List of DACs that work with iPad
Jun 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #271 of 963
qusp, etc

You are right - there is PLENTY of jitter in those setups.  That is why its important to have a system that can adaquately prevent all of that jitter from reaching the D/A stage.  Benchmark's UltraLock has been proven by many third parties to successfully sheild the D/A stage from any and all incoming jitter.

Best,
Elias

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #273 of 963
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #274 of 963

Quote:
Coffee on the keyboard.

You just made my iced tea come out of my nose, but at least it's not on the keyboard...
eek.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #275 of 963

Quote:
qusp, etc

You are right - there is PLENTY of jitter in those setups.  That is why its important to have a system that can adaquately prevent all of that jitter from reaching the D/A stage.  Benchmark's UltraLock has been proven by many third parties to successfully sheild the D/A stage from any and all incoming jitter.

Best,
Elias

still left with its own (probably very low) jitter in the master clock, but yeah thats the way to do it disregard the incoming clock if you cant control it. the best way imo is to run both transport and convertor from the very same mck. this debate can go on forever though and i've seen it get ugly (and i know so have you, note that i am not arguing with you) but you guys have definitely done some great work towards isolating, documenting and solving these issues. some might say of course; we just have another problem to fret about =P

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #276 of 963
Now which one of these is the cheapest...? 
dt880smile.png

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #277 of 963
I've tried the CCK with Maverick D1 DAC, on iOS 4.3.3, the pair won't work...
frown.gif
  draws too much power it said.
I have used a powered hub, song played for 30-40 secs and then no sound at all...
Still try to figure out is it the D1 or my cheap USB hub.

Anyway, I connect the CCK to cheap Behringer UCA202 and feed the Behringer's optical out to my D1 optical input, works well...

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #278 of 963
Quote:
What are the symptoms of jitters?

I'll show you with a measurement.  We measured the jitter performance of a competitor's D/A (one that cost over $2000) by playing a 10 kHz pure sine-wave while adding 250 mUI of jitter (not a lot) at various frequencies.  The red spike in the middle is the 10 kHz sine-wave (the good signal that is supposed to come through), and the other spikes (the bad signal that is unrelated to the music) are the result of the jitter, each pair a result of a different frequency of jitter.

As you can see, all frequencies of jitter caused spurious tones at 60 dB below full-scale!!  That is a LOT of distortion!!

For comparison, with the Benchmark DAC1, 12 UI of jitter (that is, 48 times as much jitter) at ANY frequency will not cause a single spurious tone above 140 dB below full-scale ..

Best,
Elias

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #279 of 963

Quote:
Quote:

I'll show you with a measurement.  We measured the jitter performance of a competitor's D/A (one that cost over $2000) by playing a 10 kHz pure sine-wave while adding 250 mUI of jitter (not a lot) at various frequencies.  The red spike in the middle is the 10 kHz sine-wave (the good signal that is supposed to come through), and the other spikes (the bad signal that is unrelated to the music) are the result of the jitter, each pair a result of a different frequency of jitter.

As you can see, all frequencies of jitter caused spurious tones at 60 dB below full-scale!!  That is a LOT of distortion!!

For comparison, with the Benchmark DAC1, 12 UI of jitter (that is, 48 times as much jitter) at ANY frequency will not cause a single spurious tone above 140 dB below full-scale ..

Best,
Elias

Can we see the DAC1 graph?

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #280 of 963
Here is a plot of DAC1's performance of THD+N vs. Jitter amplitude.  Each of the several lines (each one is a different color) represents a different jitter frequency.  This is taken from page 34 of the DAC1 USB manual (http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/sites/default/files/documents/DAC1-USB-Manual-RevG.pdf):

This next plot (taken from page 35 of the DAC1 USB manual) shows the performance when using a 1000' foot of CAT-5 cable vs. using a short, balanced 110-ohm AES cable.  The green line is the 1000' cable, and the red line is the short cable.  Notice that the extreme length cable doesn't degrade the performance at all.

Best,
Elias

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #281 of 963
Elias, this is getting really OT and becoming an ad for your product as a manufacturer.  Can direct interested people to go to another more appropriate thread so you don't hijack this one and turn it into another endless jitter debate?

Back on topic...  

While my iBasso D12 works with the T3 hub on the iPad, the D6 does not, even when wall powered.  FYI for iBasso users.  

Leckerton has a mod for the 6S that allows it to work with iPad, I believe direct off the camera adaptor, which saves a lot of junk on the desk.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #282 of 963
Well, it could be useful info here because many people have stated that the iPad with Camera Connection Kit has very high jitter, and it seems that some DAC may be a better choice than others.  I get my best results with my Pico DAC only (with up-sampling ASRC that should reduce jitter) and my DACmini.  (never tried iPad with my PS Audio Perfectwave DAC)

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #283 of 963
I only object when it starts to become an add for a company product. Sharing generic results vs. "A $2000 competitor..." is just too much of an infomercial.  It's a hard line for a manufacturer to walk, but it is possible to share expertise and knowledge without being an overt plug.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #284 of 963
After reading the compatibility list, I purchased a nuforce udac to use with ipad2 (the list is about ipad though) - purchased the CCK but it gives error "Cannot use device" - the connected usb device requires too much power. Blue light on nuforce lights up but no sound as ipad is not willing.
Is there a compatibility list for ipad2?

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #285 of 963
Have you tried a powered USB hub?

Quote:
After reading the compatibility list, I purchased a nuforce udac to use with ipad2 (the list is about ipad though) - purchased the CCK but it gives error "Cannot use device" - the connected usb device requires too much power. Blue light on nuforce lights up but no sound as ipad is not willing.
Is there a compatibility list for ipad2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back