Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Dec 30, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #2,087 of 3,154
  There must be tubes to run in the MK III that produce more bass, no?

Yes ,that is probably true but I think this is more of a pairing (power/ohms) issue with the amp and headphones 

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #2,090 of 3,154
  There must be tubes to run in the MK III that produce more bass, no?

Yes,The endgame tubes( for me at least) is the C3g's this tubes makes my LD 1+ and MK III sound thicker more on everything to my ears.IMO the C3g's are far better tubes than any other tubes i have tried(6AS7G,6SN7 and various plug and play tubes) for my 1+ and MK III only thing is the C3g's are not that cheap to run with these amps.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #2,091 of 3,154
While i luvmusic 2 designed and built a custom adapter, it is very easy to run C3gs using two pre-built adapters and two spacers. For those who might be interested in trying a pair, this posting might be helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/6000#post_10512665

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,092 of 3,154
I know I need to go back and read this whole thread...but I'm too lazy at the moment and getting ready for work. I currently have a pair of NOS Sylvania GB-408A and I love them. Not sure if they are still good. They are in my old LD1+ that I burned up and I got a new (used) LD1+ but I haven't swapped them over yet to see if they still work. I need to look up the whole jumper thing. That's how I burned the old one up...swapped tubes and forgot the swap jumpers. Anyways...in case they are dead, what is currently (easily and not too much $$$) available that will give a similar sound? I'm looking for warmth with a little bass boost for my Grado RS1's.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #2,093 of 3,154
Many thanks to you both, gibosi and I love music.  I'd been reading about those C3g's, might have to get a pair or two.  Have some Voshkods on the way, but I think the C3g's might be more of what I'm looking for.  

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #2,095 of 3,154
Hi everyone

Just received my Little Dot 1+, and I am absolutely loving it, this is my first introduction to tubes.

I understand mostly about tube rolling, getting the correct family and setting switches and jumpers within the amp, but as far as opamps I'm clueless. Could anyone tell me if this one would work and is it the correct type, as I have seen some on ebay where the pins are different, bent out at the ends.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, am absolutely loving the stock sound, but am intrigued as to how it may sound when changing the opamp.

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #2,096 of 3,154
  I understand mostly about tube rolling, getting the correct family and setting switches and jumpers within the amp, but as far as opamps I'm clueless. Could anyone tell me if this one would work and is it the correct type, as I have seen some on ebay where the pins are different, bent out at the ends.

Yes, this 8-pin dual op-amp will work fine in your LD. Notice at the top and the bottom of every forum there is "Search This thread". Doing so in this forum for 2107 will yield quite a few hits that you might find interesting. In my opinion, the 2107 is a significant improvement over the stock op-amp. However, I believe the MUSES02 is even better.

Enjoy! :)

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #2,097 of 3,154

Yes, this 8-pin dual op-amp will work fine in your LD. Notice at the top and the bottom of every forum there is "Search This thread". Doing so in this forum for 2107 will yield quite a few hits that you might find interesting. In my opinion, the 2107 is a significant improvement over the stock op-amp. However, I believe the MUSES02 is even better.

Enjoy! :)

Many thanks gibosi

As the Burr Brown 2107 I can get for under £5, I was thinking of building an arsenal of both tubes and opamps, thanks so much for the quick reply, I can now pull the trigger with confidence.
:)

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2,098 of 3,154

Sorry gibosi

One more question if it's not too much trouble...

When switching opamps, is there anything else I need to do with regards to jumpers, switches etc, or do I just swap out the opamp and then I'm good to go.

Thanks again :)

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #2,100 of 3,154
  When switching opamps, is there anything else I need to do with regards to jumpers, switches etc, or do I just swap out the opamp and then I'm good to go.

There are no jumpers or any other settings to worry about. What is important is to make sure the op-amp is aligned properly in the socket. That is, line up the notch on the socket to the indented circle on the op-amp, and then you are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back