List of DACs that work with iPad
Aug 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #481 of 963
Thanks for the info, I'm glad I asked first. The dock is not really ideal since I'm using it while travelling/on the move so I would prefer something where I can still use my iPad. Has anyone tried making a cck style cable? Or maybe pulled a cck apart and and put its contents in a smaller shell?

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #485 of 963
Yeah it does seem like it should work, but I have done some searches and cannot find anybody that has explicitly stated that it does. I am waiting on my CCK to be delivered tomorrow, so will just test myself, but was wondering if somebody else might have already done so.

Sorry if this response doesn't show up in the right place.
On my iPad and haven't figured out why certain things are freaky (quoting responses, rich text editor not working, etc.) - but you CAN use the DACport w/ an iPad2 and CCK. All you need is a USB battery w/ 2 usb inputs (and be sure it will pass the signal from one source to the other - some USB back-up battery packs do not). Plug in the DACport into one, iPad into the other USB input via the CCK. Voila!! I've used it that way. It works GREAT.

CEntrance will tell you which model USB battery kits work, just drop them an email.

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #486 of 963
and, soon the HRT Headstreamer will be compatible with iPad too, using their "host-mode adapter"

I'm getting the soon-to-be-released HRT "host mode adapter" that allows the Headstreamer to connect to iPad like a CCK. I'm PUMPED to hear it! If it's as good as I think it will be, like Jude, I'll be travling with an Audioquest Dragonfly to cover my laptops music and one more piece to cover my iPad, the Headstreamer!! Though I know the Headstreamer will of course handle my Macbooks music too. I'm just really loving the Dragonfly right now...

Jude told me last month that he travels w/ the Dragofly and Fostex HP-P1 when he needs to travel light and cover computer and iDevices. (with tons of different cans I'm sure).

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #487 of 963
I connecting an iBasso D7 to my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S (jailbroken with CameraConnector installed) today using the CCK and a powered USB hub. While it worked, it was different from other DACs I've tried, namely the Nuforce uDAC and Headstage/Headphonia USB DAC cable (new version). Normally the volume is controlled by the external DAC/AMP setup, but with the D7, the iPad maintains control of the volume (volume slider in music app) and turning the volume knob does on the D7 nothing. This happens with both the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. I was wondering if anyone could comment on this.

I may have plugged my headphones into the line out by accident (darinf in the D7 thread pointed this out), just tried it again and everything's fine! Volume knob on DAC/AMP works and the volume slide in music app also works, so you get dual control, but I just leave the slider at max. I had to connect, disconnect, reconnect and restart the music app a few times to get it to work, but it works!

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #488 of 963
Did a LOT of experimentation with Audioquest Dragonfly.  This will save people work.

What works:
1. Ipad 3, Apple CCK or generic CCK to USB splitter cable, signal to USB 2.0 hub with dragonfly, power end connected to Zagg Sparkq USB power.  Works solid
2. Iphone 4s jailbroken, Bigboss Cameraconnector installed, non-Apple CCK to USB splitter cable, signal to USB 2.0 hub with dragonfly, power end connected to Zagg Sparkq USB power. Reboot iphone, works for a while, then stops - trying to ID issue

Parts:
USB splitter cable:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/180873054040?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
non-Apple CCK:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ip017-5-in1-USB-Camera-Connection-Kit-Card-Reader-for-iPad-2-New-iPad-3-/180954596586?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item2a21bc04ea

What doesnt work:
1. no USB hub. Why it requires a USB hub is beyond me.
2. USB 1 hub . Needs USB 2 hub
3. Apple CCK on on iphone 4s. just gets garbled noise.
4. iphone 4s stable.  The music stops once iphone autolocks I think.  So far it times out after a few minutes. working on issue

Will update as I do more experiments. trying to come up with the most compact hardware that supports dragonfly on ipad and iphone.

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #490 of 963
I have an Apogee Mini DAC with firewire 400 card.  I want to use it with Ipad in my car.

If I could get this to work with the CCK I would sell it and get a USB Apogee mini DAC. I like the Apogee Mini DAC because it has the option of variable volume control or fixed, it is a good headphone amp, and it can be used without a computer (unlike the Apogee duet or Apogee Duet 2). I also can easily run the Apogee Mini DAC off a car battery which eliminated dirty power issues. It has a ton of inputs (firewire or USB, coax, optical, and AES/EBU  and even if I have say 2 optical devices I can convert the AES/EBU input into an optical with a HOSA adaptor (or similar if anyone knows a better one).

Currently the Mini DAC connects to A Nakamichi Music Bank via coax, an Apple TV via optical, a Qumi 5 projector via Hosa AES/EBU to Optical converter....and i would hope to connect an iPad 3 via USB.

