Little Dot MK II and Macbook?
Feb 23, 2008 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

iReally

New Head-Fier
My current set up is:
MacBook (Headphone Jack) -> Bass Boost cMoy -> SR 80s

I am really itching to get a tube amp. I understand that adding a good DAC to my rig may be a logical next step before changing amps, but I am just so into tubes. My obsession with tube amps stems from being a guitarist. This past fall I restored a late 50's Fender Deluxe guitar amp and ever since I have been a complete believer in tube sound.

From what i understand, a DAC would give me better clarity, decreased noise (as in noise from my MacBook), and probably a better sound stage. While all of that sounds good, what matters to me more than anything is getting a sound that is warm and organic. I realize that using a computer as a source isn't the greatest way to get warmth, but I'm a poor college student and this is what I have.

I am not disappointed with the clarity of my set up now, and I haven't really had issues with noise (although I have heard others complain about noise from their MacBooks). Sometimes there are some funny popping sounds and such, but I don't notice them when there is music playing.

Is the idea of :: MacBook -> Little Dot MK II -> SR 80s :: absolutely ridiculous? Will there be an issue because the signal from the headphone jack is powered?

I love my SR 80s and I have to keep my MacBook as my source. I just really want a tube amp in an attempt to create a warm/organic sound (and because they are so cool).

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ian

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 13
Not a bad idea, getting the MkII also allows you to tube roll until you find the right sound for yourself. You will want to consider adding a DAC and upgrading your headphone down the road, but for now getting the Little Dot is a good option to go for.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 13
Cool. So there won't be any technical problems with running a 1/8" to dual RCA cable straight from my MacBook headphone jack to the back of the Little Dot MK II?

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 13
No, that connection won't pose any issues. Only thing a DAC will do is to give you a true line-level output from the macbook, instead of boosting an already amplified headphone jack output. I would keep the macbook's output to around 67-72%, so as to eliminate overgain and/or distortion.

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 13
I'd recommend getting at least something basic like an Alien DAC ($42) to go with the MKII. Going directly from my Macbook to my MKIII sounds pretty much the same but louder- maybe a tiny bit more detailed.

When I feed the optical out on the Macbook to an external soundcard and then the MKIII the difference is huge.

Feb 23, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 13
I would not even consider investing in another headamp of any kind unless you first get an external DAC. My Power Mac G4 has a "real" line out (which I still don't use), but with a MacBook, there's just no way I can see this investment paying off.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 13
Alright, thanks for the info everyone. When I was looking at DACs before and I couldn't really find anything below about $150. If I can get an Alien DAC for about $40, that sounds like it will certainly be the next addition to my rig. I looked into the Alien briefly before making this post and I'm seeing a lot of DIY stuff. Is there somewhere I can buy one complete at a cheap price (as in around $40-50)? If not, how easy of a DIY project is this? I could probably handle the project if it isn't extremely in depth...

Thanks,
-Ian

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iReally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, thanks for the info everyone. When I was looking at DACs before and I couldn't really find anything below about $150. If I can get an Alien DAC for about $40, that sounds like it will certainly be the next addition to my rig. I looked into the Alien briefly before making this post and I'm seeing a lot of DIY stuff. Is there somewhere I can buy one complete at a cheap price (as in around $40-50)? If not, how easy of a DIY project is this? I could probably handle the project if it isn't extremely in depth...

Thanks,
-Ian

It's a DIY, but you can get the full kit from Glass Jar audio for $42 IIRC so that you don't have to go hunting for parts. The project isn't too difficult, it's probably the next step up from a CMoy, and Glass Jar can solder on the SOIC chip for you to save you some headaches.

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

My current set up is:
MacBook (Headphone Jack) -> Bass Boost cMoy -> SR 80s

I am really itching to get a tube amp. I understand that adding a good DAC to my rig may be a logical next step before changing amps, but I am just so into tubes. My obsession with tube amps stems from being a guitarist. This past fall I restored a late 50's Fender Deluxe guitar amp and ever since I have been a complete believer in tube sound.

From what i understand, a DAC would give me better clarity, decreased noise (as in noise from my MacBook), and probably a better sound stage. While all of that sounds good, what matters to me more than anything is getting a sound that is warm and organic. I realize that using a computer as a source isn't the greatest way to get warmth, but I'm a poor college student and this is what I have.

I am not disappointed with the clarity of my set up now, and I haven't really had issues with noise (although I have heard others complain about noise from their MacBooks). Sometimes there are some funny popping sounds and such, but I don't notice them when there is music playing.

Is the idea of :: MacBook -> Little Dot MK II -> SR 80s :: absolutely ridiculous? Will there be an issue because the signal from the headphone jack is powered?

I love my SR 80s and I have to keep my MacBook as my source. I just really want a tube amp in an attempt to create a warm/organic sound (and because they are so cool).

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a bad idea, getting the MkII also allows you to tube roll until you find the right sound for yourself. You will want to consider adding a DAC and upgrading your headphone down the road, but for now getting the Little Dot is a good option to go for.

I agree with DoA on your situation. There is nothing wrong with getting the MKII now. You already know how to improve things a little bit later, but for now, you will get the chance to enjoy some tube sounds. When I did my review of the MKII, it was very forgiving when running straight from a mediocre source and still enjoyable. Another concern is the prices for goods coming out of China are on the verge of another price increase, due to the weak Dollar. Something to think about for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with DoA on your situation. There is nothing wrong with getting the MKII now. You already know how to improve things a little bit later, but for now, you will get the chance to enjoy some tube sounds. When I did my review of the MKII, it was very forgiving when running straight from a mediocre source and still enjoyable. Another concern is the prices for goods coming out of China are on the verge of another price increase, due to the weak Dollar. Something to think about for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your input, I read your review of the MKII and you certainly seem to know what your talking about. I think I'm going to go straight for the MKII for now, but a DAC is definitely next on my list.

Feb 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Thanks for your input, I read your review of the MKII and you certainly seem to know what your talking about. I think I'm going to go straight for the MKII for now, but a DAC is definitely next on my list.

Thanks for the kind words. You will find the MKII an excellent amp for your situation.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back