Linum update and the new Linum Super BaX on tour
Apr 18, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #106 of 194

When we have them back in stock Warner Tech-Care will carry the Super BaX. http://www.linum.dk/distributors/

Do they seriously require browsing a PDF catalogue to order 'online'? Are they living in 1997?

In order to use their online store, they want you to fill in a credit application and then FAX (!) it back to them. Surely you can find a better US distributor. This is ridiculous.

Why not use Amazon? 

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #107 of 194
Do they seriously require browsing a PDF catalogue to order 'online'? Are they living in 1997?

In order to use their online store, they want you to fill in a credit application and then FAX (!) it back to them. Surely you can find a better US distributor. This is ridiculous.

Why not use Amazon? 

I assume Warner will be the distributor and will only sell to resellers who will then sell to consumers but I don't know

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #109 of 194
I've ordered a few times from Linum's online store with shipment to the US with no issues. I chose this method so I didn't have to wait for the US distributor to receive inventory (and place my order by phone).

Shipping cost is 17 and takes about 7 days to arrive, so that may be a consideration.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #110 of 194
  I've ordered a few times from Linum's online store with shipment to the US with no issues. I chose this method so I didn't have to wait for the US distributor to receive inventory (and place my order by phone).

Shipping cost is 17 and takes about 7 days to arrive, so that may be a consideration.

Okay that's good to know. Thank you.

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #111 of 194

Why not use Amazon? 

:) Warner Tech-Care is mainly a B2B company. We refer to them because we know they will have the Super BaX when it is back in stock. It is possible to order directly from them by e-mail or phone. We do not know yet which resellers in the US will carry the Super BaX, though some of them also sell on Amazon.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #112 of 194
Linum Super BaX (2-pin CIEM) Review:

Disclaimer/Foreword:
This cable was sent to me as part of the Super BaX Review tour, free of charge with the exception of paying for shipping to the next person in line. I was given 7 days to test the cable and afterward was offered a 30% discount (including the 10% introduction discount) on the unit that was in my possession for the review, but at that time I did not have the funds to purchase it otherwise I would have. The equipment that I tested the Super BaX on was my Empire Ears Spartan-IV ADEL with MAM module driven by my LG V20 using Tidal HiFi streaming and downloaded music. I have always been somewhat of a cable skeptic when it comes to perceived improvement in sound and this cable has made me a believer.

Plain and simple, the Linum Super BaX is the best cable that I have ever used. I could just end my review there, but it is worth further explanation.

Included accessories:
Semi-hard zipper case
Linum branded magnetic cable tie
Instruction booklet

Ergonomics/comfort:
Um, it disappears. Nearly weightless feeling while wearing it and doesn't obstruct the comfort of my glasses. Absolutely no microphonics, whether you are running or just turning your head to the side.

(from left to right: Impact Audio Infinity Series, Linum Super BaX, stock Empire Ears cable, Supper BaX again)

Sound:
I found that it didn't color the sound of my Empire Ears Spartan ADEL, it just enhanced the detail retrieval over the stock cable and my Impact Audio Infinity series cable. I was truly was able to hear things that I had never heard before using any other cable. I'm in love with the sound signature of my Spartan, which is why I bought it, so I'm very happy that it's not affected. Soundstage does widen a noticeable amount and Imaging is enhanced and more accurate.

Perceived Durability:
I'm not so much worried about the tensional strength of the cable itself, but there are no strain reliefs at all, which is my one and only gripe with the cable. While there is a right angle jack, it is completely made out of hard plastic, so I'm not exactly confident in it not breaking and shorting out at that point if you were to ever drop the connected device or snag the cable hard.

Conclusion:
Again, this is the best cable I have ever used. I'd recommend it to anyone looking at purchasing a replacement or upgrade cable unless they were a particularly rough person on equipment, but even then, I'd probably still recommend it. I will definitely be purchasing one of my own in the coming month once I save up or possibly sell off something else.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #113 of 194

Introduction

This is my review of the Super BaX 2-Pin cable, which I received as part of Linum’s tour.  As with the reviewer above, I wasn’t charged for the demo and only paid for shipping to the next person in line.  I have purchased a few aftermarket cables in the past, primarily because I find the stock cables I received with custom in-ear monitors were too bulky for commuting or walking.  Since I am generally happy with the sound of my earphones, I prefer something that won’t cause any changes in this area.

Testing

I used the Super BaX with my custom in-ear monitors made by Custom Art and used the LG V20 smartphone and iBasso DX50.  I also compared it to the original BaX cable, which I received with my Custom Art monitors.

Comfort

The Super BaX is very comfortable due to its light weight and thinness.  It is also very discrete when worn and well suited for on-to-go use.  The new cable is heavier and slighter thicker than the original, but also feels less fragile.  My original BaX is still in excellent condition, but I always felt I had to handle it with some care.

Microphonics

Practically non-existent, though slightly more than the original BaX.  I assume this is due to the extra thickness.

