Listing your equipment in your sig: Attention seeking or helpful???
Apr 18, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #61 of 80
I find it helpful as I look at other's people's sigs for their equipment and find it useful to know what they own/like and what they've owned in the past.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #62 of 80
I have my signiture like it is as a sort of non-conformist parody. I like to feel that it lends an air of individuality. Besides I rotate my avatar to show various pictures of me wearing my gear and its all listed in my profile.

Maybe ill eventually change my mind and list. Maybe not.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #63 of 80
I actually find equipment-filled signatures to be exceptionally informative. You can often get a sense of what other people like to pair together, which often suggests what synergizes best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #65 of 80
A sig is a place to put your own personal mark. Since this is a headphone site, a headphone rig seems appropriate. As someone else pointed out, your profile lists your equipment but not your rig, which might provide some insight into what you thought was synergistic.

Of course, a catchy phrase or quote is also appropriate.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #66 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz
Listing your equipment in your sig: Attention seeking or helpful..

I think it is a bit of both, and definately assists other users with providing ideas in strategizing as far as mating components and matching sources to various inputs goes...as some have already mentioned.

And that man is far out..

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #67 of 80
i think listing one's equipment is useful and informative, and I have listed mine for just that reason. i could/may just limit mine to the rig i am using at the moment, but because i bounce around all 3, i have 3 listed.

in particular, on PC forums, seeing what people's rigs are in their sigs helps knowing where someone is coming from when they give out advice (since PCs often need tons of trouble shooting) or spout off at the mouth..so again, it's useful, IMO.

Of course, there is room for catchy quotes, references to something you love, etc too.

But, to be totally contradictory, I have turned off the viewing sigs option because i prefer just to read the posts and not have space taken up by rigs, quotes, etc. If i need to check what someone uses equipment-wise, it is just 1 click away.

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #68 of 80
Personally, I think it's very helpful to have your equipment listed on your signature.

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #69 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
A good rule of thumb would be to limit your signature to less that the length of your average post. I think it's annoying when someone posts just a few lines followed by a torrent of multicolored, multi-paragraph signature.

Amen (gives an evil eye to the jumbo signature crowd). I don't mind simple, short, non-colored signatures, but these huge multicolor affairs make it annoying to read threads.

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #70 of 80
if donne correctly (ie not too much space or uninteresting stuff...) I find it very helpful as it helps put the comments into context.
I should put mine in my sig btw

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #71 of 80
Helpful

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #72 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy
Amen (gives an evil eye to the jumbo signature crowd). I don't mind simple, short, non-colored signatures, but these huge multicolor affairs make it annoying to read threads.

I find that adding colours to the signature gives it a more refreshing look. As long as it is not too light-coloured (pink and white) and is easy to read, I prefer it to plain, non-coloured fonts.

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #73 of 80
I went through a stage where I took all equipment out of my sig because I thought it might look either boastful to those who aren't fortunate enough to have as much as me, or lame to those who have much more.

Then I realised how often I used other people's sigs as a reference point to place their comments into some sort of perspective, so I added it back and now keep both my sig and my profile as up to date as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back