List of DACs that work with iPad
Apr 26, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #661 of 963
Do NOT  upgrade to 6.1.3! My iPad's useless as an audio server now unless I buy an HRT iStreamer or the like. However I'll still have to confirm if the iPad Mini works with SPDIF adapters using 6.1.3, as I've seen it working but I don't know the iOS version, but basically all that will do is make me think that maybe the problem isn't that they blocked out USB Audio, but the .3 version doesn't work properly with the 30-pin devices. For all I know, even the iDevice-specific DACs don't work with my iPad anymore. Will have to wait until I can borrow one that isn't the NuForce (since it only works with iTunes).

My iPad 3 ("The New iPad") and Audioquest Dragonfly work very well together under iOS 6.1.3, including 96/24 and 88.2/24.

There might be more at play than just the OS version.

Graham

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #662 of 963
Quote:
My iPad 3 ("The New iPad") and Audioquest Dragonfly work very well together under iOS 6.1.3, including 96/24 and 88.2/24.

Graham

Thanks. Now I'm almost certain the update just screwed up my older iPad; but then again, I'm not willing to shell out money for another one given I've barely worn out the battery on this one but I've lost the dumb box.

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #663 of 963
Is it possible to get a new iPad 4 128gb and somehow put older IOS on it?

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #664 of 963
Is it possible to get a new iPad 4 128gb and somehow put older IOS on it?

Unfortunately, this isn't possible.

Through a signing process, Apple control which OS version(s) can and can't be installed, and this check happens at the point the install is attempted. You can still download older versions of iOS, but the only version that can be installed ATM is 6.1.3 because that's the only version that Apple are signing now.

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #665 of 963
Quote:

Thanks. Now I'm almost certain the update just screwed up my older iPad; but then again, I'm not willing to shell out money for another one given I've barely worn out the battery on this one but I've lost the dumb box.

Which iPad do you have?

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #667 of 963
I have my Audio-gd Master 7 with USB-32 firmware #4 working through a Vaunix hub. I haven't tried it direct yet because I need a longer cable. 

May 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #668 of 963
Quote:

Graham

Update : tried it again with the D-Zero, as both a DAC (main power switch is off, but fixed analog output goes out the Line Out) and as a DAC-Amp (main switch on, using headphone output), and it now says "Device not supported, too much power" (sic). Basically I'm absolutely certain now there's nothing wrong with my CCK adapter or USB cable. Same USB cable but hooked up to an OTG-USB and my Galaxy S3 and it works wonderfully with MediaMonkey (still sucks with NeutronMP).

May 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #670 of 963
I'm back to working reliably with Dragonfly, Chinese hub and the new lightning connector to USB (replaces/eliminates the 30 pin CCK with adapter).  Most likely an Apple conspiracy to get another $30 out of me...well, it worked!

May 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #671 of 963
Quote:

Do NOT  upgrade to 6.1.3! My iPad's useless as an audio server now unless I buy an HRT iStreamer or the like. However I'll still have to confirm if the iPad Mini works with SPDIF adapters using 6.1.3, as I've seen it working but I don't know the iOS version, but basically all that will do is make me think that maybe the problem isn't that they blocked out USB Audio, but the .3 version doesn't work properly with the 30-pin devices. For all I know, even the iDevice-specific DACs don't work with my iPad anymore. Will have to wait until I can borrow one that isn't the NuForce (since it only works with iTunes).

FWIW - I just bought an iPad mini (6.1.3 out of the box). My m2Tech hi Face 2 USB/SPDIF will not work with an unpowered hub, a powered hub or no hub (iPad mini > cck > hub > HiFace2 > DACmini coax input). However, iPad mini > cck > powered hub > DACmini usb input works fine.

May 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #672 of 963
I'm also up and running with an iPad mini, Lightning to USB connector, an old USB hub I had that has the option of being powered (has a little socket for an adapter that is long lost), and a Fiio E17 with the charging turned off.  I was kind of surprised I could get it to work without outside power to the hub.  The length and weight of the hub are not too bad, and with a short USB cable, the solution is compact.  I'm happy too!   If I get a chance, I'll take a picture of the hub to help identify it. 

May 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #673 of 963
Quote:
I'm also up and running with an iPad mini, Lightning to USB connector, an old USB hub I had that has the option of being powered (has a little socket for an adapter that is long lost), and a Fiio E17 with the charging turned off.  I was kind of surprised I could get it to work without outside power to the hub.  The length and weight of the hub are not too bad, and with a short USB cable, the solution is compact.  I'm happy too!   If I get a chance, I'll take a picture of the hub to help identify it. 

What iOS version are you running on the iPad mini?

May 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #674 of 963
Quote:
FWIW - I just bought an iPad mini (6.1.3 out of the box). My m2Tech hi Face 2 USB/SPDIF will not work with an unpowered hub, a powered hub or no hub (iPad mini > cck > hub > HiFace2 > DACmini coax input). However, iPad mini > cck > powered hub > DACmini usb input works fine.

Posted an update to that earlier post, iPad now saying "Device not supported - too much power." Basically its promise of battery management was to cut power through the USB. What confuses me is that if the only issue was power, then it shouldn't work with the D-Zero, but it should work with the Cantate, since the only thing it needs USB power for is the indicator lamp (basically just to show the user that input is active), and the DAC circuit itself takes its power off the amp's power supply (and voltage swing drops by 0.2v according to the specs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back