List of DACs that work with iPad
Oct 24, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #931 of 963
  I spent some time on research of my 'problem' and not been able to find a good solution and hope this thread is still a live can point me in a good direction :)

Today I have a pair of active loudspeakers connected via Logitech Squeezebox (RCA connectors) and use a NAS for my local music library. I been very pleased with the solution over the past years but feel that the Squeezebox become outdated and makes me a little bit limited with what I would like to do.

I would like to do the following:
- Have nice UI to search music in my network
- Stream different type of internet radio stations via Airplay or Bluetooth 
- I'm not using Spotify today but would like to be able in the future

My first idea was Denon DNP-F109 or Pioneer N-P01. Both quite expensive options just to be able to stream music via Airplay (as the Squeezebox is already doing a good job)

My second idea was why not utilize the iPad Mini (Retina display-version) which I already have together with this nice iPad stand connected with some sort of converter to RCA. With the iPad i can use my Plex setup and get a really nice UI to brows for my local network music.
I start to google what solutions is out there to solve "some sort of converter" and ran quickly into the iStreamer. New to this area I got shocked about the price and cost almost the same as my first idea with Denon or Pioneer. I continue google and realized it's not many solutions which is compatible with Apple product due to the MFi certification and also one of the reason to the high price.
If not using the iStreamer and would like to use e.g. JDS Labs it seems to require the CCK from Apple. As the CCK is quite short I cannot use the iPad stand as the adapter will not fit.

My conclusion was that the iStreamer seem to be the only option working and decided to buy one. To my surprise all resellers in Sweden are out of stock and told me, including the distributor, that the iStreamer is a discontinued product. So... what do to now.. It's till seems to be available in US but the price will be times 1.5 compare to buy locally due to custom charges and VAT :frowning2:

Anyone that can recommend something similar to the iStreamer which is MFi certified, has RCA output (preferable) and has it's own power source and can charge the ipad at the same time streaming the music?
Or maybe a complete different solutions as long as I can get a RCA output to my active loudspeakers

Appreciate any suggestion and feedback!

Thanks in advance.

Ive been down this road to make a squeezebox touch on the not so cheap using the iPeng app.  (but I used an iPad 3).  The 30pin CCK to USB DAC was fine but it will not charge.  upto 24/96 in to my Audiolabs MDAC.  Bonus was the MDAC had a digital preamp which was controllable by the iPad (and apps that would change the volume).  The lack of charging killed it for me.  It would be one thing if it charged will not playing, but it wouldn;t charge at all with the CCK connected.  It goes into host mode and doesn't charge.

After that I looked at digital docks, and ended up going with Teac DS-H01...  I looked the the Pure i20 and Cambridge Audio id100 as well, they all offer the same thing.  The only thing is, it wasn't a bit perfect signal.  At most you could do 16/48...  it would at least do 16/44 as well though.  It uses an old iPod dock standard.

On the lightning front, aside from the MFi stuff, I don't think the lightning port support USB Host and Charge mode like OTG cables for Android/Win tablets...

I ended up just getting a RPi2 and running squeezelite as the player, and just use the iPad in a dock as the UI.  Bonus being a I can remove it from the dock and still play...

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #932 of 963

What dock did you get to keep the iPad upright?

I'm using this one: http://gadgetsin.com/twelve-sound-hirise-stand-for-iphone-5-and-ipad-mini.htm

Really good locking. Downside is that it only works with Apple original lightning cable and no other brand like Belkin and similar due to the size of the lightning contact.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #933 of 963

I'm using this one: http://gadgetsin.com/twelve-sound-hirise-stand-for-iphone-5-and-ipad-mini.htm

Really good locking. Downside is that it only works with Apple original lightning cable and no other brand like Belkin and similar due to the size of the lightning contact.

