Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jan 19, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #2,117 of 3,154
Thanks, headfi. Just when I think I'm giving up on upgraditus, some one opens up a whole new category to buy.

Guys can you recommend a good place to buy op amp on the webz?

Dude, no kidding, huh?  Thanks for voicing your experience with those tubes, btw. 

Op amps change the sound in the same way as tubes. In my opinion, the stock op amp is congested and somewhat muddy. The better op amps have more transparency and clarity, they are more liquid and and have better bass.

Oh now we're talking.  Yes, yes, this is what I'm signing up for.

Tubes are like ice cream. One person loves chocolate and another vanilla. Everyone has different ears and different gear. One tube that is the best for everyone doesn't exist. So... in my opinion, the Voshkod is at the same level as the the 408A and EF92. But the C3g is much better than any of them. :)

Good point, Gibosi, thanks.  I'm just getting to burn in point on my Voshkods, but you can bet as soon as my adapters arrive from China for my C3g's I'll be swapping those around… and probably ordering 2 more (I'm a gemini, I can't help it).

So….. I'm guessing new op amps would probably not only the LD+, but also the MK III?  

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #2,119 of 3,154
  Do you know if that will that work for the MK III by chance?

They 1+ is a hybrid amp, that is, a tube input stage coupled to a solid state output stage. The II, III, and IV are not hybrids. These amps use tubes for the input and the output. So if you decide to get a III, instead of rolling op-amps, you will be able to roll output tubes! More fun! :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #2,120 of 3,154

They 1+ is a hybrid amp, that is, a tube input stage coupled to a solid state output stage. The II, III, and IV are not hybrids. These amps use tubes for the input and the output. So if you decide to get a III, instead of rolling op-amps, you will be able to roll output tubes! More fun! :)

Ahhhhhhh ::light going off:: I'm getting there, lol.  Can you tell how green I am?  

I'm just waiting for the adapters for my MK III, and then I'll be running C3g's and my 6SN7 black Sylvanias. :)  

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2,121 of 3,154
My LD1+ has the Burr Brown OP-AMP 2107 in it now. How does that compare to the MUSES02?

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #2,123 of 3,154
In my opinion, the 2107 is significantly better than the stock op amp. The MUSES02 sounds similar to the 2107, in terms of warmth, liquidity and bass, but I found the 2107 to be a bit shouty in the mids and the highs are a bit recessed. In my opinion, the 02 is an upgraded 2107, and if you like the 2107, you will probably like the 02.

And yes, "smooth and warm" describes the 02 very well. :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #2,124 of 3,154
I work for a Vietnamese tech site, which led me to befriend this guy owning a headphone store in Hanoi. Last year he got me a brand new LD I+ w/ 6CQ6 tubes for around $100 (with full warranty of course). So I was quite content with this choice of amp. Unfortunately one tube broke when I moved house, so I bought a pair of Mullards CV4010 to replace the stock ones. Now if I buy the new opamp and a pair of WE408A , it will have doubled the price of the amp. I don't know whether if it's worth it.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2,125 of 3,154
IMO, the LD1+ is worth easily double the price new. Maybe prices are much higher over there but I can get WE408A tubes here all day long for $5 a piece. A little more for a matched pair.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #2,126 of 3,154
  I work for a Vietnamese tech site, which led me to befriend this guy owning a headphone store in Hanoi. Last year he got me a brand new LD I+ w/ 6CQ6 tubes for around $100 (with full warranty of course). So I was quite content with this choice of amp. Unfortunately one tube broke when I moved house, so I bought a pair of Mullards CV4010 to replace the stock ones. Now if I buy the new opamp and a pair of WE408A , it will have doubled the price of the amp. I don't know whether if it's worth it.

It is important to keep in mind that this is going to be true of any amp which allows you to roll op-amps and/or tubes. Likewise, the main advantage of most solid-state amps is that there is nothing to change, so you just turn it on and listen. And of course, if you are comfortable with the stock tubes and op-amp in the LD1+, there is no reason to spend any more money.

The reasons for rolling op-amps and tubes are several. First, the stock op-amps and tubes shipped with the LD (and most other amps as well) must be cheap and they must be plentiful. And while the amp is designed to sound very good with cheap op-amps and tubes, replacing them can often improve the sound.

Second, everyone's ears and gear are different. There is no perfect combination of op-amp and tubes that will be the best for everyone. So rolling op-amps and tubes allows you to tailor the sound of the amp to your ears and gear.

Finally, some of us, myself included, really enjoy trying new op-amps and tubes. It is great fun to notice how each changes the sound signature. And eventually, after much trial and error, we finally figure out a combination that really, really sounds good - nirvana - and then we buy a new set of headphones, or what have you, and we have to start all over! lol :) 

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #2,128 of 3,154
My grandfather recently passed away, and in cleaning out his house, my uncle came across a box filled to brim with tubes.  Mere months ago I would not have had a clue or a care as to what they were… today, however, is a different day.  "Mom, can you please bring those over if you guys are just going to junk em… I wonder if there are any 6SN7's in there or something of the like."  Yes, yes there were.  Sylvania, RCA, and everything else under the rainbow (and not just 6SN7's).  Bummer I just shelled out $40 for a set of Black Sylvania 6SN7's to throw in my MK III… lol. ::face palm::

Sorry, I couldn't resist sharing this with you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back