List of DACs that work with iPad
May 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #677 of 963
Quote:
I've got 6.1.3 to, and have no problems running a HRT Headstreamer via CCK, and a powered Belkin hub

Quote:
Oh and I have an ipad 3 with a 30 pin connector.

Yeah it seems like they cut the power even worse than iOS5. What I really can't figure out is why it won't work on the Cantate when the only thing it needs from the iPad is to power the indicator lamp. What music player are you using BTW? Maybe it works with  no issues (but needs a powered hub) on iTunes but not with FLACPlayer and Accudio?

May 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #679 of 963
@ProtegeManiac... You might have nailed it there.. I just use iTunes, for music/movies...due to the fact that it's not my main source!

Well it probably won't be mine either, just ordered a new case for my S3 that's easily removed, plus another 32gb microSD. Looks like the phone will be my main source and the iPad2 will be permanently next to the active speakers, as at least the line out is good enough. On the upside, I'll have white phone on a white dock next to a silver amp, as opposed to a black tablet on a white dock.

May 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #680 of 963
My files are stored on a Seagate Wireless Plus HDD that is connected to iPad mini (DLNA) via the HDD's built in wifi. All of the files are FLAC (16/44 and 24/96). I've tried both 8Player and Remote File Browser, same thing. No luck. The iPad mini > CCK > powered USB DAC works, with or without a hub (both powered and unpowered). Connecting to the same DAC's coax input via the M2Tech HiFace 2 and the CCK (which is what I need for my car) does not work, with or without a hub (both powered and unpowered).

I contacted a few other USB to SPDIF manufactureres to see if their products work with the iPad mini and CCK (with or withoug powered/unpowered hub). Matrix Digital claims that theirs will work with the iPad mini and CCK with or withoug a hub, Peachtree is checking, and Stello says that theirs will not "[size=x-small]ecause stello U3 does not have host device function, iPad mini will not recognize it." Does that quote mean anything to anybody?[/size]

May 11, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #682 of 963
Quote:
I contacted a few other USB to SPDIF manufactureres to see if their products work with the iPad mini and CCK (with or withoug powered/unpowered hub). Matrix Digital claims that theirs will work with the iPad mini and CCK with or withoug a hub, Peachtree is checking, and Stello says that theirs will not "[size=x-small]ecause stello U3 does not have host device function, iPad mini will not recognize it." Does that quote mean anything to anybody?[/size]

In simplistic terms, what they're saying is that the iPad Mini functions like older Android devices or kind of like how the NuForce iDo works (a host-capable device usually has a USB-A port). In other words, you hook it up to something like a home theater receiver or a car audio receiver, and the mobile device becomes a mobile storage device automatically without manually switching to "external storage mode" that disables all of its other functions, such as being a phone. SImilarly the iDo acts as an iTunes host of sorts, as it explicitly cannot work with anything that iTunes can't read (look up the "Compression format compatibility," or thereabouts, on the iDo page).

However I'm not really sure that's the only way the Mini works. I've seen a Matrix SPDIF converter working with it, and if my memory is correct, that's without a CCK. Then again, there could be a chip on it that allows it to serve as the "host" device without having any controls on it like a receiver, so that's why the CCK wasn't necessary.

May 15, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #683 of 963
Just to recap a few things to make iPad works with external generic USB DACs even with latest 6.1.3 iOS.
Both of the points below must be addressed:

1) The USB DAC must works driverless at least at 1.1 USB specs (24bit/96Khz).
For example the M2Tech Young desktop powered USB DAC (32bit/384Khz capable) always needs a driver to work so it'll never works with any iPad regardless of iOS version.
To check if your USB DAC could potentially works, test it driverless with a computer.

2) iPad power check must be satisfied and it's now limited at 20mA.
It's difficult to find a USB DAC that could be powered via USB at 20mA MAX or even a desktop USB DAC able to provide power via its USB port so to pass iPad power check.
It's not enough to provide power since iPad checks power requirements of the USB port asking data and only a USB Hub in the middle could do the trick: if it's powered any port will provide power to any attached device and of course will pass iPad power check.

To use more than the 20mA limit get the little USB Hub cable woodiini suggests (the brand name is UNITEK) since it always works: iPad USB out limit of 20mA is enough for it and will pass iPad power check. BUT that doesn't mean any USB DAC will be powered by the iPad USB Out and you must test if your device could be used without additional power.
woodiini suggests Audioquest Dragonfly is reported working even without additional power.

