Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Dec 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #1,606 of 3,154
  Haven't got a spare pair of RCAs, but I have tried different cans (the more sensitive, the worse the hum) and just now installed a new opamp. The hum is almost inaudible much worse now. Put a brand new TI OPA2107AP even though a 2107 was in there already...

The quest continues!

Also, has anyone had to replace any of the screws holding the chassis together? One seems to have wandered off...

I had a ground-hum problem due to the front-right top screw coming loose. This particular screw is a critical component of the ground circuit. So yes, it might well be worth your while to investigate this further...

Good luck!

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,607 of 3,154

I had a ground-hum problem due to the front-right top screw coming loose. This particular screw is a critical component of the ground circuit. So yes, it might well be worth your while to investigate this further...

Good luck!

Good news: Found the screw.

Bad news: Still humming like like a tone deaf kid in church choir.

Not sure what has changed, but the hum is gone...

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #1,608 of 3,154
Hi , the only time mine ever hummed , it was my wi-fi router , have you eleminated that possibility ?

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #1,609 of 3,154
Changing those screws is likely a good idea if for no other reason that they are super cheap and tend to be easy to damage with frequent use.... but no I haven't changed mine yet.

As for the hum, you should try moving the amp away from anything that might be putting out some interference.  I found the LD I+ to be very susceptible to noise from other electronics close by.  Always good to rule out the simple stuff first.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #1,610 of 3,154
Hi , the only time mine ever hummed , it was my wi-fi router , have you eleminated that possibility ?

Haven't eliminated it per se, but the hum is gone now. The LD is sitting about 6 inches away from my laptop and the cDAC is leaving against it.
Changing those screws is likely a good idea if for no other reason that they are super cheap and tend to be easy to damage with frequent use.... but no I haven't changed mine yet.

Good call. I must've opened that chassis up a dozen times yesterday and those screws let me know it!

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,614 of 3,154
Anybody know of a concise list of favorite op-amp / tube combinations for Little Dot I+?

or

What's your favorite?
1. op-amp
2. tubes
3. headphones
4. preferred music genre

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #1,615 of 3,154
  Same here! :frowning2:

When i bought my LD MK III from another seller it took 3 business days to arrived from China  to Canada for me that was fast so i was hopping that it would be the same with Da#$@ but it turned out it will take him at least 3 days for quality BS  another 4 to 10 days to arrive. i did some logistics before so i think what he is doing is wait for bunch of order before he shipped in that way he gets quantity discount plus he make some more cash from shipping charges from us.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #1,616 of 3,154
Just got my little dot today :)
I have some 6CQ6 tubes in there too... thoughts on them? :)

I'm coming from a Creative Core 3d sound card.

First impressions are good... there seem's to be more oomph behind the bass, but with a bit more control as well?
Mids are good as always, and highs are still fairly bright (slightly warmer), but nice and crisp.
And i'm not sure if i'm making it up or not, but there seems to be more detail? I seem to be hearing more, but i'm not sure if it's just because i'm listening harder? haha! :)

I'm sure an improvement will come with time and burn-in! :)

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,617 of 3,154
Hi i just received my LD 1+ and i have a problem with it all tubes that i tried they HUM i mean all tubes EF91 Ef92 and EF95 they all hum except the tube that come with it which is 6J1.that 6J1 is dead quiet even in high gain with those EF91 EF92 and EF95 in high gain they hum loud.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #1,620 of 3,154
  Hi i just received my LD 1+ and i have a problem with it all tubes that i tried they HUM i mean all tubes EF91 Ef92 and EF95 they all hum except the tube that come with it which is 6J1.that 6J1 is dead quiet even in high gain with those EF91 EF92 and EF95 in high gain they hum loud.

The fact that your 6J1 is quiet suggests to me that the noisy tubes simply need to be burned in. Brand new tubes often buzz and hum. I suggest that you run your new tubes for 12 hours or so and see if they don't settle down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back