Since your DAC is MFi certified anyway it'll just be a matter of tidying up the cable with zipties.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #934 of 963
Just grab myself a new ipad mini 3 gold 128Gb, while google around I found that it use the same Cirrus Logic as the ipad air 2

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it fully compatible with the Chord Mojo?

2. Does the new Onkyo DAC with TI chip works at 100% with it?

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #937 of 963
So I got the camera connector kit, and the usb out of microstreamer fits in there and the small usb part withs in my iPad, but it doesn't work? I only get the message that it's not a registered product so it may won't work well on the iPad. Anybody knows how I can fix this?

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #938 of 963
Unfortunately you don't say which iPad,CCK,iOS version etc so it may be difficult to answer. Here are some thoughts.

1. Is it an official Apple CCK? That may be the reason for the error message. If you OK the message does it actually work?

2. The original Microstreamer required too much power from the iPad so HRT issued a firmware update to fix this.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #939 of 963
People with the "too much power" problem may want to check out the new "CCK". The new Camera Adapter optionally takes power through a lightning socket. This definitely charges my iPhone but more interestingly the Apple manual say it will charge an attached camera. It's a little bulkier than previous models but should be more versatile.

Ian

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #941 of 963
People with the "too much power" problem may want to check out the new "CCK". The new Camera Adapter optionally takes power through a lightning socket. This definitely charges my iPhone but more interestingly the Apple manual say it will charge an attached camera. It's a little bulkier than previous models but should be more versatile.

Ian

I really like the new Lightning to USB since you can now run the iPhone/iPad with an external DAC and charge it at the same time.  For on the road, I still like the 6s plus- Lightning to USB- Pluggable hub-Dragonfly setup. I was using a T3Hub with my older iPhones, but it is too cumbersome compared to the Plugable.  I have an article/video on the setup,but I don't think I ever got around to posting a link here

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #942 of 963
So Ive got the powered USB hub today, and it shows that the Microstreamer (my dac/amp) orange LED, is on, however it is the mute button that is lighting up orange, I also get no notification on my Ipad at all that something is connected..

Does anybody know what the problem is? I have an ipad 4 with ios 9.2.1

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #943 of 963

Ian

I tried this with my Sony MDR-1ADAC.  Connecting an iPad charger to the lightning port on the USB 3 Kit did get rid of the "drawing too much power warning".  And connecting a USB cable to the Apple USB 3 kit and the PC micro USB connector on the MDR-1ADAC did indeed get the DAC recognized by iOS.  HOWEVER, although my music apps behaved correctly, and I could select "MDR-1ADAC" as the audio output device in iOS, no audio ever made it to the MDR-1ADAC.  Everything behaved as it should, except, the sound just never seemed to make it to the DAC....

There are some other folks that have reported the same issue.

I tried on iPhone 7+, iPad Air 2, and iPhone 5S.  All with iOS 10.0.2 and 10.0.3.

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #944 of 963
I'm trying to use HRT MusicStreamer II+ with my ipad mini thru apple new cck, but I'm stuck on 44100. I don't know is this MSII+ issue or CCK. Anyone used MSII+ with old no-powered CCK and got 96k on it?

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #945 of 963
  I'm trying to use HRT MusicStreamer II+ with my ipad mini thru apple new cck, but I'm stuck on 44100. I don't know is this MSII+ issue or CCK. Anyone used MSII+ with old no-powered CCK and got 96k on it?

My Sony MDR-1ADAC has a separate connector and Lightning cable that is specifically for use with Apple devices.  That particular connection method is supposed to support 44.1kHz/48kHz/16-bit.  However, I also am only getting 44.1kHz, no matter what the source.

Other devices, like the Apple Lightning Earpods, or the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm cable, correctly convert to either 44.1kHz or 48kHz, depending on the source.  That is not working properly with my MDR-1ADAC.

The same happens for me on iOS 10.0.2 and 10.0.3, on iPhone 7+, iPad Air 2, and iPhone 5S.

Something is wrong, and I think it's Apple's iOS software....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back