Light headphones for listening to and producing music, price range 80-140$ ?
Nov 23, 2010 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hrimfaxi

New Head-Fier
Hi. Completely new here, hope you aren't too tired of recommendation threads (since they seem to be quite popular from what I see).

I'll be clear when I say that, while I am fairly proficient with technology, I don't know much of the terminology associated with audio equipment and have found it difficult to read reviews from sites passionate about sound.   I am a big music fan with a diverse taste, and love hearing the nuances and details of high quality audio (v0 mp3, mostly - I have no need for lossless yet) through my Sony MDR-NC6s.  However, since they rest on the ear, I lose bass tones and they fall off easily. There's also a lack of what I'd like to call that rich, warm sound you hear in absurdly overpriced things such as Monster Beats.

I plan on starting an ambient project where I will need to be focusing on intrinsic aspects of production with good headphones, and this is where I need help.

So, this should be straightforward. I'm looking for something....

• over the ear (closed back preferred, I don't like audio leaking)
  • light (so I don't get these touch-induced headaches as easily)
  • with a frequency range that you'd expect of quality headphones, ie. ~25hz to 20khz
  • less than 140$

Portability isn't a concern, since I don't plan on taking them with me anywhere.

The Sennheiser HD515 doesn't look like a bad choice, but feel free to weigh in your personal recommendations.
I live in western Canada where some brands might not be sold, particularly Grado - I have never seen them here.

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 7
According to these forums, you can't go wrong with the Audio Technica M50. Personally, I haven't tried them yet, but they're quite highly spoken of around here.

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 7
Sony MDR-7506 is another good choice if your recording and they are decently light/low profile. And yes, M50 is another good one but I belive they wont be as good for production. THey are great for listening though. Basically, the Sony 7506 are an industry standard studio monitor and you cant go wrong with it. But its likely the M50 will sound "better" for just listening, even though its probably less neutral.  

Another to consider is Senn HD25.

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd say a used Shure SRH840, that will be one of the best for music production and still a competent headphone for listening. It meets most of your requirements, though it's on the expesnive side. The M50 would also be good and so would the AKG K240 studio.

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 7
I plan on starting an ambient project

IMO you need 'phones with good soundstage, and closed phones dont have good soundstage. Akg k240 is semi closed and if you are strict about sound leaking I would recommend akg k271.
And one more thing, if you are into sound engineering last thing you need is warm or rich sounding 'phones with overemphasised freq.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Quote:
I plan on starting an ambient project

IMO you need 'phones with good soundstage, and closed phones dont have good soundstage. Akg k240 is semi closed and if you are strict about sound leaking I would recommend akg k271.
And one more thing, if you are into sound engineering last thing you need is warm or rich sounding 'phones with overemphasised freq.

This is why I suggest SRH840's, they are by far the most balanced headphone I've heard in this price range. They aren't perfect but they are alot better then some. The M50's are good but they are so coloured I find it hard to suggest them( unless listening to music is the main concern).

K240's Studio's are a good medium, between Open/closed Balanced/ coloured though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back