Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Dec 15, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #1,216 of 3,154
I heard from someone recently that the whole "opamp" rolling thing doesn't really alter the sound that much. That it's sort of just blown up. That tubes change the sound much more than opamps...than again, it was just a single person's opinion.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #1,217 of 3,154
There are a few schools of thought, that is for sure.  If you head into the sound science forum there are endless debates on how opamps do or do not alter sound.  I think that many here in this thread expressed that they noticed improvements, some saying that in this hybrid design opAmp changes had more effect than rolling tubes.  YMMV of course, best to make a few changes and see what you think.  It's cheap, and fun.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #1,219 of 3,154
What type of thing do i need to look at to make sure it will work with the Little Dot 1+? Do I just type in EF92 or something into Ebay? What are some common options (links please :) ) http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-EF92-MULLARD-YELLOW-LOGO-D-GETTER-NOS-TUBE-MATCHED-PAIR-/260915213820?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cbfc235fc Will something like these work well? Thanks for the help

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #1,220 of 3,154
I have received my new tubes bought from eBay, a pair of Mullard 8100 and a pair of RCA black plate, both are faulty and do not work properly, very disappointed with the purchase.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #1,221 of 3,154
As in dead on arrival?  

That's too bad, I've gad great luck with careful tube purchases from ebay so far.  I also purchased a tube tester to check tubes before I put them in my amps.

Quote:
I have received my new tubes bought from eBay, a pair of Mullard 8100 and a pair of RCA black plate, both are faulty and do not work properly, very disappointed with the purchase.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #1,222 of 3,154
Well not dead but defective, the mullards one tube is significantly lower in volume and the RCA one of the tubes has a hum and the shiny thingy at the top is gone.

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #1,223 of 3,154
Well, silly question but I'll ask anyway... did you set the jumpers for the right tubes?

That's got to be super frustrating.  Any chance the seller will consider taking them back or replacing them?

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #1,224 of 3,154
Hum... I thought about that too, but I'm not sure about it as I'm pretty new to the tube world. 
My LD came stock from factory with stock tubes on it, so after reading this post I thought I was good to go as both of my tubes seem to be part of the EF95 family.

I don't think sending it back is an option since shipping cost from Australia are through the nose, and I haven't contacted the sellers yet though.

It certainly is very frustating as it was my first tube purchase, I only spent like $30 but I wish I had spent a bit more and bought 2x Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV from "yenaudiostore" on eBay instead, at least this guy seems to have a good reputation among Head-Fiers.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,225 of 3,154
You should be fine if you had something from the EF95 family in there before... but I would make a check to be absolutely sure, and it wouldn't hurt to become familiar with opening the unit and sighting the jumpers etc... It's easy stufff.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,226 of 3,154
Can anyone recommend me a good set of tubes that will pair well with a modified set of Grado SR-80s and indie rock music (James Vincent McMorrow, Ben Howard, Fleet Foxes, My Morning Jacket, etc)? I would like them to be fairly cheap (less than 30-35 if possible) and incredibly smooth. I don't need much bass and I really just want smooth warm mids and highs. I love vocals and acoustic guitar so some stuff to accent that. Thanks

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #1,228 of 3,154

Quote:
Hum... I thought about that too, but I'm not sure about it as I'm pretty new to the tube world. 
My LD came stock from factory with stock tubes on it, so after reading this post I thought I was good to go as both of my tubes seem to be part of the EF95 family.

I don't think sending it back is an option since shipping cost from Australia are through the nose, and I haven't contacted the sellers yet though.

It certainly is very frustating as it was my first tube purchase, I only spent like $30 but I wish I had spent a bit more and bought 2x Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV from "yenaudiostore" on eBay instead, at least this guy seems to have a good reputation among Head-Fiers.

I bought the exact same pair of tubes after reading that post! I also ended up buying the 2107 OP-Amp as a lot of people have reported increased SQ with it!

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,229 of 3,154
hey, I have the updated ef92 tubes that i upgraded automatically from LD and was wondering what a good/cheap option was from moving up from this? haven't started tube rolling at all and was wondering where a good place to start would be

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,230 of 3,154
If you just want to try something new how about something out of the 408a camp?  Lots of options, cheap and expensive. 

I'm not sure it's easy to say what a move up is... it depends on what you're after in the long run...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back