Other

My biggest criticism of the original BaX was how easily it got tangled.  Even when using a cable tie, I would often have to spend a little time untangling the cable before use.  This problem has been solved with the Super BaX.  I was genuinely surprised how easy it is to store and ready to use compared to the original.  I can’t see the cable getting tangled, provided you are reasonably careful.

Sound

I should start by saying that I’ve very much on the fence as to whether aftermarket cables make any difference to sound.  However, both the LG V20 and Fiio X5 sound fine using the Super BaX with great clarity and detail.  I don’t have a stock cable to do a comparison, but there certainly aren’t any negative effects on the sound.  Comparing it to the original BaX, I must be honest that I don’t really hear a difference.  Perhaps the bass is a little less elevated and the soundstage is slightly improved, but to my ears it is not very obvious.  I should add that my monitors have elevated bass and were tuned for a wider soundstage anyway.

Conclusion

If you are looking for a discrete and lightweight aftermarket cable, I would say it is worth considering the Super BaX.  With the tangle issue now solved, it is a good choice for on-the-go use.  If you already own the original BaX, I am more hesitant to recommend it purely because of the high price.  However, if you find the original’s tendency to tangle infuriating, you may want to consider an upgrade.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #116 of 194
The Super BaX is on its way to Ike, whoever that is. Hope they enjoy it.

::Impressions::
I spent very little time with this cable. I've been very busy with reviews for The Headphone List. I thought I might do the Linum for THL, but time just didn't permit. They let me keep it longer than I expected, but I would have needed it for a few extra weeks to make the cut.

Anyway, I impressions are very simple. Sorry I can't go into more detail. Like I said, I didn't listen to it much, so I any more words would just be Pinky making s**t up. he he.

The Linum Super BaX is supremely comfortable. The best cable I've used in terms of ergonomics, ease of wear, and microphonics. It's by far the quietest cable; you're unlikely to hear many vibrations running up that wire.

Super BaX is warm and smooth. It gave my Rhapsodio Solar CIEM a BIG sound. Great bass. Grand soundstage. Strong dynamics. What it lacks it clarity and resolution. I felt the SPC OCC Pandora (the Rhapsodio-made stock cable) did better in this arena.

Another comparison is the infinitely more expensive X6 T-Metal by plusSound, which does everything SBaX does for the sound, but also achieves a shockingly clear, vivid render. Sadly, it's nowhere near as comfortable. In fact, it's the opposite of comfortable. I think there's a word for that.

May 2, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #117 of 194
Hello, I guess this might be my first official review here on Head-Fi. I was chosen for the Linum SuperBAX Tour, and am very appreciative of this opportunity. Firstly I need to apologize to Linum for me taking this long to get the review finished. Let’s just say this has been a super busy month or so. This review was originally much longer and had more info on my other gear. I decided it would be better for everyone if I narrowed it down to just the cable as much as possible. I too was offered the chance to purchase this for a discount.

The gear I’m using for this review is my Dell Precision 7510 running Windows 10, via several DAW’s (Harrison’s Mixbus, Pro Tools, Studio One), into my Apogee Groove, and then out to the different headphones. I also have an iPhone 6s that I use for when I’m on the go, nothing added. Just straight out of it’s headphone port. I’ve narrowed down my mix of IEM’s for this test to my 64 Audio U4SE, U6, and then my Empire Ears Zeus XR Adel.

So I’ll start with what I think is the most amazing aspect of this cable. It’s size, build, and comfort. It is quite tiny and lightweight, and also very flexible and soft. It also does not tangle. Ever. Putting my Zeus back in the case is the only thing I don’t love about them. It’s a great case, but getting the original cable to stay coiled up in it’s compartment isn’t my idea of fun. This is one area the 64’s have over the others I others. I love the case they came with. So easy to wrap the cable up around the stand offs. However my Zeus customs are too big won’t fit in one. I tried. Anyway with this cable I simply roll it up and it stays. Doesn’t try to unwind or pop out like others. It also seems quite well built and should last a long time with proper care.

Comfort is also phenomenal. Once wrapped over my ears and the earpieces in, it just disappears. Especially with my Zeus Customs. At times I can almost forget that I even have anything in my ears. The included magnetic clip is also fantastic. I had initially overlooked it, and was planning on getting a standard plastic clip, but was looking through the case one day and realized this one was in there. It’s a bit rubbery so that it grips the cable well, and stays where you put it, but not so grippy that it can’t be easily adjusted if need be. Plus the magnets are quite strong and have never had any issue clamping through my shirt.

Next up is sound. I’m not a big believer in cables making really noticeable changes in sound. Tweaks maybe, not big changes. I’ve always been a tech guy and even took some EE classes in college, while trying to decide which degree to persue. So I understand how a cables resistance and capacitance can change the sound. I personally don’t see how the change in sound could enough to justify the cost of many super high end cables. Maybe when considered along with durability, and/or comfort improvements, and maybe even appearance (if that’s why you buy cables), I can understand a $200-$400 cable. But I can’t imagine myself ever spending more than $200 on a cable. If someone wants to send me a cable to demo and prove me wrong, please do so. It’s the only way I will ever try one. Unless I make it to a can jam some time. And maybe I’m wrong and need to try a $1000+ cable. But that’s a lot of money compared to the cost of materials. Anyway I digress.

