Little Dot MK I Initial Impressions
Oct 15, 2007 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HK_sends

Headphoneus Supremus
First let me qualify that I am a audiophile n00b. I have several headphone amps, cables, etc., but my primary source of music is an iPod Nano
rolleyes.gif
. I eventually hope to move to better music sources.

I have been trying different headphone amps for a little over two years...every since I got my first decent pair of headphones (Senn HD555). I was bit by the audiophile upgrade bug and have been trying new amps and cans as they catch my attention. My goal has always been to have something that sounds good to me. My first LD amp was the II+, then the II++, then the micro. I have experimented more with portable amps than with home amps; trying everything from the Cmoy to a modded XM4. The LD Micro was ok, but I felt it was a little weak for my personal taste. Up until recently, the modded XM4 was my primary portable amp. That's because I just received the LD MK1.

I bought the amp from David through the ebay store. I had it four days(!) later. It came well packed in dense foam with its charger, manual, a little carry pouch, and a bonus...a good quality mini-to-mini interconnect. The amp itself is impressive. It is small, about the same length as the XM4, but it is wider. The black portion of the case is in a high-gloss finish and the end plates are brushed aluminum. It is also heavy...making a good personal defense weapon (somebody tries to steal your wallet and you can take him down by whacking him with the amp...makes a good throwing weapon too. I wonder if that is covered in the warranty?)
wink.gif

Seriously folks, the build quality of the amp is first rate. If anything, it reminds me if the LD MK III and IV enclosures, without the tubes and transformer box on top.

I have only had a chance to burn the amp in for about 20 hours. I have been listening with two sets of headphones; brand new AKG K701s (they also only have about 20 hours of burn-in), and a set of Grado 325i cans with the GS1000 earpads (courtesy of TTVJ). They have about 100 hours on them. As soon as I started listening, I knew I had found my new primary portable amp. It sounded good right out of the box. I did find that I have to play musical interconnects and EQ settings to find a happy median as the cans burn-in, but I have been able to hear the music improve noticeably even after 20 hours. I can listen to the AKGs with EQ turned off and still get good sound quality and detail that I hadn't heard before. The Grados sound better with the EQ on Acoustic (the GS1000 earpads make a major difference in increasing comfort and expanding the soundstage). The bottom line is that even with only 20 hours burn-in, the amp sounds great. I can't wait until the amp and cans are well burned-in; I truly believe that the sound will be incredible. I tried all three gain settings before settling on the 4x (middle) position.

So, IMHO the LD MK I is a great portable amp, but does it have any downsides? Well, I have two nits to pick; the volume knob is tiny. My fat fingers can't get a good grasp without having pick the amp up. I would recommend (as an option?) either a knurled knob or one with the little rubber rings around it. That way big fingers can get better traction on the knob. My only other nit is that the amp didn't come with white cotton gloves to handle it. The finish is a fingerprint magnet. I am not sure I can listen to an amp I need to buff before using.
biggrin.gif

Good build quality, great sound out of the box; I am sticking with this amp for a while...until Sword Yang comes out with something better. By the way, where can I buy some white cotton gloves?

Regards,
-HK sends

EDIT: It will definitely complement the LD MK IV SE I just received today!

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 13
How does the XM4 compare to the MK 1 in loudness.

I too was looking at this amp. At $120.00 and if it could drive my DT990/250 pretty good, I would jump on it right away.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprisingly little interest.
confused.gif

Yeah really.

It seems everyone is still too enamored with the Pico/Lisa III/Predator to pay any attention to the MK1. I'm personally very interested because of the low price and because of my very positive experience with the MKIV. I know they're completely different, but have no reason to believe the quality of their home amps doesn't extend to their portables.

Awaiting more impressions and hopefully some pics.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 13
@HK-Sends
Thanks for the impressions!
It is great it drives the K701. There has been some "rant" posting on how portable headphone amps could not properly drive "higher" cans. So this amp would do the job?

How's the battery life?

Also do you feel a need to try it with other op-amp, or prefer to wait after burn-in?

regards,

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@HK-Sends
Thanks for the impressions!
It is great it drives the K701. There has been some "rant" posting on how portable headphone amps could not properly drive "higher" cans. So this amp would do the job?

How's the battery life?

Also do you feel a need to try it with other op-amp, or prefer to wait after burn-in?

regards,

Somehow, I missed this thread. It must have been while I was writing my review of the MK1? Anyway, more information is in my review thread, plus we have discovered that changing the Opamp to LT1364, is a super upgrade. Here is a link to my review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-284847/
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somehow, I missed this thread. It must have been while I was writing my review of the MK1? Anyway, more information is in my review thread, plus we have discovered that changing the Opamp to LT1364, is a super upgrade. Here is a link to my review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-284847/
smily_headphones1.gif

Good about the OpAmp LT1364! When I get a MK1 I will know how to upgrade!

There is so much threads and posts to follow about the LD amps...

regards,

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good about the OpAmp LT1364! When I get a MK1 I will know how to upgrade!

There is so much threads and posts to follow about the LD amps...

regards,

Yep, it's a killer combination. I listen to my HD-650s, Zune80 and the MK1 everytime a get a chance now.
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 13
My 2 sets of LT1364 and 2 sets of LT1361 are already in, but no LDM MK1 yet XP

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2 sets of LT1364 and 2 sets of LT1361 are already in, but no LDM MK1 yet XP

I heard if you stick them in your ears, you can "process" more frequencies and be a golden ear!
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #13 of 13
I need to find out which nerves I should connect the Sockets to first
biggrin.gif

That said, once the CNY holidays come to a pass, I'll place an order for the MK1
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back