Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Oct 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #1,186 of 3,154
Be sure to peruse this Tube rolling for the Grado SR-225 thread,
as well as the Little Dot tube rolling guide thread.

What I have gleaned from reading various threads, and what I baught so far but not yet rolled, are
LM4562NA, OPA2107AP and LT1364.
I also plan to bias them into class A in the future.

The tubes I have, but not yet rolled, are:

Восход 6Ж1П-ЕВ / Voshod / Voskhod 6Zh1P-EV [5654/EF95]
GE JAN5654W [EF95]
Mullard M8161/CV4015 [EF92]

Meanwhile, I want to familiarize myself with the standard signature of this Little Dot amp using its stock Chinese 6JI tube and MC33078 opamp before I start rolling.

So much music, so little time...

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #1,187 of 3,154
After several weeks and countless combinations of tube and opamp rolls,
my favorite LD I+ Tube/OpAmp combination with my Grado 325i cans turned out to be (drum roll)...

Восход 6Ж1П-ЕВ / Voskhod 6Zh1P-EV [EF95]

and LME49720HA (w/TO-5 heatsink, BrownDog adapter and "Class A" bias DIP adapter using 3.9KΩ resistors)
  +  +

I am devoid of superlatives and won't go into flowery audiophile descriptors to explain my choice.
All I will say is that it was fun and encourage others to try to find your audio nirvana.
______________________________________________________________________________________

FYI - The following OpAmps exhibited unacceptable high DC offset voltages so I would avoid using them:

ADA4627-1BRZ
OPA602BP

(These were free samples so no loss to me.)

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,188 of 3,154
I have a very basic question about op amps. I recently purchased a Little Dot + amp and I've read this entire thread to get a sense of the different tube and op amp combinations. I just replaced the stock op amp with the OPA2107 and it has indeed made a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

Now I'm asking myself "Why does it sound better?". I've read a bit about op amps but most of the articles I've found tend to be quite technical. Can anyone explain in laymen's terms how op amps work? How is processing the signal to improve the sound?

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,190 of 3,154
Ok so what Opamps produce the best SQ for listeners of metal/drone/ambient/heavier music? What's the real noticable difference is all of these variations? What are the needed know hows in owning/operating a LD 1+ ? I am so excited to finally get a tube amp for my Grado's! 

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,191 of 3,154

Quote:
Ok so what Opamps produce the best SQ for listeners of metal/drone/ambient/heavier music? What's the real noticable difference is all of these variations? What are the needed know hows in owning/operating a LD 1+ ? I am so excited to finally get a tube amp for my Grado's! 

Your results may vary but I've found the LM4562 to be the best OpAmp for Metal/Hard Rock.  It has just enough of a hint of graininess to give the sound a satisfying mix of texture and clarity which does wonders for male vocals and rhythmic drum beats.  The OP2107 on the other hand has a bit more bass and a softer sound but at the expense of clarity which makes it not as good of a match IMO.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #1,192 of 3,154
Awesome man, appreciate the recomendation. Anyone else

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #1,193 of 3,154
Heya fellow Little Dot I+ Head-fiers

Just wanted to share my latest purchase with you all. After much consideration over the amount of head-fi gear I've accumulated in the course of this year, I have decide to buy yet another amp to drive my GRADO headphones, I have just pulled the trigger on a Little Dot I+ hybrid amp.

I was tossing between the LD I+ and MAD Ear+, and since the huge price difference between both amps in the end I figured I could not go wrong with the LD I+ and it would be the less hurtful option for my wallet, that is what I hope anyway.

So if any of you guys have any suggestions on how to get the best out of my GRADO LD I+ combo please let me know, this will be my first foray into tube sound so recommendations on tube rolling options and opamp combinations are welcome too.

Cheers

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #1,194 of 3,154
^^^
I have also ordered a few tubes to go with my new LD I+:

- Mullard 8100 CV4014 EF91 NOS
- RCA 5654 Black Plate 

I'm still temped to buy a pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P but I think I will wait and a little longer.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #1,195 of 3,154
I just bought the updated EF92 from LD. Where are the sources in which you can get these tubes and opamps

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,196 of 3,154

Quote:
I just bought the updated EF92 from LD. Where are the sources in which you can get these tubes and opamps

Both bought over eBay, I'm not sure if these are reliable sources but decided to take a punt:

- Mullard 8100 CV4014 EF91 NOS - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190600709736

- RCA 5654 Black PlateThe - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280764039963

I just saw a post about a price increase of 5% from 2012 for the Little Dot products on their website, luckily mine has just shipped

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #1,197 of 3,154
whatt. That's crazy. So has mine. It's just been sitting in HK the past few days. I have to wait till Christmas to listen to it anyway. -.-

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #1,198 of 3,154
Here it is fellas, it arrived yesterday.
I only listened to it for a couple of hours yesterday and a bit more today, so far it sounds great with stock tubes and opamp, very smooth sounding, I'm liking what I hear. Need to let it burn in to get a real taste of this baby.

It came with a nice RCA to 3.5 Audio jack cable, looks like top quality stuff, also included an 6.3 to 3.5 adapter.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #1,200 of 3,154

Quote:
Here it is fellas, it arrived yesterday.
I only listened to it for a couple of hours yesterday and a bit more today, so far it sounds great with stock tubes and opamp, very smooth sounding, I'm liking what I hear. Need to let it burn in to get a real taste of this baby.

It came with a nice RCA to 3.5 Audio jack cable, looks like top quality stuff, also included an 6.3 to 3.5 adapter.

ahhh mines in tennesee. Should be here by tuesday. Literally cannot waittt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back