Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,046 of 3,154
Same thing happened to me. I thought one tube went out but i put in the cheap stock tube but the socket or the complete right channel is dead. All the solder points and everything inside the amp looks in good condition and i cant trace the issue.
OK - going to start slowly delving into this. The valves themselves are OK - but there is power loss after about 30 minutes of running from cold. First suspect are the large resistors. Will probably check them out for drift, after being under heat for so long.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #3,047 of 3,154
Trying to get answers out of LittleDot themselves was difficult. I cut them some slack for the Mid Autumn festival holiday season, but the forum was slow going. Eventually, I gave up on LittleDot themselves.

The end game was that the amp went to a local company for repair. Cost was £64 for labour and parts. It was picked up from me, and will be delivered back tomorrow, all included in the repair price. The person on the end of the phone indicated that a number of parts had been replaced, as I also asked them to take any precautions they thought necessary to guard against future failure. Oddly, it appears that the headphone jack was the subject of a good portion of their disgust despite a fair number of the parts appearing to be Russian in origin.

The valves are used in the pre-amp and the integrated amp does most of the heavy lifting. I had presumed that it was the other way around.

They reported that spending a day listening to the unit while working on other jobs, they are quite impressed with the way that it performs and sounds, given what it is. I'll give an update after it is back in my hands and I've spent a while listening to it again.

Nov 22, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #3,048 of 3,154
So when i bought my amp i got a one year waranty..After like ten emails i finally shipped my amp to their "service guy" in the UK. They kept my amp for no obvious reason for over a month, then sent me a new one. I sent a lot of messages trying to get a decent answers about who pays for shipping, will i get a refund or a new amp etc etc.. Even if i wrote my questions as simple as possible and in a step by step manor i never got a reply answering all my simple questions. The seller was Doukstore on ebay. To be fair they answered every single one of my messages and they are from China so i guess the language barrier is rather huge. However, if you sell stuff on an international market, you better know basic English.

Anyways, i have a new unit now and it works. So i finally got to try out the Burson V5i opamp i have had lying around for weeks. I also replace the LED.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #3,050 of 3,154
The Little dot 1+ would be awesome if they didn't have such awful QC. I bought the little dot 1+ over a month ago,When I got it, the right channel didn't work at all. I had then tried switching tubes, same result, tried it from different sources, same result, tried different gain settings, same result. So I returned it and got a replacement.

I got my replacement today and it literally has the same issue as before except it's WORSE, The left channel doesn't work at all, plus, it has this ear wrenching white noise/static/hum coming from it very loudly with volume all the way down and/or no source hooked. I tried swapping tubes, same result, tried the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes in it, same thing. Then I realize that the left tube isn't even being powered at all!

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #3,051 of 3,154
Hey guys, i have the Little Dot i+ and i am looking to make some upgrades on it, so far i have upgraded the tubes with a pair of Voshkod 6zh1p-ev and the opamp with the OPA2107, the sound improvement was noticeable right away coming from the stock Chinese tubes and stock op amp.

Now i am looking to go a little further than that and i have noticed that Burson Audio have some mean looking OP AMPS, i am interested in the Top of the line V6 Classic and i would like to know if someone has experience with it, another thing i saw while reading this lengthy post was upgrading the volume knob to one called ALPS blue velvet, i read about replacing the "fuse" and some capacitors.

So my question would be how hard is to replace those things (no the opamp thats pretty straight forward), what else should i replace to get the best sound off of my little dot i+

Another question would be what is the absolute best tubes you can buy for this amp, i read the thread and it looks like the voshkods are already the best.

thank you in advance, i am a noob when it comes to soldering and electronic parts so sorry for my lack of knowledge in the topic.

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #3,052 of 3,154
Hey guys, i have the Little Dot i+ and i am looking to make some upgrades on it, so far i have upgraded the tubes with a pair of Voshkod 6zh1p-ev and the opamp with the OPA2107, the sound improvement was noticeable right away coming from the stock Chinese tubes and stock op amp.

Now i am looking to go a little further than that and i have noticed that Burson Audio have some mean looking OP AMPS, i am interested in the Top of the line V6 Classic and i would like to know if someone has experience with it, another thing i saw while reading this lengthy post was upgrading the volume knob to one called ALPS blue velvet, i read about replacing the "fuse" and some capacitors.

