Little advice on buying new Grado SR80i's?
May 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

HydroTurtle

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to alot of Rap/Hip Hop and some Rock, and I was wondering if the Grado SR80i's suit me.

If yes, then what pads should i get? (I'm not a fan of the yellow HD414 pads)

Do they need to be amped?

May 31, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 22
I have the pre-"i" SR80's. I enjoy them very much so, especially for those types of music. It is a very straight forward headphone that is fun to listen to. When you hear people talking about soundstage - the soundstage is essentially non-existent with these. It feels like you are listening to the music amongst the musicians. This can be an advantage for hip-hop and rock.

My SR80's were equipped with (what I believe is) the the L-cushion. This isn't necessarily the best or worst, but what mine came with.

Disclaimer: these are open headphones. In other words, you will hear outside noise and people will hear what you are listening to. Due to this (and the fact they are pretty ugly) you don't want to walk down a busy street blaring your music.

It definitely does not need to be amped (but it wouldn't hurt). Straight out of an ipod will be just fine.

If what I said matches with your preconceptions then I would highly recommend these headphones. Good luck!

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 22
I've been doing like half an hour everyday of research on the Grado sr80i's and ive decided on getting them. 
Does anyone know what pads I shud get?
I heard the headband was uncomftorable, what should I do? I heard about the beyer headband but i cant find it ANYWHERE.

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
I've been doing like half an hour everyday of research on the Grado sr80i's and ive decided on getting them. 
Does anyone know what pads I shud get?
I heard the headband was uncomftorable, what should I do? I heard about the beyer headband but i cant find it ANYWHERE.

Have you considered the MS-1?

Their comfort depends on the individual, some find them uncomfortable, I find them reasonably comfortable.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 22
Hmmm... haha I change my mind.

I just read an hour of threads about SR80i vs MS-1's and most people recommend the MS-1's.
Although the SR80i's are more fun and bassier, they are also more fatiguing and are supposed to have worse quality.

So what pads should I get for the MS-1's?

Should I get a headband?

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 22
I'm kinda scared to go into my headphones.
But if one day I find that courage I'm going to replace the grill and recable it to have a single removable nylon cable.

I heard the bowls were good quality, but how is the comftorablilty? How is it after 1 or 2 hours?

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 22
I want to either order MS1s or SR80s, I'm tempted. I just don't know which to choose. I like hip hop and techno so the SR80s obviously appeal to me, but the MS1s are apparently more refined, I just don't want them to be boring to the point that I'm dissatisfied.

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 22
The MS-1s are supposed to have Grado SR-125 drivers, and they are in no wise 'boring', they're still Grados, but more neutral (not neutral 'phones though, lol) Better all-rounders.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 22
Hell yeah man for life. I never wanted a pair of Grados until recently. I hear many things about them that lean me away, but over time they have just been calling my name... "Try me! I am uncomfortable and lack any sound stage whatsoever, but you won't regret it!" at least that's what they say to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back