Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Aug 26, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #2,776 of 3,154
I think little dot shoul'd sell parts to upgrade/mods (with instructions on how to do it) or give a list of wath shoul'd be the best parts to replace in it and documentations with all the compliant parts (and affect of those parts on the sound).

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #2,777 of 3,154
Hi All,

I'm fashionably late to the Little Dot party.
Have fancied trying a tube amp for a while, but it never made it to the top of my list.
Saw the I+ on offer earlier in the week, so thought I'd take a chance (after reading positive reviews on here) and give it a go.

My current main home set up is:
Sonos connect > Chord Mojo (via Optical) > Fostex TH-X00
I felt that this combination could sometimes (to my ears) sound a little clinical (Mojo) and overly lively in the treble (TH-X00) for my tastes.
Hence a tube amp could be an ideal fit for both of these issues.

Was concerned (based on cost I suppose) that the LD would be a weak link in the system and result in a step backwards rather than forwards, but glad to say that this is not the case.
The combination sounds beautiful, after very little burn in.
I think this is the first time that I have ever added a new component and I've straight off listened to the music rather than trying to listen to/analyse the system/new component.

Fingers crossed for improvements with more burn in, opamp and tube rolling. :)

Have read the first 50 pages of the thread so far and ordered the following:
Tubes
Voshkod 6JIP-EV/EZH1P-EV
Mullard CV4014 / M8083

Opamp
National LM4562NA
National LME49720NA

Looking forwards to my LD journey.
Will have to limit myself to reading 5 pages of the thread a day so that my wallet can keep up with the recommendations.

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #2,778 of 3,154
Hi Good to ear that it fits in your system. You may like the Voskhod if you like trebble but for the OPA, I think The Burson V5i is the best for this amp or two BB 667 on browndog if you want smthg smoother and warmer.  

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #2,779 of 3,154
Agree on the V5i. In combination with Mullards or EI Yugos it would give a smoother, more musical sound for your THX00. I was quite pleasantly surprised driving my Mahogany with the I+ and V5. It's not V5i but they're pretty close

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #2,780 of 3,154
Thanks for the replies, I'll add the v5i to my list.
I've been keeping a list of tubes and opamps as I've been reading the thread.
Up to page 50 so far. (the v5 hasn't appeared on the thread as at that point).

I see the LD as being a hifi journey for me rather than a destination, so happy to go through lots of combinations and experience what changes for the better of worse.

I find this prospect really exciting. I've spent quite a lot of money on gear over the last year and have got to the point where I don't want to and can't really afford to push to the next level (i.e. £800+ headphones).
I'm happy to spend £50 a month on the hobby (better than spending it on booze in my book!), so tube and opamp rolling fits this nicely.

A couple of questions (apologies if these have been answered 100 times since page 50!)

Is there any benefit in buying branded opamps over generic? A couple I've looked at on ebay have been really cheap for non-branded Chinese imports (i.e. 2 for £6) compared to say £10+ for Texas Instruments versions.

Are gold pin versions of tubes seen as being a worthwhile improvement over the standard versions or generally not much in it? In my searches I have spotted the odd pair here and there (e.g. Mullard and Voshkod), so are perhaps not that common. Are they worth snapping up (if the £ premium isn't excessive) when I see them?

Thanks.
BD

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #2,782 of 3,154
Not overkill for the price to put inside a little dot ? I suppose that's this one you want to say : http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=123&hv=1

Another thing, here is my experiences of what is great for me (little dot I+ with OPA Burson V5i) and HRT Music Streamer II DAC all songs are in DSD, FLAC or 320kbps 44.1Khz mp3 minimum, all played in Bitperfect with Deadbeaf on a linux machine with real time kernel (except for B&w P5 and Mitchell & Johnson GL2, I play with Audacious for having the crystalizer plugin) :

1. Grado SR80 + Mullard 5654 + LI (Low Impedance) (real synergy)
2. Sennheiser Momentum Over-ear + Voskhod VE + LI
3. AKG 141 Studio + Voskhod VE + LI
4. GD Audio + Mullard 5654 + LI
5. Mitchell & Johnson GL2 + Voskhod VE + LI (need to burn in for some hours more or crystalizer plugin +1.8 gain)
6. Beyerdynamic DT770 600 ohms + Voskhod VE + HI
7. Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohms + Mullard 8161 + HI (real synergy) => the best combination ever for the moment (for my ears).
8. Bower & Wilkins P5 V1 + Voskhod VE + LI (need crystalizer plugin +1.2 gain)