So my question would be how hard is to replace those things (no the opamp thats pretty straight forward), what else should i replace to get the best sound off of my little dot i+

Another question would be what is the absolute best tubes you can buy for this amp, i read the thread and it looks like the voshkods are already the best.

thank you in advance, i am a noob when it comes to soldering and electronic parts so sorry for my lack of knowledge in the topic.
The Burson V5 and V6 don't fit inside the amp without modification or an adapter, too tall, but the V5i will fit no problem, along with the Sparko. The best tube will be the one you like best, some like the Voshkods, some Mullards, etc.... that's the joy/anguish of tube rolling, trying and buying until you run out of cash, lol.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,053 of 3,154
In my signature you’d find a link to my review of the I+ with the V5 op-amp. It doesn’t fit into the case. However I do like it a lot.

As for tubes Voshkods are great, but make sure you buy the rocket logo ones. Other tubes I like include the EI Yugoslavia 6hm5 and GE 5654W.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #3,054 of 3,154
In my signature you’d find a link to my review of the I+ with the V5 op-amp. It doesn’t fit into the case. However I do like it a lot.

As for tubes Voshkods are great, but make sure you buy the rocket logo ones. Other tubes I like include the EI Yugoslavia 6hm5 and GE 5654W.

Yeah i got the ones with the Rocket, i specifically looked your review when i got interested in buying those Burson OP AMPS, if i make a hole in the lower part of the case will the V6 still not fit?

The Burson V5 and V6 don't fit inside the amp without modification or an adapter, too tall, but the V5i will fit no problem, along with the Sparko. The best tube will be the one you like best, some like the Voshkods, some Mullards, etc.... that's the joy/anguish of tube rolling, trying and buying until you run out of cash, lol.

What about the ALPS Blue velvet i heard it was a big upgrade over the stock knob.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #3,055 of 3,154
Yeah i got the ones with the Rocket, i specifically looked your review when i got interested in buying those Burson OP AMPS, if i make a hole in the lower part of the case will the V6 still not fit?

What about the ALPS Blue velvet i heard it was a big upgrade over the stock knob.

I think it still wouldn’t fit because the feets are not “tall” enough.

My friend helped me replaced the volume knob too, but the difference wasn’t quite clear. One thing I could tell, though, is that I had no more static noise when changing the volume.

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #3,057 of 3,154
Then i guess i gotta buy the adapter, thank you for the info man.

Finally something I can answer!

Burson has been out of stock on the v6 Vivid. I had decided on the Vivid, since I thought it might complement the tube side of the little dot. I was afraid the Classic would get too intimate and gooey sounding. I finally got it last weekend. I have only had a couple of hours but it is definately a big improvement over stock. I need to give it some time to break in before I make any real comments, but I will say that it made a really big difference in tightening up the bottom end and everything seem more accurate already. I already feel it was worth the price paid, and I am looking forward to it getting even better.

Here are a few pic I took of the install

ycGUjQP.jpg

Stock IC replaced. This thing is pretty tall. The cover definately was not going to close over this.

VpOn5yX.jpg

After some careful measuring I marked the center point of where it should end up poking thru. I stepped up drills from 1/8th inch (~3mm) to 1/2 inch (~12-13mm) then broke out my file set and carefully widened the hole it out and squared it up nice. After about 20 min of careful file work, I test fit and got it in one.

aZrEfkR.jpg

The v6 vivid stuck out a tad longer than the feet. I placed some washers under and just had enough threads left to screw the feet in.

Mar 17, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #3,058 of 3,154
Finally something I can answer!

Burson has been out of stock on the v6 Vivid. I had decided on the Vivid, since I thought it might complement the tube side of the little dot. I was afraid the Classic would get too intimate and gooey sounding. I finally got it last weekend. I have only had a couple of hours but it is definately a big improvement over stock. I need to give it some time to break in before I make any real comments, but I will say that it made a really big difference in tightening up the bottom end and everything seem more accurate already. I already feel it was worth the price paid, and I am looking forward to it getting even better.

Wow dude that is exactly what i was looking for haha, anyway, i will try the V5i first later i will get the V6

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #3,059 of 3,154
Just hooked my amp up after a long while, and got the Burson V5i, holy crap. Running it with some Mullard 8100's, fed by a SMSL Sanskrit Pro DAC, making my T1.2's sing. Got it set to high gain, and can only get to 9-10 o'clock, gonna have to try low gain. Never had that problem before, does the V5i kick it up a notch??

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #3,060 of 3,154
Just hooked my amp up after a long while, and got the Burson V5i, holy crap. Running it with some Mullard 8100's, fed by a SMSL Sanskrit Pro DAC, making my T1.2's sing. Got it set to high gain, and can only get to 9-10 o'clock, gonna have to try low gain. Never had that problem before, does the V5i kick it up a notch??
I don't know the technicality, but it's the op-amp that does the heavy lifting in this amp. The tubes are just a buffer unit, similar to this: https://www.bing.com/search?q=fx+au...85563427bbcdada01ae87e626&cc=US&setlang=en-US

Users who are viewing this thread

Back