Listing your equipment in your sig: Attention seeking or helpful???
Apr 18, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #31 of 80
I keep a low profile
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #33 of 80
I too find equipment sigs helpful, gives ideas for synergy too.

Although I think just randomly listing equipment in a sig by category is just dumb, that's what the profiles are for!
tongue.gif
Equipment setups in sigs, yes!
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #34 of 80
Aa long as it's not totally overdone, I find it quite helpfull.
Even with my very modest set-up, I've had many pm's from my sig.
Hopefully it's helped a few people.
Best,
Jim

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #35 of 80
Just as everyone mentioned I too find them extremely helpful. You don't know how many times I've PMd board members based on what I saw in their sig.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #37 of 80
Both attention-seeking *and* helpful IMO. One doesn't necessarily exclude the other, nor is seeking attention inherently "bad." I agree with those who say keep it down to a reasonable limit in terms of space used.

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #38 of 80
I've always thought it useful to know what others are listening to. Maybe some people use it to brag, but I don't see it that way.

Helped a lot at first, since I'd see something listed and then go look it up. Every now and then, a piece of gear I haven't heard of still comes up. It'd be too much trouble to check the profiles of every person posting, anyway, so I like it.

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #39 of 80
Personally i don't care what people put in their signature as long as it isn't too long, complicated or distracting.

I usually think of it the same way that i would an actual signature, it's a way to personalize and distinguish a persons posts. I usually recognize posters by sigs and avatars rather than by username and if i am annoyed by a person's signature, then i usually don't pay much attention to their posts.

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #40 of 80
I had no idea what's down there \/ till I posted this and looked at it.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #41 of 80
This is the only place where people know what a PPX3-6SN7-SLAM is, without me having to tell them that it's a big black headphone amplifier with some glowing tubes on top. And the same with the Grado RS-2 aka "a pair of headphones with mahogany cups that cost over 900 euros here but less than 400 euros in the U.S.".
confused.gif

So that's why I like to list my equipment in my sig. It's not (only) about bragging, it's about community.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #42 of 80
Don't know about attention seeking but definetly in some cases it's bragging rights but that matters less to me than seeing what a poster's plane of reference is. If someone is saying that something is DA BOMB and they do all their listening out of an MP3 player at 4KB/sec then I know to look elsewhere for an informed opinion on that piece of gear.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #43 of 80
I would be careful with using the posters current rig as a reference point. It tells little about what he previously owned and why he doesnt own it anymore. Also it (in most cases) doesnt tell what music the poster is listening, imho a big part of the equation too.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #44 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by afireinside
I don't mind. It's common practice to list your stuff in your sig in the computer/overclocking community as well. I enjoy seeing what people have. A few people I've seen had gear in their sig I was interested in buying so I just shot them a PM asking what they think about the said piece of gear. It also makes it easier when giving suggestions when someone asks what to buy.

Exactly, I have seen similar question in DSLR forums. Sure, some might be bragging or proud to show what they have, but I think in general it is helpful to see what other people have.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #45 of 80
I think it is useful. This way, if i make a comment about iPods or E4c, people will know that I actually use them.

The rest of my signature has some of my interests, and that, I have to admit, was done as kind of a parody on everyone else's long signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back