1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by mapstec, Sep 16, 2008.
First

Back
195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204
206 207
Next

Last
  1. WilliamLeonhart
    Actually you can buy the adapter from Burson. I have one, when I got it I bent the wires into a somewhat curvy position so my Burson v5 could lie horizontally on the lower panel. I think it's called the "35mm Extension Lead x 2

2. frogmeat69
    Yeah, the tubes add some "coloration" as some call it. I switched it to low gain, not much difference, can't turn it up much past the 10 o'clock mark with my T90s. But I usually don't listen very loud anyways.
    Gonna swap the Muses 02 back in soon and compare. Heck, might toss a few different ones in just for fun, got enough of them, lol.

3. Selfish Android
    WilliamLeonhart and frogmeat69 like this.
  4. HOOKEDONTUBE
    Hi! I bought 2 units of Burson V5i dual for my Little Dot I+. Originally, I planned to have one as spare.
    I came across with this adapter on Ebay. Did anybody tried to use 2 units of Busrson V5i dual on this adapter? s-l500.jpg

5. frogmeat69
    I wouldn't do that if you have dual op amps, could fry something. If you had single channel ones it might work, I have a few single op amps that I do that with.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  6. TheBIGKill1998
    Hello everybody!

Recently i tested the Burson V5 Dual opamp and this is going to be a review of it.

[​IMG]

First of all, thank you Burson for this chance to reviewe your V5 opamp for free!

Initially this review was supposed to be for the V5i opamp, but something went wrong and i got the V5. I got a bit worried, since the V5 normally doesnt fit into the little dots casing.
    But then i solved this issue by soldering a little opamp extension, so no problem at all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tested the V5 using my "standard" audio equipment:

Tascam US-1x2 -> Little dot 1+ (using the yugoslavian 6HM5 tubes) -> Fostex audio control (i know, some of you are quite critical when it comes to analog audio attenuation, but this thing really helps keeping the noise floor down) -> Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm

A few pictures of my little dot 1+ with the yugoslavian "tall bottle" 6HM5 tubes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually I am thinking quite critically about opamp rolling and am quite doubtful when it comes to the sonic changes this may bring for such a huge amount of money (in this case atleast). But i tried to conduct the testing and this review as neutral as possible.

Also the V5 kinda changed my mind a bit, because I was able to notice quite some changes compared to the LM4562NA:

- More details which i have'nt heard before are audible (such as normally well hidden audio effects like high pitched guitar screeching aswell as some bass solos)
    - The sound in general is a bit more punchy
    - It feels like the sub bass is a bit amplified
    - The music sounds a bit more spatial, so the V5 also has an impact on the sound stage
    - In general everything sounds a bit more natural kinda. Especially vocals sound pretty real.

Conclusion

So basically there are indeed audbile changes, which refine the audio by quite a bit and i gotta say i really like the V5. What impressed me most about the V5 is the effect on the soundstage. The more spatial sound is not just impressive when listening to music, but also very nice to have when playing video games. But be aware of the not small price tag this enhancement is bound to. Its up to everyone to decide whether this sonical refinement is worth the price or not.

I tested the V5 by listening to different Rock genres aswell as by playing video games.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    WilliamLeonhart, dwinnert and FLguy like this.
  7. eldus
    So I recently Bought a LD1+ used,no manual, it has GE JAN 5654W tubes, V4.0 board, where should the jumpers be? K1 K2 K3 are set to the 6j side all others are open. Also, could someone explain the red gain switch and its settings. (1,2, on , off,). my main cans are AKG K702. Which config would be optimal? thx. =) Also, what is the stock op amp for this board? are they all the same/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  8. gulakpii
    Dreddguy and eldus like this.
  9. WilliamLeonhart
    By default it's small gain which will be more than enough for your K702 (I used to own the K7xx and now the Q701). I don't know what the stock op-amp is and honestly I don't care either, having stuck with the Burson op-amps for so long. If budget is a concern, you can look into the MUSES 8820 or 8920 as well.

If the previous owner have been using 5654W, I suggest you stick with the current settings because there're plenty of tubes to roll. It's not unheard of for Little Dot owners to try other gain settings and forget to set them back which result in a burnt amp.

eldus likes this.
  10. eldus
    Thx, the current (stock) opamp is AC33078N How would an OPA2107 sound compared to MUSES8820/8920.
    Also, =) what are your guy's personally preferred tube/opamp combos with AKG K/Q 701 702s?

This is my first tube amp. I feel like the amp could give more than it is currently sound-wise, I'm hearing a slight congestion and a recessed presentation. It wants to go "there", but isn't.

Edit: this has to be fake right? top rated plus seller tho https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-MUSES...id=p2380057.m570.l2632.R2.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.TRS0

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  11. frogmeat69
    To make sure you don't get a fake, it's best to buy from a site like mouser.com or digikey.com, but they are pricey. There was a US seller on Ebay that sold them that had a good rating, but don't remember who.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  12. jaco61
    Got the LD 1+ recently .. very impressed .. just stock out of the box this beauty lets my E-MU Teaks sing, detailed with a nice liquid midrange too .. soo bad the stocktubes and opamps really cant be :wink:
    anyway .. Ordered muses02 opamp and some voshkods and 3 others :) ... quite happy with the whole quality and curious about incoming tubes from half the globe .. China-Serbia-Bulgaria-Russia .. Infected by a light and red shimmering tubevirus ..

Does anybody know the output impedance of the LD 1+?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    eldus likes this.
  13. eldus
    Thank you Burson for the sample.
    Equipment used,
    AKG Q701
    AKK 240
    GE JAN 5654
    6HM5 Tall
    (the only tubes I have)
    Topping D30->Little Dot 1+

I am hearing more details in the upper mids and treble, especially in distorted electric and acoustic fingerstyle guitar, flute and sitar in the Moody Blues track Procession. There is no "shrill" quality often associated with "clarity". I wouldn't say they are elevated, just better.
    Piano is especially nice.
    Delicious liquid. The Burson V5i improves upon every aspect of the sound, presentation, depth, speed, the muddy veil of the stock opamp, soundstage, everything. It is a definite improvement. In my listening, it pairs quite nicely with the GE JAN5654, especially for rock and vocal music. Vocals have lush harmonics without invading on the other instruments. The Yugoslavia 6HM5 sound great with the V5i as well. There is no one aspect that is bettered by the Burson. It is all improved upon. You just have to hear it yourself.

I am loving the experience.
    my Magni 3 gets less love every day.=)

on a side note, my cellphone seems to introduce intermittent noise to the tubes when in about 2ft of the amp REGARDLESS of the op amp used.

IMG_20180917_144458354.jpg

IMG_20180917_131945357.jpg

IMG_20180917_143802495.jpg

jaco61 likes this.
  14. jaco61
    I too love the Yugoslavian tubes and am curious now how the sound with the muses02 which I still did not get. With the V5i the only thing I miss a little bit is a bit more pressure in the subbass.
    Hope it betters with burn in ... just 8 hours now :wink: at the beginning it was hard sounding and elevated in the treble .. a lot better now!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  15. richie60
    It's the tubes picking up the noise from the phone. Found that when I used to use mine near my laptop when connected wirelessly.

First

Back
195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204
206 207
Next

Last