List of DACs that work with iPad
Nov 18, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #796 of 963
Well luckily it looks like all the higher resolution settings are still available.

I was only thrown off by the product description which had mentioned that you would be able to handle 24-bit/96 wav files

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #798 of 963
The AmpliFlac is also a very good FLAC player for iOS :D I'm using it now... As I am way too lazy to convert xD just saying hehe

Can you detail the differences between full and free versions? I cannot find this info in the app description.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #799 of 963
Can you detail the differences between full and free versions? I cannot find this info in the app description.

According to the developer, the FREE version only allows you to play the first 2min of a song. :)

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #800 of 963
Ipad4 -> lightning cck ( http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a ) works with odacs, but you need a usb hub in the middle.  The hub does not necessarily need to be powered, and I can tell you from personal experience that not all usb hubs work.

I run this setup as a bedside rig and am currently using a dlink 4 port hub (which ships with an ac adapter but doesn't need to be plugged in - http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Hi-Speed-4-Port-Powered-DUB-H4/dp/B00006B7DA ).  Humorously, I get an error message when I plug in the odac, indicating that the device is not supported, but it works perfectly regardless.  My ipad4 -> lightning cck -> ? -> odac also works perfectly (with no error message), with the usb hubs built into two of my dell monitors.  It did not work with the one usb3 hub that I tried (which I believe was made by kdLinks).

Edit: I should note that I haven't tried without a hub since the latest update.  Maybe one day they'll actually revert ios to how it used to be, when they didn't run a bogus power check to keep people from easily using usb thumb drives.  Then again, it's hard to sell super high capacity devises at an enormous premium if people can just carry their movies and surplus lossless audio with them on removable media.

How exactly do you utilize a powered hub? My NuForce uDac2 has a USB hookup that goes from the iPad to it and can't figure how to get the hub in between........

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #801 of 963
How exactly do you utilize a powered hub? My NuForce uDac2 has a USB hookup that goes from the iPad to it and can't figure how to get the hub in between........

iPad CCK USB output >>> Powered USB Hub >>> UDAC

Take note it doesn't work on all hubs because some of them as some seem to be wired differently (think of the switches on the tracks where the freight trains are kept, and the station master hates you) and send the power back up to the iPad, only one USB port accepts data going to the other ports, etc. Look through this thread for what hubs are known to work.

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #802 of 963
I have a quick question I was wondering if anybody could help me with.....I have a 128Gb iPad4 which I have loaded FLAC Player onto along with my collection of HD music (predominantly at 24/96 but some 24/88.2 as well). I have also just bought a HRT Microstreamer, lightning to USB Camera connection cable and a USB to USB mini connector, hopefully meaning I should be able to play my music at the desired High Res Level.

However the question I have is that I have noticed Flac Player plays the files I have downloaded without any addition of the HRT MS.......On this basis am I correct in thinking that the iPad is downstreaming the files to the maximum level the iPad will allow (16/48)??

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #803 of 963
  I have a quick question I was wondering if anybody could help me with.....I have a 128Gb iPad4 which I have loaded FLAC Player onto along with my collection of HD music (predominantly at 24/96 but some 24/88.2 as well). I have also just bought a HRT Microstreamer, lightning to USB Camera connection cable and a USB to USB mini connector, hopefully meaning I should be able to play my music at the desired High Res Level.

However the question I have is that I have noticed Flac Player plays the files I have downloaded without any addition of the HRT MS.......On this basis am I correct in thinking that the iPad is downstreaming the files to the maximum level the iPad will allow (16/48)??

I think the max might be 24/48 but not sure.  I know the special Beatles tracks from itunes at 24/44 play via my ipod and I think they play at the native rate.  

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #804 of 963
  I think the max might be 24/48 but not sure.  I know the special Beatles tracks from itunes at 24/44 play via my ipod and I think they play at the native rate.  

Max is 16/48 with iPods/iPhones, they play 24/48 after internal downsample to 16/48 and more than 24/48 will never play, only 3rd party apps like 8player could translate higher res to let iPods play them but always downsampled.
iPad could play even 24/192 with USB out otherwise it'll downsample too. to know how to have bit-perfect 24/192 look my dedicated thread, it's not easy...

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #805 of 963
Has anyone found a less cumbersome solution than the T3hub for a portable way to fool the iPad into thinking it is plugged into a powered hub?  I tried the search function, but couldn't get it to work properly.

I got a Audioquest Dragonfly DAC and turned on home sharing in the Apple Music app on my iPhone 4S.  The Dragonfly signal is showing 24/96 when I play a 24/96 file.  

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #806 of 963
  Has anyone found a less cumbersome solution than the T3hub for a portable way to fool the iPad into thinking it is plugged into a powered hub?  I tried the search function, but couldn't get it to work properly.

I got a Audioquest Dragonfly DAC and turned on home sharing in the Apple Music app on my iPhone 4S.  The Dragonfly signal is showing 24/96 when I play a 24/96 file.  

Are you on iOS 7? I got 24/96 to work under iOS 6. Under 7 it appears to work but the audio stutters. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #809 of 963
Anyone know if the Fiio X3 DAP (which now also works as a self powere DAC) works with iPhone/ipad?

someone tried it and reported that it does not work in one of those X3 threads....and it was not claimed that the USB DAC would work with iDevices.
If i recall correctly...

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #810 of 963
Anyone know if the Fiio X3 DAP (which now also works as a self powere DAC) works with iPhone/ipad?

Just curious - why do this when the X3 has its own player parts (screen, interface, etc) AND a potentially memory bigger than most iPhones or iPads? I mean, if you can afford either iDevice even the entry-level 16gb model, plus the X3, what's a $50 microSD card (or two)? Streaming audio off the iDevice is likely not even 320kbps VBR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back