So before I buy an iPad 3 and sell (or trade)  my existing Apogee Mini DAC with Firewire for an Apogee Mini DAC with USB..... could anyone tell me if it works? And Headphone Addict...you used to love your Apogee Mini DAC...did you swap it for something else???

What if i use a USB to coaxial sdif converter???  

http://www.virtualvillage.com/usb-mini-converter-to-spdif-output-008415-011.html?origin=product-search&kwd=&source=pla&gclid=CKza8MyPmrICFQeCQgodRl0Awg

Would this work?

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #491 of 963
Quote:

Because it has no PSU (or even a battery) of its own? And Apple in its infinite wisdom (maybe to protect every company that paid to get the "Made for i(device)" chip? Like how they sued Samsung?) limited current draw in iOS5 onwards.

That doesnt make sense.  I can connect a PSU to the the hub and plug the dragonfly to the hub and it works.  I can plug the dragonfly directly to the CCK and use THE SAME PSU to the dragonfly so the CCK doesnt power the dragonfly and it doesnt work.  Hmm, I am wondering (from another thread) if having the PSU only power the dragonfly is the problem.  If I wire the PSU also to power the CCK, maybe that is the reason a hub is needed.  The hub doesnt just power the dragonfly, it also powers the CCK.  Well some experimentation to try unless someone knows how these USB splitter cables are wired.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #492 of 963
Quote:

That doesnt make sense.  I can connect a PSU to the the hub and plug the dragonfly to the hub and it works.  I can plug the dragonfly directly to the CCK and use THE SAME PSU to the dragonfly so the CCK doesnt power the dragonfly and it doesnt work.  Hmm, I am wondering (from another thread) if having the PSU only power the dragonfly is the problem.  If I wire the PSU also to power the CCK, maybe that is the reason a hub is needed.  The hub doesnt just power the dragonfly, it also powers the CCK.  Well some experimentation to try unless someone knows how these USB splitter cables are wired.

When you "plug the dragonfly to the hub and it works" what's the source? Or do you just mean that it powers up?

When it doesn't work with both a hub and CCK I'm guessing the wiring of either/both cables and the hub might actually not be sendng current to the Dragonfly.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #493 of 963
I hope someone can clarify something for me. Does the CCK provide digital out or does it act as an LOD? If it does act as a digital out then does it defeat the purpose of a Algorhythm Solo or Fostex HP-P1. My understanding was that the CLAS and Fostex were the only devices that provided digital out. Thanks in advance.

iPad (not jailbroken) can pass 24 bit-perfect data (not downsampled) only with CCK to a compatible DAC/Amp or using CLAS without CCK (check official faq not manual at page 7) and both only under specifics configs.
Fostex HP-P1 was reported to always downsample at 16 bit (checked its digital out to external dac which displays bit/freq received).
Most servers and software apps will downconvert to 16 bit in some point in the chain before reaching the DAC.
Until now only Logitech Media Server + iPeng (in-app purchase of player needed) or iTunes Home Sharing (no FLACs support) works without downsampling= 24 bit-perfect streaming.
PlugPlayer + UPnP servers always downsample to 16 bit.
Until now, not a single portable solution is confirmed working with high storage wi-fi devices capable to stream 24 bit perfect to iPad to address its major problem: limited storage capacity without wi-fi.
Any other iDevice not jailbroken will be limited to 16 bit, CLAS included.

There's a lot of confusion for 24 bits not downsampled to iDevices, and generally not a great interest, so I've just started a dedicated thread here http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-with-24-bit-files-high-storage-capacity-portability-which-configuration-works-without-downsampling#post_8667839 to clear things up, but a lots of points still needs to be addressed.
Please partecipate to improve infos for working 24 bit-perfect portable systems for iDevices.

I'll update that OT asap any config is reported accurately.

Thanks

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #494 of 963
Great news on the Dragonfly working with the iPad, despite the minor quibbles.
gs1000.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #495 of 963
Quote:

When you "plug the dragonfly to the hub and it works" what's the source? Or do you just mean that it powers up?

When it doesn't work with both a hub and CCK I'm guessing the wiring of either/both cables and the hub might actually not be sendng current to the Dragonfly.

"Works" = plays all files in itunes (ALAC through 16/44) and through Goldenear app plays hi res through 44 kHz. It does not seem to work at higher sample rates on the ipad, dont know why.  tried 3 different hubs.

In both cases it sends current through the Dragonfly. I suspect that there is some power toggle that is needed.  That guess is based on the fact that if I unplug the power in the middle of playing, it continues working for a while then stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back