List of High-End Analog Source Owners on Head-Fi Continued
Feb 15, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #151 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, it's much more than in a box - it's all set up in my office
biggrin.gif
One of the great advantages of working from home. I love my VPI, and it's the better sounding deck, but they will have to pry the DP-59L from my cold, dead hands. I will never get rid of it. Fortunately I actually have a way to still use it!

I have a solution that is most favorable to the both of us. You should work in the room with the VPI in it, so you can listen tot the better system all the time and I can buy your Denon just so you don't feel bad for it. I'm only thinking of you here, there's nothing in it for me of course.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #152 of 256
Finally got the new OL table up and running. Right out of the box, it is a big step up from the Gyro in terms of dynamics and drive. I was actually quite surprised how obvious the difference in character between the two decks was considering everything else in the system remained exactly the same.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #153 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got the new OL table up and running. Right out of the box, it is a big step up from the Gyro in terms of dynamics and drive. I was actually quite surprised how obvious the difference in character between the two decks was considering everything else in the system remained exactly the same.

Man that is a beautiful table/arm......I'm sure it's a huge improvement!!! Question----Is the arm a uni-pivot or fixed bearing??? I read an outstanding review of your tables/arm combo....but I forget the arm details...... Also what cartridge are you using?? Happy listening.....

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #154 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9pintube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question----Is the arm a uni-pivot or fixed bearing???

Ah, now that's a bit of a trick question. The better OL arms are pivot designs but in use feel like a gimballed arm because there are two pivot points rather than just one. Vertical movement is handled by the pivots and horizontal movement by a conventional fixed bearing. It's easier to see in an illustration.

Screenshot2010-02-28at55526AM.png

I have the Encounter, which is about the middle of their range and am using it happily with a Shelter 501 Mk II cart.

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #155 of 256
Thanks for the illustration Hopstretch, That helps, I new it was some "Top Shelf" design...My buddie has their cheaper model and even it's a great tracker!!! Those are His words, "CHEAPER" model.........I'm in the camp of, "IF YOU LIKE IT" and Your Equipment WORKS for YOU then that's all that matters......Enjoy your new table with the "KILLER" arm.....and outstanding Shelter 501 Mk II cart.

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #158 of 256
VPI Scout with Signature Arm Wiring for my recent 51st birthday. Denon 301mkII cartridge at present. Might go with a Dynavector 10x5 if I can't get rock and roll to play well on my system. The jazz does great.

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #159 of 256
Nice! Welcome to Team VPI
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #161 of 256
Quote:

Nice! Welcome to Team VPI
biggrin.gif

Skylab, I see your a VPI man so who better to ask! My buddy had to sell his Scout Master last yr. to help pay for his daughters Art Classes, needless to say he's going through Vinyl withdraw and asked me if I've seen or heard of any positive info on the VPI "Classic" T.T.????? I've read some reviews but, what do you think about Harry's new table????? He's ready to buy....again

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #162 of 256
Quote:

Skylab, I see your a VPI man so who better to ask! My buddy had to sell his Scout Master last yr. to help pay for his daughters Art Classes, needless to say he's going through Vinyl withdraw and asked me if I've seen or heard of any positive info on the VPI "Classic" T.T.????? I've read some reviews but, what do you think about Harry's new table????? He's ready to buy....again

The Classic is a very good table. The equal, if not better than the Scoutmaster he had. The arm is better for sure.
That said, in the same price range, The Well Tempered Armadeus is IMO a better sounding table. More organic, nicer flow of music. In side by side comparison I thought the VPI was a little sterile. Both are ahead of the class in that price range.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #163 of 256
Quote:

If I were buying a new TT right now, there is no doubt in my mind, it would be the Classic. Easier to deal with than previous VPI's, looks great, and by every account sounds better than any version of the Scout (although I personally have not heard the Classic).

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #165 of 256
Quote:

If I were buying a new TT right now, there is no doubt in my mind, it would be the Classic. Easier to deal with than previous VPI's, looks great, and by every account sounds better than any version of the Scout (although I personally have not heard the Classic).

I agree that the VPI Classic is significantly better that the basic Scout (Primarily due to the improved Tonearm). I disagree adamantly with people who are claiming that the Classic outperforms a loaded Super ScoutMaster. The Arm on the Classic is not a the true 10.5i and Classic lacks the solidity and weight and speed stability that comes from the massive platter and flywheel.

I've heard the Classic in several systems and I'll grant that the Classic is a great value, but it's not in the same league as a Super Scoutmaster. As far the reviews that the Classic are getting goes; they just show how political and biased such reviews are. The reviewers are all enjoying the Emperor's new Clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back