic 5-disk DVD changer
- Marantz SR540 home-theater amplifier
- Yamaha HS80 Studio Monitors

I listen to all kinds of music, including rock, classical, vocals, even some of my kids' music... I had a pair of Acarian Alon IV's which I sold last year, and bought the HS80's. I really like them, and love the way I can adjust for room bloom, highs, mids and lows etc. I leave the volume pot. at the recommended middle position.

Through the Marantz, I really had to tame the upper mids and low highs. Even then, music has an immediacy my previous speakers (driven by an old NAD218THX) couldn't match.

I thought: an ideal candidate for a tube pre-amp section, and likely the Mk III, which has been raved about here. I couldn't really afford the regular (non-headphone amp variety), and initially thought the Mk III might be a compromise.

Was I wrong!

I had to try both the 10x and 2x dip switch settings (impedance variation)before settling on 5x. At 10x and 2x, there was a constant hum on the right channel), with some hiss on the left as well. At 5x it was quiet as a mouse. To make things even better, I plugged in a trio of Audioprism Quietline noise filters adjacent to the speakers (remember, the Yamaha's are active).

Listen was to whatever I could lay my hands on. Wasn't anything that was less than engaging! With audiophile faves, I could certainly understand why tubes are so preferred by... well. audiophiles. Even with regular Chicago, Stones, music drew me in like never before.

Even Toto's Fahrenheit, which is probably the worst-recorded CD in my 1300+ collection, Lea sounded as dreamy as it first did when my wife and I played it over a Sony boombox all those years ago.

The Mk III runs very warm (8 on a scale of 1 ~ 10 with 1 turned off, 5 being my Marantz, and 10 too hot to touch) so I was careful to warn the kids off. Tubes glow a nice orange too, especially when the lights are dimmed. I never tried any 'phones because I don't own a pair, and it doesn't look like I'll be buying a pair soon. The Mk III will do duty as a preamp!

Warm-up is 5 ~ 10 mins, and soundstage fleshes out (literally) before you.

daniel
Singapore

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #51 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcheetec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I never tried any 'phones because I don't own a pair, and it doesn't look like I'll be buying a pair soon. The Mk III will do duty as a preamp!

Wow, do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of headphones, even relatively cheap ones. Something like an Alessandro MS-1 might be nice with that set-up and the music you cited.
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #52 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of headphones, even relatively cheap ones. Something like an Alessandro MS-1 might be nice with that set-up and the music you cited.
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Do you think the MS-1 synergizes right with the MKIII? I am thinking of an MS-1 to be my next headphone.

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #54 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think the MS-1 synergizes right with the MKIII? I am thinking of an MS-1 to be my next headphone.

To be clear, I have not heard the MKIII. I find the synergy between the MS2i and LDII+ to be superb. Based on the reviews here, and my experience with Alessandro / Little Dot, I can only imagine that an MS-1 and MKIII combo might be nice. The MKIII seems like a very versatile amp. With budget constraints, and if you listen to rock, you can't go wrong with the MS1.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #55 of 132
guys i think im finally down between these two amps for my senn's.. my source right now is the av-710..

i love the classy look of a tube amp compared to the box of a SS amp... i know that isnt a reason to choose an amp.. so im asking which do you believe would offer the best sound quality? i dont have any high end cables to speak of, though i plan on upgrading to the standard 1/4 plug cable...

help!
580smile.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #56 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is soon tested. I just ordered LDMK3 myself. (penguindude, you are very evil person.
evil_smiley.gif
)

David is an excellent sales man and wonderful person to deal with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #57 of 132
I am torn here. Get a LDII++ for a steal price... or get a new MkIII for $200...

The LDII++ I'm looking at has upgraded tubes (Sovtek 6c19pi-B and Mullard cv4015). Would the MkIII be THAT much better?

Would be using with 2005 DT880.

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #59 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is soon tested. I just ordered LDMK3 myself. (penguindude, you are very evil person.
evil_smiley.gif
)

David is an excellent sales man and wonderful person to deal with.
smily_headphones1.gif

penguindude indeed is a very evil person
wink.gif

Make sure you post here what you think of the MKIII!

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #60 of 132
Oh, here is list of different tube types MkIII can use according to David.

Jumper Unbridged: WE301A/B, GE5654, M8100, CV4010, EF95, 6JI and all derivatives and equivalents of these vacuum tubes

Jumper Bridged (in place): EF92, EF91, CV138, CV131, W77, 6CQ6, V884, VP6, M8161

Lots of choices with lot of equivalents! Finding tube replacements or tube-rolling candidates shouldnt be difficult!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back