Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Oct 5, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #2,388 of 3,154
Any tips on figuring out the source of a buzz/hum in the LD1+? It happens with every set of tubes I have and it depends on where the volume pot is positioned. It's most apparent at the extremes where it just sounds likes high pitched whining with a bit of buzz. It's basically silent when the pot is at about 2 or 3 o'clock though. Any help is much appreciated.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #2,389 of 3,154
  Any tips on figuring out the source of a buzz/hum in the LD1+? It happens with every set of tubes I have and it depends on where the volume pot is positioned. It's most apparent at the extremes where it just sounds likes high pitched whining with a bit of buzz. It's basically silent when the pot is at about 2 or 3 o'clock though. Any help is much appreciated.

For one, tubes are inherently noisy. A tube amp, especially an inexpensive one, is just not going to be as quiet as solid-state. And two, noise at the extremes don't really matter. The only thing that matters is if your amp is quiet at your normal listening levels.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #2,390 of 3,154

For one, tubes are inherently noisy. A tube amp, especially an inexpensive one, is just not going to be as quiet as solid-state. And two, noise at the extremes don't really matter. The only thing that matters is if your amp is quiet at your normal listening levels.

Thanks for the quick reply gibosi. I should have elaborated more on my problem. The problem is that at 2 or 3 o'clock it's above normal listening levels for me. At normal listening levels the noise is fairly prominent in quieter sections of my music. The other thing is that this problem manifested itself over time. I remember that when I got it that the noise I have now wasn't present. The typical interference and tube noise were there. I have also moved a couple of times since I got the amp, so could it be possible that it is noise from the outlet? If you've got any tips on troubleshooting or just common problem I should test that would be great. Again thank you very much for the help.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #2,391 of 3,154
  Thanks for the quick reply gibosi. I should have elaborated more on my problem. The problem is that at 2 or 3 o'clock it's above normal listening levels for me. At normal listening levels the noise is fairly prominent in quieter sections of my music. The other thing is that this problem manifested itself over time. I remember that when I got it that the noise I have now wasn't present. The typical interference and tube noise were there. I have also moved a couple of times since I got the amp, so could it be possible that it is noise from the outlet? If you've got any tips on troubleshooting or just common problem I should test that would be great. Again thank you very much for the help.

Now that I understand the problem better, it would seem that this new noise is caused by something in your current location or something in the amp. Something quick and easy to do is to open up the amp and check to see that all the jumpers, J1, J2, J3, J4, K1 and K2 are tight and secure. And while you are at it, try a different RCA cable and power cable.

To troubleshoot the location, move the amp to another room in your building to see if the noise changes. And if it doesn't change, take the amp to another building.

If the noise is constant in multiple locations, this would suggest that something is failing inside the amp. If you purchased the amp directly from Little Dot, they will fix it free of charge.

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=442&sid=00ada14845d8ce17d7b3e5b74f5949e5

Good luck!

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #2,392 of 3,154
I just received my LD+ and it's ringing regardless of what tubes or setting I'm used. It's not an extremely high pitched ring like the vali but it's much louder and hasn't gone away. Left it on for a couple of hours. Do I need a replacement or is there a fix or something I'm doing wrong? 

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #2,393 of 3,154
  I just received my LD+ and it's ringing regardless of what tubes or setting I'm used. It's not an extremely high pitched ring like the vali but it's much louder and hasn't gone away. Left it on for a couple of hours. Do I need a replacement or is there a fix or something I'm doing wrong? 

As the LD+ and the Vali both have noise issues, I am inclined to think it is your location, and likely your electrical power. If you can, take the LD+ to another building, a friend's house perhaps, and see if it is still noisy.

Good luck!

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #2,394 of 3,154
Definitely possible as I just moved. However my o2's and other ss are fine, notsure if that matters, and the Vali was experienced at my old house whenever you would hit it hard and/or when first turning it on then would dissipate. This one is an constant loud ring but a very low frequency ring. I'll check and report back. Thanks.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #2,396 of 3,154
Guys, I am selling my little dot. If anyone you know who might be looking for this wonderful opportunity, here is your chance. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786465/little-dot-i-headphone-amp-with-upgrade-ef92-voskhods-burr-brown-opa2107ap

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #2,397 of 3,154
I just received my way-overdue OP2107 and it really makes a great difference on my I+. 

I also shipped a 8066AR but it turned out to be tiny and of course didn't fit on the I+. I don't know why I did that, but anyway I'm totally ignorant on this.

Can you guys recommend some great choice for the I+? Will this one greatly complement the OP2017 (and of course, will it fit on the I+)?

Thanks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM4562NA-Dual-High-Performance-Audio-Op-Amp-IC-LM4562-/360324403926?hash=item53e50212d6:m:mZtl1j9TvCVGyqwRXG0y4QQ

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #2,398 of 3,154
MY 1+ still having a surgery.............
frown.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #2,400 of 3,154
I just received my way-overdue OP2107 and it really makes a great difference on my I+. 

I also shipped a 8066AR but it turned out to be tiny and of course didn't fit on the I+. I don't know why I did that, but anyway I'm totally ignorant on this.

Can you guys recommend some great choice for the I+? Will this one greatly complement the OP2017 (and of course, will it fit on the I+)?

Thanks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM4562NA-Dual-High-Performance-Audio-Op-Amp-IC-LM4562-/360324403926?hash=item53e50212d6:m:mZtl1j9TvCVGyqwRXG0y4QQ

For me...my end game opamp has to be the Muses02, recommended by gibosi, have it paired with some 6HM5 tubes, tall bottle version, really smooth, refined and detailed, compliments my AK100 and AKG K550s nicely to my ears. That's the beauty of this amp, with the opamp and tube rolling options, find a pairing that suits your gear and ears and have fun. Gets very addictive though, fortunately not too expensive for tubes and opamps, trawling this thread really helped me get pointed in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back