List of DACs that work with iPad
Dec 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #91 of 963

Quote:
Quote:
What is the point of a powered USB hub with a portable DAC/amp?  You can't use that on an airplane.

Right, that's why we have to hope that Dr. Bott thing works.  Hope mine arrives today.

Mine doesn't arrive until Monday so please report back!

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #92 of 963
I just bought this one. It's suppose to be a powered hub. But I kind of have my doubts since it's basically looks more like a usb cable. I hope it works because that's why I bought it. Since this has the ergonomics of a cable, it will still allow me to be portable. Camera kit + cable will look a lot better than camera kit + hub + cable sticking out of the side of my ipad.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #93 of 963
I bought a couple of the Dr. Bott things years ago when they first came out. One was defective and I can't find the other one ATM, as Rob's post reminded me to look for it. I will be surprised if it or Moodyrns thing works but hope they do.

Anyways I found a couple more powered hubs when I was looking, a 1.1 and a 2.0 so I will see if they do the trick for me.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #94 of 963
Headphoneaddict in this post said the Dr. Bott device worked.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #95 of 963
I knew that, but he has not tried it with the 4.2 update installed. I found my Dr. Bott T-hub actually, and can I corroborate his results on the new iOS. It worked with two of the three devices I tested: The uDac1 and the DAC WOW. The T-hub did not work with the Devilsound v2 but one of the the older usb 1.1 powered hubs I found (the one that actually worked) surprisingly works with all three.
The bonus is my usb hubs are all sorted out now 
smile.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #96 of 963
iBasso DB1 Boomslang does not work connected directly
but does work with T3hub for me.

Cheers

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #97 of 963

Quote:
I knew that, but he has not tried it with the 4.2 update installed. I found my Dr. Bott T-hub actually, and can I corroborate his results on the new iOS. It worked with two of the three devices I tested: The uDac1 and the DAC WOW. The T-hub did not work with the Devilsound v2 but one of the the older usb 1.1 powered hubs I found (the one that actually worked) surprisingly works with all three.
The bonus is my usb hubs are all sorted out now 
smile.gif

Can you please post pictures/link of the Dr. Bott T-hub. If this is a viable workaround for portability I will need to get one.

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #98 of 963
Dec 1, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #99 of 963

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I'm not updating yet either. Jailbroken 3.2 is just fine for me.

Are you saying you upgraded and then went back to 3.2 or just stayed with a jailbroken 3.2?

I never upgraded.  I do have my SHSH blobs saved so I can go back, but I didn't want to have to go through the trouble since I need jailbreak with MyWi and such.

Quote:
Quote:
What is the point of a powered USB hub with a portable DAC/amp?  You can't use that on an airplane.

Right, that's why we have to hope that Dr. Bott thing works.  Hope mine arrives today.

Weird, mine arrived days ago.  I just can't test it with 4.2.1

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #100 of 963
I have seen a number of claims the D12 works.  I can occasionally get it to mount without the power error, if charging is disabled and the device is off when I connect, but I get no audio.  The iPad volume is disabled.

Has anyone tried the T3 on the D12 or DacPort?  That's a cool workaround, to be sure, if it works.  Having to add a self-powered hub to what is supposed to be my portable lossless system rather defeats the purpose!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 12, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #101 of 963
The Pico dac and the Blue Circle thingee both work with 3.2.2.

some initial impressions:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483404/ipad-to-support-usb-audio-interfaces-via-camera-connection-kit/390#post_7118525

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #102 of 963
I started a thread about the iStreamer, HRT's designed-for-Apple-devices version of the Music Streamer, but it was greeted with all the enthusiasm of bubonic plague. Regardless, it was designed for the iPad so I expect that we will see (p)reviews of the thing in the near future that tell us a little more than HRTs marketing blurb.

http://www.highresolutiontechnologies.com/istreamer/

I'm enjoying my Streamer, but I have no idea how close the performance is to the iStreamer.

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #103 of 963

I started a thread about the iStreamer, HRT's designed-for-Apple-devices version of the Music Streamer, but it was greeted with all the enthusiasm of bubonic plague. Regardless, it was designed for the iPad so I expect that we will see (p)reviews of the thing in the near future that tell us a little more than HRTs marketing blurb.

http://www.highresolutiontechnologies.com/istreamer/

I'm enjoying my Streamer, but I have no idea how close the performance is to the iStreamer.

A few things. First they don't tell you what dac chip and transport chips are used. Second, the istreamer requires an external AC power supply, so even though it's on the small side, it's not portable. third, the quality of the cheap plug in AC power supply is going to affect the sound of the dac. And forth, how is this different from a Constantine USB+ dac, or any of the other AC powered USB dacs? ....oh, one more thing, the PDF says that you have to have the windows volume control turned up all the way.... What's with that, I thought this was a digital signal?????

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #104 of 963
My boss just got me an iPad 64 3G as a Christmas present, but I'm completely new to Apple.
So if I understood well, I need a camera connection kit to link it to my DAC? What's the deal with the adaptors above?

Should I upgrade to the new OS or not?

thanks for the quick help

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #105 of 963

Quote:
A few things. First they don't tell you what dac chip and transport chips are used. Second, the istreamer requires an external AC power supply, so even though it's on the small side, it's not portable. third, the quality of the cheap plug in AC power supply is going to affect the sound of the dac. And forth, how is this different from a Constantine USB+ dac, or any of the other AC powered USB dacs? ....oh, one more thing, the PDF says that you have to have the windows volume control turned up all the way.... What's with that, I thought this was a digital signal?????

Yeah, I just don't see the point of this thing. Don't get fooled by the small size. This thing is "not" portable at all. And for that price, there are tons of options that uses external power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back