Light Harmonic GEEK
Oct 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,306 of 1,658
android doesn't support usb otg in aosp I think.  some manufacturers add support for it, and many custom kernels have added it.  so if you have an android phone that supports it, you can use the geek as long as you have external power for it via a y cable etc.. I believe that's how it works.  the geek is not really a portable dac/amp it's a usb powered dongle meant to be used with pcs really..   the geek stream is light harmonics portable dac/amp

Have to say I'm shocked. Only meant to be used with PC? Not meant to be portable?

There are dozens of DACs, many portable, that work fine with UAPP running on android. Let's stop blaming android and get some robust interfacing so that the geek can do what the meridian explorer, dragonfly and numerous other supposedly 'sonically inferior' DACs do routinely now. UAPP is the workaround of choice for android's lack of native USB support. I see no reason that geek doesn't also work with UAPP. Most (all?) other DACs didn't have to change their fw to work with android/UAPP.
In some cases, the app developer made changes to more robustly support handshaking/setup issues.

How about LH working with him on this?
I'll be happy to send debug log files.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,307 of 1,658
The buttons on the side do nothing now other than switch between two different digital filters (T/F?)

If I want to see if my unit is one with an abnormal noise floor, would it be obvious by simply pausing my music - some of what I listen to was recorded in the 60's and 70's so they come with a level of hiss as standard equipment - when I have noticed hiss, I have paused the music and moved the volume up and down - and it has been quiet - so I think I have a good one.

True

And the noise floor should be pretty evident in some cases when you don't have audio playing. In some units, the noise floor seems to be low though. In my case, I can hear the background hiss both with and without audio while using the SE215.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,309 of 1,658
I can confirm I had noise problems with my second unit but not my first. Post firmware upgrade, both were the same lower amount of noise.

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,310 of 1,658
I bought a 450 as the campaign ended. I've never had a problem of any kind with it. It's still the best 200$ I've spent on audio equiptment .
It continues to amaze me with its power and performance . I've demoed cans well out of its range with it and still sit slack jawed at its ability .

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,311 of 1,658
I bought a 450 as the campaign ended. I've never had a problem of any kind with it. It's still the best 200$ I've spent on audio equiptment .
It continues to amaze me with its power and performance . I've demoed cans well out of its range with it and still sit slack jawed at its ability .

Always nice to hear! 

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #1,312 of 1,658
Have to say I'm shocked. Only meant to be used with PC? Not meant to be portable?

There are dozens of DACs, many portable, that work fine with UAPP running on android. Let's stop blaming android and get some robust interfacing so that the geek can do what the meridian explorer, dragonfly and numerous other supposedly 'sonically inferior' DACs do routinely now. UAPP is the workaround of choice for android's lack of native USB support. I see no reason that geek doesn't also work with UAPP. Most (all?) other DACs didn't have to change their fw to work with android/UAPP.
In some cases, the app developer made changes to more robustly support handshaking/setup issues.

How about LH working with him on this?
I'll be happy to send debug log files.

UAPP isn't a workaround for no usb otg support in android, it actually requires usb otg support to be present in the kernel.  I've seen people say they had their geek out working with android phones and tablets
(like this guy http://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/1393599-enable-usb-audio-any-android-4-0-smartphone-tablet-9.html#post25654434)
, I believe the people who said it didn't work weren't powering it with external power or they were using CM11 nightlies which had broken usb otg support for a long time.. I could be wrong though, I'd be interested if anyone who had experience could let us know for sure

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #1,313 of 1,658
  UAPP isn't a workaround for no usb otg support in android, it actually requires usb otg support to be present in the kernel.  I've seen people say they had their geek out working with android phones and tablets
(like this guy http://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/1393599-enable-usb-audio-any-android-4-0-smartphone-tablet-9.html#post25654434)
, I believe the people who said it didn't work weren't powering it with external power or they were using CM11 nightlies which had broken usb otg support for a long time.. I could be wrong though, I'd be interested if anyone who had experience could let us know for sure

I haven't been able to get my Geek Out 450 to work via USB OTG with my Galaxy Note 2, which is running a Touchwiz based rom with USB OTG support in the kernel. (ODAC and the Leckerton UHA6S.MKII both work with the Note 2 via USB OTG). This is with both with and without use of UAPP. 