If you need to stream 24 bit files from server to iPad, the things to check are even more complicated (each point in the chain could downsample data to 16bit/44Khz even when the audio file could be replayed), but I've tried to recap them in the ever evolvin OT here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-with-24-bit-files-high-storage-capacity-portability-bit-perfect-configurations-that-work .

Hope this helps.

May 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #684 of 963
Quote:
Just to recap a few things to make iPad works with external generic USB DACs even with latest 6.1.3 iOS.
Both of the points below must be addressed:

1) The USB DAC must works driverless at least at 1.1 USB specs (24bit/96Khz).

2) iPad power check must be satisfied and it's now limited at 20mA.

To use more than the 20mA limit get the little USB Hub cable woodiini suggests (the brand name is UNITEK) since it always works

1) My Meier Cantate.2 works driverless.

2) Haven't tried any hubs, but I just gave up totally on the iPad and just got my S3 a dock and a rubber case (with a tighter plastic case) that's supposedly easier to remove, in case my current case won't fit even without the insert on the dock. I just tell myself the trade-off for the screen size is the color coordination (silver amp+white phone+white dock, vs white dock+black tablet).

Thanks for the tip though, missed that one. Might still get one of these later on, but I'll have to wait for a group buy or some other bulk shipment, as I live where Customs inspectors are predatory and shipping is expensive. I basically went for the dock and alternate case because I was shipping a replacement power supply and a lens cap from the US anyways.

May 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #685 of 963
My Gungnir still works with the iPad via USB input/CCK without any kind of hub after the most recent iOS update. I have the original USB board but I would assume that Schiit hasn't changed the underlying architecture with the revised ones.

May 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #686 of 963
Of course your Gungir has a powered USB port so it'll pass iPad power check without a USB Hub, also the Antelope Audio Zodiac works and a few more but not all desktop USB DAcs have a powered USB port so they won't work without a USB Hub.
My suggestions are for USB DACs that don't work out of the box and mainly for portable devices which usually don't have a powered USB port or need external power to operate.

May 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #687 of 963
Quote:
My Gungnir still works with the iPad via USB input/CCK without any kind of hub after the most recent iOS update. I have the original USB board but I would assume that Schiit hasn't changed the underlying architecture with the revised ones.

Nuts, why am I the only one?! My Cantate never needed a hub. Heck my Galaxy S3 worked properly - at some point I thought it just sucked,  but when I switched to PowerAmp and later MediaMonkey (Beta), turned out Neutron Media Player was the problem (also caused hissing with all my IEMs, which I thought was hardware related - there's still some hiss but I'd have to strain to hear it).

May 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #688 of 963
I have to use a hub when I move the iPad to my secondary system, even though the Bravo USB converter plugs in to the wall (or separate PSU plugged in to the wall). I would pick up one of those uniteks but it's not really an issue for me. Plus I have a Bott hub somewhere, if I ever find it again.

May 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #689 of 963
Quote:

Nuts, why am I the only one?! My Cantate never needed a hub. Heck my Galaxy S3 worked properly - at some point I thought it just sucked,  but when I switched to PowerAmp and later MediaMonkey (Beta), turned out Neutron Media Player was the problem (also caused hissing with all my IEMs, which I thought was hardware related - there's still some hiss but I'd have to strain to hear it).

You are not the only one.

Has anyone been able to use the hiFace2 with an iPad mini (iOS 6.1.3) ?

I have been trying to get the HiFace2 to work with an iPad mini for two weeks, including loading updated firmware after I informed M2Tech about the iOS 6.1.3 20 mA issue. With the iPad mini and a CCK, I've connected the hiFace2 directly to the CCK and to the CCK through a number of different powered and unpowered hubs, and wiht a Y power USB cable (not UNITECH, I'm waiting for that to arrive from China - it took the slow boat). HiFace2 does not work, i.e. no sound when connected to coax input of DAC. The hiFace2 works fine from a windows 7 PC, and the iPad mini has no problem with a CCK to DAC USB connection. [Of course, the hiFace2 is intended for a DAC with no USB.]

May 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #690 of 963
I had been using a Fiio e7 with the CCK from my iPad 3 no problem at all. I recently got an Aune T1 hybrid dac/amp (in the Aune the dac has the tube not the amp). Upon setting this up I immediately got the dreaded power warning. I had to go through a little Belkin powered hub and now it works fine, and sounds spectacular through my HD 558s. I still don't understand why a plug in powered dac/amp like the T1 would need a powered hub. Anyway the sound is so good that I don't mind the inconvenience to "trick" the iPad into working with this set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back