Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Mar 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #1,651 of 1,717
No. 11 is here.

I have these babies for about two weeks and I'm really enjoying their emotional and forward vocal presentation. Jpop is sounding brilliant on them.

Although, they can be quite annoyingly bright on the upper mids for laying back on a sofa. I've decided to go W3000 with HA5000. They sound really close.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,652 of 1,717

Quote:
No. 11 is here.
I have these babies for about two weeks and I'm really enjoying their emotional and forward vocal presentation. Jpop is sounding brilliant on them.
Although, they can be quite annoyingly bright on the upper mids for laying back on a sofa. I've decided to go W3000 with HA5000. They sound really close.

Where are the ESW10JPN available for purchase?

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #1,653 of 1,717

Quote:
Where are the ESW10JPN available for purchase?

out of production years ago... only seen one pair up for sale in the classified last year and that one has a broken headband... it's almost impossible to get a pair now.. the people who have them aren't going to give them up anytime soon... and if they do give them up.. lots of people are after these for their collections..

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #1,654 of 1,717

Quote:

out of production years ago... only seen one pair up for sale in the classified last year and that one has a broken headband... it's almost impossible to get a pair now.. the people who have them aren't going to give them up anytime soon... and if they do give them up.. lots of people are after these for their collections..

Do they have better sound than the ESW9?  I know the Audio-Technica ATH-ES10JPN has stellar looks!

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #1,655 of 1,717

Quote:

Do they have better sound than the ESW9?  I know the Audio-Technica ATH-ES10JPN has stellar looks!

not an owner of either... can't say.. but AT's sound quality is usually proportional to the look... there should be lots of comparisons... just buried...

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #1,656 of 1,717
I have owned the ESW9 twice and still own the ESW10JPN and I believe the JPN is better almost as good as the W5000 and UE9 that I owned at the same time.

The JPNs are great little headphones.  I sent them to Purrin for testing and the test is up on his site.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,657 of 1,717

Quote:
I have owned the ESW9 twice and still own the ESW10JPN and I believe the JPN is better almost as good as the W5000 and UE9 that I owned at the same time.

The JPNs are great little headphones.  I sent them to Purrin for testing and the test is up on his site.

I still have my ESW10JPN and I liked them more than my ATH-AD2000 with balanced Canare headphone cable that I had at the time.  

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,658 of 1,717
Since the happy owners seem to be weighing in, I'm still absolutely enjoying my ESW10JPN's and find them to be my ideal work phone. They're way easier to take off and put around the neck quickly than my other phones like the JH13, and the sound is fantastically clear. <3

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,659 of 1,717
So, I was foolish enough to sell these off a few months ago, but recently re-acquired them from another head-fi'er. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  There were few reasons why I sold them off initially, and that was 1) these were way too nice to take outdoors and 2) not comfortable enough (on ear and all) for long term for indoor use either, kind of leaving them in middle of nowhere. But recently, I started suffering from sore jaw due to overusage of around-ear headphones (I have a mild case of TMJ, making me extra sensitive to these things), putting me in need of an on-ear. And since I always though these were perfect sound wise, I saw fit to acquire them once again as my late night indoor headphone... good bonus being that they're closed back (not that they isolate much, but they do isolate more than open headphones for sure).  And they're actually plenty comfortable enough for listening for 1-2 hour or so, which is usually my average listening session anyway.

They're getting rarer and rarer now, so it's good thing I got them before they reached a R10-like rarity status... get them while you can I'd say. To my ears, these are the best closed-back on-ear headphones out there still sound wise (admitting haven't tried the ESW11 though).  

May 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #1,661 of 1,717
I have gotten rid all my on-ear headphones. But I would consider these if I could only find a good pair at a decent price!

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,662 of 1,717
Anyone care to sell theirs for the right price B4 I buy an esw11 instead?

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #1,663 of 1,717
Haha this thread so quiet!
I just got mine!
Wow the wood looks intensely rich & deep!
Will test and do a comparison
Against:
Esw11
Esw9 germania type mod (!)
Es700 woodie mod (!)
W3000anv
:)

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #1,664 of 1,717
This is very surprising I was not expecting a type of tonality of solidness in the music such a precussion and othet impacts it has a very solid wieght behind the mids reminding me of one of the neutral qualities of the w3000anv and combining that with the lively forwardness of the es700 from while having the weight or upper bass character of the esw11 while not having the amount if bass as it is less, wich makes bassy tracks more solid hitting than fat.
Very punchy and very solid sound I was not expecting from wooden cups.
Resolution is impressive.
There are things that the esw11 can do better, like more bass or larger soundstage,
But This is clearly the midrange music master of portables.
It also has the best pads wich look like the esw11 but sound very clear like the esw9 pads except these pads are so tight they can barely be turned
Overall this looks like esw9 but clearly more solid plastic.
Wood cups are amazing as the grains glow or hide dependant on angle and light!
Just an amazing can which is very unassuming just how good it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back