List of DACs that work with iPad
Jan 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #346 of 963
Has anyone tried an iBasso DB2 with an iPad2 / CCK? Will it run without a powered USB hub?

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #348 of 963
I am trying to connect my iPad 1 to the DACmini the first time since I upgraded to iOS5. Interestingly the iPad doesn't recognize the DAC with an authentic Apple dock in between (i.e. iPad > Apple Dock > CCK > DACmini). However it works after I remove the dock in the chain.

This setup used to work flawlessly before the OS upgrade. Anyone have similar experience?

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #349 of 963

Quote:
I am trying to connect my iPad 1 to the DACmini the first time since I upgraded to iOS5. Interestingly the iPad doesn't recognize the DAC with an authentic Apple dock in between (i.e. iPad > Apple Dock > CCK > DACmini). However it works after I remove the dock in the chain.

This setup used to work flawlessly before the OS upgrade. Anyone have similar experience?

Wow, that's really strange. I wonder what could have changed from one iOS version to the next? My iPad2 worked fine with an authentic dock. It should theoretically just be passing the signal through, so I don't even know how your iPad would know the difference. Maybe the dock is defective? That's the only thing I can think of. Some minor thing in the signal path that has a faulty spec or something. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #351 of 963
I read somewhere, that the iBasso D-Zero can be used with an iPad.  Unfortunately, I can't get it to work with my iPad 2.  If anyone has gotten it to work, without external power, please let us know.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #352 of 963
I have been testing my ibasso D6 since i got it last year along with my ipad1 with allot of mixed results (solution probably berried in this tread, who has the time?) . but i think i finally found the prob.
here is the original combo:

Ipad1(iOS<4) + flacplayer(1.0) + (16/44kHz flac files) + CCK(some times with the original dock) + ibasso D6 + SE535 = works like a charm.

Then I updated to iOS5 and flacplayer 1.2 and uploaded 24/96kHz music and started to have some problems, sometimes when playing 24/96 files the ipad said that the D6 was consuming to much power. but sometimes just worked. 16/44 allways played. After several tries, also using a very crapy dlink powered hub, I realized that i started to have problems when the battery indicator for the ipad went below 60 - 50 %, After the ipad went below 50% power, 24/96 files made the power consumption problem, when the battery says 60% or up the 24/96 music sounds as good as when played from my computer. Just to let you know.

working 24/96 combo:

iPAD1(iOS>5, >60%battery) + FLACplayer(1.2) + (24/96kHz flac files) + CCK(w or w/o dock) + ibasso D6 (on battery) + SE535 = Heavenly music everywhere I want.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #354 of 963

Quote:
With upcoming iPad 3, I'm having my hopes up for hi-rez audio in iPad, although the storage space is really lacking.

Well, the iPad 2 (and likely the original as well) can already play hi-res if you use the right software and the Camera Connection Kit.

I'd love to see native support even if it was capped at 24/96. But I'd want it to support FLAC rather than just ALAC so I wouldn't have to convert all my library. I'm doubtful Apple will deliver but we'll see. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #355 of 963

Quote:
Well, the iPad 2 (and likely the original as well) can already play hi-res if you use the right software and the Camera Connection Kit.

I'd love to see native support even if it was capped at 24/96. But I'd want it to support FLAC rather than just ALAC so I wouldn't have to convert all my library. I'm doubtful Apple will deliver but we'll see. 

Yup. I have FLAC player, but I want native support like you said.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #356 of 963

Quote:
Yup. I have FLAC player, but I want native support like you said.

I'll be happy even if they take one step in the right direction - adding FLAC support would be huge, or adding the ability to handle hi-res ALAC would be great as well. Then later they could finish whichever step is still needed. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #358 of 963
How did you guys actually get these DACs to work?

I tried uDAC, iBasso D12, iBasso D6 and all were not working. Does it need to have a USB powered hub or can it be used on its own with the CCK? I set charge to "off" and gain to "low". Am I missing anything? Must I download FLACPlayer to make it work?

I need some help please.

Thanks for your responses.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #360 of 963
Some DACs quit working with iOS 4 and newer, which disables them if they draw too much power.  Search the thread for you DAC to see what other people have said about them working, and if they could get them working with a powered hub.

I pretty much don't use a portable DAC and just use a LOD to my Pico Slim or SR-71b for the convenience.  When I do use a DAC it's with my Pico DAC portable, or DACmini in a desktop rig, with the camera connection kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back