List of DACs that work with iPad
Jul 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #466 of 963
If the battery is powering the DAC chip, then yes there's a good chance that it will. If the chip is USB-powered, you could try the Dr Bott but you may be out of luck.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #475 of 963
Quote:
To complete my answer; i saw some post trying use the AudioengineD1 with a powered usb Hub.....its work?

When I try the iPad 3 iOS 5.1.1 > CCK > Dr Botts T3 hub (which tells the iPad that the hub is powered when it really isn't) > D1 DAC/amp = the iPad still says the D1 uses too much power.

When I switch the hub to a mini sized Belkin wall powered 4 port hub then the D1 works just fine with iPad 3 and CCK.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #477 of 963
Quote:
What about usind the audioengine with a dock with digital output (pure, cambridgeaudio?)

If you had a iPod dock with optical digital out and feed that into the D1, as long as you give the D1 power via the USB port (wallwart, hub, computer) then you can use it.  My digital dock only has coax out, so I can't use it.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #478 of 963
I have an ipad 3|Headroom Portable Micro Amp wDAC combo for my headphones (I find it much easier to connect for DAC use than any of my computers since you don't have to change any settings, just plug and play). At the moment I'm using the camera connector with a usb<----->miniusb cable but I'm looking for a single cable (so that its a bit sturdier) to replace it with. So far I've found this:

http://goincase.com/products/detail/usb-mini-cable-kit-ec20057

Anyone have any other suggestions for a suitable cable?

Thanks
Phil

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #479 of 963

Quote:
I have an ipad 3|Headroom Portable Micro Amp wDAC combo for my headphones (I find it much easier to connect for DAC use than any of my computers since you don't have to change any settings, just plug and play). At the moment I'm using the camera connector with a usb<----->miniusb cable but I'm looking for a single cable (so that its a bit sturdier) to replace it with. So far I've found this:

Thanks
Phil

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can take CCK out of the chain unless you use a DAC that's MFi (Made for iPod, iPhone, iPad) certified. The digital audio output of the iDevice is encrypted using Apple protocols and as such, you need the decryption key/hardware from apple to get digital audio. I think the CCK includes this decryption hardware and thus allows you to use USB Audio Class compliant DAC with it, It simply won't work without the CCK.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #480 of 963
Quote:

Thanks
Phil

That won't work, the CCK isn't just an adapter. The iPad recognizes it as an interface to exchange data, similar to a "Made for iPod" DAC, which is why the latter doesn't need the CCK. 

Are you using it portable, or just fixed on your desk? If your concern is to have a sturdy cable, you can just keep it in place by using the upright dock, then plug the CCK into that. That way everything stays stable/stationary. Not great if you use the iPad for browsing/reading e-magazines while listening though.

It will sort of be like this on your desk: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back