That's all the best configurations I have made with what I have (waiting for another headphone amp to put between the dac and the little dot => Pro-Ject Head box 2 SE), an AKG K701, a Master Dynamic MH40

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,783 of 3,154
For that sort of money you'd be better off just getting something like the woo audio wa6. The cost of changing opamps and tubes won't come to the wa6's price, but the wa6 will be a substantial upgrade.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #2,784 of 3,154
Yup, but on the other side, the wa6 is pure class A (logically pre-amp base if I don't make a mistake) and with no OPA, so you just can roll the valve (and they cost more than EF91/92/95). Don't forget the need of Good DAC too for both of them :p

But the link of the discret OPA  that rudra show is only 47$ and some more for the special series for the little dot form factor (DIP 8), the other one on the page he show are for high end and not dip 8 it seems (and I would like to test it, seems it could be better than Burson ... have to try in two or three monthes).

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #2,785 of 3,154
Sorry, I haven't tried them in the Little dot amps, but I have used the DEXA's in an EE minmax dac. I have heard good things about burson,  there are other options apart from the burson for people to try. Another company that does discrete opamps is http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #2,786 of 3,154
Hello there! I don't know if I should post this here but I'll do it anyway, correct me if it has to go somewhere else. I recently bought a Little Dot 1+ for my pair of Grados sr325is which I've loved so far. Just today, I got a pair of Voskhods but before putting them in, I was just giving the amp a go and I noticed that only the right channel is working. I checked the cables and after all I concluded that the problem is in the headphone jack of the amp. If I plug the HP all the way in, it sound only in the right channel, if I stick it out a bit it sounds only on the left side and if I do pull it further it sounds on both channels but with the slightest movement, it gives no sound at all. Is they a way to fix it?
Something I forgot to mention is that when I try to turn the volume all the way down it doesn't goes silent, it's still playing music pretty loud and only goes higher when I turn it all the way up.
I live in Costa Rica so for me to send the unit back is kind of impossible since I'll have to pay a lot of shipping. Do you have any idea of what's the problem and how can I fix it? 
Thanks in advance!

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #2,787 of 3,154
Is it possible to put your Dexa in your little dot to test if the improvement is really high ?

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #2,788 of 3,154
  Is it possible to put your Dexa in your little dot to test if the improvement is really high ?

^-^ if your question is directed towards me, sorry it is not possible to try the  DEXA in the LD MK VI+. The opamps in the VI+ are used of biasing the power tubes. They don't affect the sound in anyway.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #2,789 of 3,154
Ok thinking that you have a LD I+. I see that you have an Audio GD Dac, are you happy of it (I look for one for some monthes) ?

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #2,790 of 3,154
Not overkill for the price to put inside a little dot ? I suppose that's this one you want to say : http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=123&hv=1

Another thing, here is my experiences of what is great for me (little dot I+ with OPA Burson V5i) and HRT Music Streamer II DAC all songs are in DSD, FLAC or 320kbps 44.1Khz mp3 minimum, all played in Bitperfect with Deadbeaf on a linux machine with real time kernel (except for B&w P5 and Mitchell & Johnson GL2, I play with Audacious for having the crystalizer plugin) :

1. Grado SR80 + Mullard 5654 + LI (Low Impedance) (real synergy)
2. Sennheiser Momentum Over-ear + Voskhod VE + LI
3. AKG 141 Studio + Voskhod VE + LI
4. GD Audio + Mullard 5654 + LI
5. Mitchell & Johnson GL2 + Voskhod VE + LI (need to burn in for some hours more or crystalizer plugin +1.8 gain)
6. Beyerdynamic DT770 600 ohms + Voskhod VE + HI
7. Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohms + Mullard 8161 + HI (real synergy) => the best combination ever for the moment (for my ears).
8. Bower & Wilkins P5 V1 + Voskhod VE + LI (need crystalizer plugin +1.2 gain)

That's all the best configurations I have made with what I have (waiting for another headphone amp to put between the dac and the little dot => Pro-Ject Head box 2 SE), an AKG K701, a Master Dynamic MH40
Do tell me how the Mh40 pairs with the LD! Also, did you find the I+ good enough for the high impedance Beyers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back