That said, to me, this cable does enhance the qualities the monitor already has. It’s not a huge drastic change. It’s not going to make a bad monitor sound great, but it somehow takes whatever qualities the monitor already has and improves them. I’d be hard pressed to quantify the amount of change it has. Maybe 5%. But it’s enough to be noticeable.

I mostly use my in-ears on stage and for mixing music. I could never quite get any of the mixes I had done with the 64’s I had to translate like I wanted. There was always something off. And to me this is the most important thing in a monitor. Stock the U3 and U6 are nice and warm with awesome low end. The highs are clear but never fatiguing, and warm detailed mids. They were great on stage, but my mixes were always off on the top end. The U4SE’s have more high end, but at the cost of mids that don’t seem quite as natural, but still have the great low end of the others. However their gain in high end also leads to some peakiness on some tracks. They were closer to what I like to use to mix with, but still not quite there for me. With the SuperBAX the low end on all of them gets a bit deeper and has a bit more punch. The highs on the u3/u6 also seem to open up a bit. I haven’t tried mixing on them, but I could probably do a better job. The U4SE also benefits from this cable, but instead of the more highs, the highs get smoother. I don’t notice the peakiness near as much. Of all the monitors I tried it with the SuperBAX probably helps the U4SE the most. I won’t say it takes it to another level or anything, but it definitely brings the sound closer to what I want.

Then there’s the Zeus. This one is kind of weird to me, but it also makes sense. As I said before, this cable accentuates whatever qualities the monitor already has. And the strongest point of this monitor is the detail in the mids. I would say the R tuning is quite neutral, but with the SuperBax, it almost goes a bit mid centric. The highs get even smoother and the lows deeper with more punch, but the mids become the focus even more. The effect isn’t as strong with my iPhone or wireless in-ear pack on stage, but it’s there. Maybe it’s because I tried the 64 audio ones first, but I wasn’t expecting this. I had anticipated it opening up both the top and bottom end a bit. I’m not disappointed in anyway, just surprised. And when i want to use the more mid focused XIV tuning, it’s awesome. It really brings up the low mids and body of the sound. Big warm deep sound all around. Not the side I use for mixing, although I do check with it, but for casual listening it’s a treat. If I had to describe it more analytically, I’d say it’s almost like it has a tilt EQ with the R tuning. Maybe up a dB or two in the low end and down a half dB or so in the highs. But with the XIV, it’s more like a shelving eq with a 1-2 dB boost from 500hz and down. Not what I expected, but like I said, it enhances the qualities your in-ears already have. So it makes sense.

Overall I would recommend this cable to those that are interested. The build quality seems solid, the comfort is fantastic, it doesn’t tangle and is very manageable, and it does enhances the qualities your in-ears already have. Which for the ones I tried was all for the better. As previously mentioned, I was offered the opportunity to purchase the cable at the end of my time with it, which I did. And would have only for the comfort and manageability. The improvement in sound was simply a bonus for me. I would say that me not wanting to let it go, is the best endorsement I can give. It will be my go to cable for the foreseeable future.

May 2, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #118 of 194
I got the Linum SuperBax 2pin. I also have Linum Bax 2pin along with Linum Bax MMCX in 2.5mm balanced. The balanced MMCX has been paired with Campfire Audio Jupiter.

Compared with Linum Bax, the SuperBax is a tad more thicker (in a good way) but isn't heavy. The color is not too flashy which is good. It is very very comfortable and I didn't notice any tangles while putting it in case and taking it out. The SuperBax comes with a good case.

Wish the 3.5mm termination was eidolic or some good metal. Instead it is plastic. I haven't yet done a side by side comparison with Bax, but from memory, the sound on SuperBax is elevated, sharp with more clarity & resolution, separation of instruments than Bax. The sound signature hasn't been altered. I've so far paired it with 64Audio U4SE with APEX m20 module. I'll have to try it with ADEL B1 and MAM modules.

Then will repeat the process with Empire Ears Supra II ADEL + ADEL B1 and MAM modules.

The source has been AK Jr so far. I'll then pair this with ALO Rx Mk II. Then use Onkyo DP-X1 as the source with the above mentioned IEMS. and also pair DP-X1 with Chord Mojo. Have to see if SuperBax remains transparent with slight boost across all frequencies or adds color to the sound. Hopefully I can cycle through all this and post my impressions.

May 3, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #119 of 194
Hi :) We expect the Super BaX back in stock in 2-3 weeks time. We will post here as soon as we have them again. Cheers
Having used the bax in the past I'm keen to try the Super BaX with my Nobles. The 2 pin version is showing as not available to order on your website, however it lets me add to the basket, so I'm a bit confused!

May 5, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #120 of 194
Had an update email - MMCX and 2Pin Super BaX to be in stock on 10 May at linum.dk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back