I *suspect* that GO450 not working is a problem related to power draw. I've noticed that the Note 3 can run the GO1000 - at least via UAPP. However, the Note 3's microUSB 3.0 port seems capable of outputting more power to USB powered DACs than the Note 2/SGS3, making it capable of powering more devices without requiring a connected powered hub or USB battery pack. Unfortunately, I don't have a Note 3 or an external power capable OTG cable on hand to check it out. 

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #1,314 of 1,658
On Note 10.1 (ed 2014), Note 3 and Tab S 8.4 LTE (not shown) running Kitkat 4.4.2, all working fine.

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #1,315 of 1,658
I concede that the geekout works with some Samsung devices.
I concede that geekout needs external power

I have a nexus 7 which works great with otg and UAPP and a meridian explorer DAC

However, the geekout does not work with the same hw and I am using external power

So, has anyone gotten a nexus 7 to work with a geekout?

I haven't been able to get my Geek Out 450 to work via USB OTG with my Galaxy Note 2, which is running a Touchwiz based rom with USB OTG support in the kernel. (ODAC and the Leckerton UHA6S.MKII both work with the Note 2 via USB OTG). This is with both with and without use of UAPP. 

I *suspect* that GO450 not working is a problem related to power draw. I've noticed that the Note 3 can run the GO1000 - at least via UAPP. However, the Note 3's microUSB 3.0 port seems capable of outputting more power to USB powered DACs than the Note 2/SGS3, making it capable of powering more devices without requiring a connected powered hub or USB battery pack. Unfortunately, I don't have a Note 3 or an external power capable OTG cable on hand to check it out. 

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,316 of 1,658
Bro, Android devices is a hit and miss since USB Audio is not fully supported yet (yes even in Android L - as of now).

Example some DACs are working on Samsung S3 and not on S4 but S5 yes...

You we're on the 'Android phones and USB DACs'. As you noticed, @DanBa  have a list of compatible devices on different settings because of these problems.

Yes, it a bummer when you couldn't get to function yours. And am a bit fortunate since all of mine works.

Until Google will have fully supported USB Audio /or a standard consortium is met, we may need to be continually vigilant/informed about these.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,317 of 1,658
bummer it is  :)

and i haven't even gotten to my main objective, which is geekout from a RPi or Odroid3 running linux and squeezeplug in my car system!

however, I have sent UAPP folks a log file which shows the geekout and nexus TRYING to sync up...........i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it can be solved on UAPP's side, and if not, they can point out what the geekout might need to fix.

UAPP should, i believe, be able to work here as it only needs OTG from the nexus tablet (I think).

maybe @DanBa will have some luck with the log file I sent.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,318 of 1,658
As a consolation. Dave of UAPP has a GO450 and Danba is in touch with LH on Android connectivity.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,319 of 1,658
  bummer it is  :)

and i haven't even gotten to my main objective, which is geekout from a RPi or Odroid3 running linux and squeezeplug in my car system!

however, I have sent UAPP folks a log file which shows the geekout and nexus TRYING to sync up...........i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it can be solved on UAPP's side, and if not, they can point out what the geekout might need to fix.

UAPP should, i believe, be able to work here as it only needs OTG from the nexus tablet (I think).

maybe @DanBa will have some luck with the log file I sent.

By chance are you adept with custom roms and kernels? And by adept, I mean know how to flash and whatnot. Nexus devices have had that problem, but if you are okay with unlocking the bootloader, you'll probably be able to find a custom rom and kernel combo that could get it to work. 

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,320 of 1,658
  By chance are you adept with custom roms and kernels? And by adept, I mean know how to flash and whatnot. Nexus devices have had that problem, but if you are okay with unlocking the bootloader, you'll probably be able to find a custom rom and kernel combo that could get it to work. 

down the road, i would consider that but i'll pursue some other options first.
thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back