Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jan 28, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #3,092 of 3,154
is there any special mod to make the bass a bit more tighter on LD I+?

Eh, different tubes and/or op amps comes to mind :wink:

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #3,093 of 3,154
You should keep your source (iTunes etc) volume at maximum and adjust the volume on the amp. With my SR325is I keep the gain on low to minimize the noise floor, there's still plenty enough volume available.
what about for your higher impedance cans? do you leave it on high gain and itunes volume all the way up? or do you only use the sr325 with the LD1+?

I can play my higher impedance cans with the little dot on low gain and they get loud enough, but they just sound better on high gain.

Do you really need to unplug the power cord every time you switch from high/low gain? That’s what the manual says.

is there any special mod to make the bass a bit more tighter on LD I+?
Mass drop has the burson v5i opamp available from time to time. I bought one during the last drop and it’s a big improvement over the stock opamp. More bass and mid range fullness. And adding Mullard ef91 tubes take makes the bass and mid range sound even better over the western electric 408a tubes I had been using.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #3,094 of 3,154
what about for your higher impedance cans? do you leave it on high gain and itunes volume all the way up? or do you only use the sr325 with the LD1+?

I can play my higher impedance cans with the little dot on low gain and they get loud enough, but they just sound better on high gain.

Do you really need to unplug the power cord every time you switch from high/low gain? That’s what the manual says.

Mass drop has the burson v5i opamp available from time to time. I bought one during the last drop and it’s a big improvement over the stock opamp. More bass and mid range fullness. And adding Mullard ef91 tubes take makes the bass and mid range sound even better over the western electric 408a tubes I had been using.

Although I don't use my LD much these days I've used it with everything from IEM's to hard to drive headphones such as the DT880 and pretty much all Sennheisers from HD558 to 800S. The source volume should always be on maximum and if you need more power it's better to use high gain. There really shouldn't be any difference with easy to drive headphones between low and high gain but louder is perceived as better most of the time, have you tried volume matching?

I've always unplugged the power cord just to be on the safe side.

+1 for the V5i (or even the original V5) op amp.

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #3,096 of 3,154
I am now trying M8100 CV4010 EF95 and GE 5654W but the bass is not deep or extended.

btw is the sennheiser hd660s any good with LD i+/MK II ?
What amp are you using? While the cv4010 is definitely more on the warm side, I’m not sure how “deep” you can expect of it. The 5654w is actually among the most bass-articulate bass I’ve ever had.

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #3,098 of 3,154
Anyone tried to upgrade/mod the LD I+(old model) with Sparkos Discrete Voltage Regulators?? if not Im thinking go for this mod but still not sure if I should cus I couldn't find any review so far.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #3,099 of 3,154

I just got a v5i in for my 1+. Very, very happy with the results. Noticable increase in the low end and I feel like the mid range is smoother. Great upgrade for the money here .

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #3,100 of 3,154
I just got a v5i in for my 1+. Very, very happy with the results. Noticable increase in the low end and I feel like the mid range is smoother. Great upgrade for the money here .
In fact even the Muses8820 or 8920 would be noticeably better than the stock opamp. But the problem with those is that most eBay listings are counterfeit. The v5i is a good buy because you can order directly from Burson, and it’s not as expensive as the v5 or v6.

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #3,101 of 3,154
Hey Headfi'ers... this is my first post. Just thanking you for a such a great thread !! It's helped me such a lot. Particularly William Leonhart's great review and tips.

Happy little dot 1+ owner for around 4 months.
Journey progression is as follows;
Little dot 1+ with burson v5i

Tubes; voshkod 6J1P-EV / 6ZH1P-EV,
GE 5 star
EI Yugoslavia 6HM5
EF91; Mullard M8083
Super Radiotron (sound the same as the mullards)

Headphones;
Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium (32 ohm)
Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee
Grado SR225e

Look forward to reading/contributing more/ :L3000:

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #3,103 of 3,154
Just thought I'd share. My Gigabyte PC motherboard would produce noise through my LD 1+ tube amp from my USB DAC. Well the MB killed itself. So I bought an MSI B450 gaming pro carbon AC. Absolutely no PC noise. Same cable and everything.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #3,104 of 3,154
Ok, I have a V4.0 board in my 1+, what is the proper setting for low gain? The manual says both switched to on, is that right??
Neither setting seems to be low gain, can barely get past turning the volume to the point where it balances out without it getting too loud to listen on cans like the Meze 99.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #3,105 of 3,154
Ok, I have a V4.0 board in my 1+, what is the proper setting for low gain? The manual says both switched to on, is that right??
Neither setting seems to be low gain, can barely get past turning the volume to the point where it balances out without it getting too loud to listen on cans like the Meze 99.
Have you tried turning the volumes to, say, 10 o clock each time you turn on/off the volume to see if there’s any difference? I’d been using the I+ for 16ohm IEMs, so the Meze 99 shouldn’t have that problem. Worst case scenario is you have a defective unit and would have to contact LD for a replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back