Light Harmonic GEEK
Jul 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #1,036 of 1,658
Ditto with UM Mentor. Go 1000 almost (except when 3D is activated) no noise.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #1,037 of 1,658
Which is this "NoSleep" app? The one I see on the App Store (from Limit Point Software) says it won't work if the cover is closed.

It's freeware not available in the App Store. Yeah, I looked at those in the app store too.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #1,040 of 1,658
When is the geekout 100 going to be available for preorder? It seems like the 450 would likely make my jh13fp's hiss and since I am extremely sensitive to hiss it would be a no go.

Anyone else have a 13fp and a 450?

Ditto with UM Mentor. Go 1000 almost (except when 3D is activated) no noise.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Which output are you using?

http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/kickstartergeekout/866-who-received-the-geek-out.html?start=875#26544
This is a quick comparison from what I see on my simple digital oscilloscope (Velleman PCSU 200), between:
Geek Out 450
DACport
Dragonfly 1.0c

All output were set at about the same amplitude, 0.5 volt peak-to-peak, which is the average listening volume for general IEMs. I use 100 Hz tone played back from Foobar to measure the output amplitude.
After that, stop the foobar, to measure the background noise, at oscilloscope high impedance input. I didn't use any load which could lower the noise value.

Geek Out 450 (0.47 headphone output)
GeekOut450.png

DACport
CentranceDACport.png

DragonFly 1.0c
Dragonfly10c.png

Dragonfly is the quietest, also the lowest maximum output (Max 5.8 Vpp), make sense.

But between DACport (Max 8.8 Vpp) and Geek Out 450 (Max 7.6 Vpp), how come Geek Out background noise RMS amplitude is double than DACport? That's the background noise I'm talking about.
Is that value normal on Geek Out 450?

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #1,041 of 1,658
Oh, if anyone is wondering about the Geek Out 100, LH has posted an update on the Geek Wave campaign and it's now a selectable perk.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-wave-it-s-not-a-next-gen-ipod-it-s-a-no-compromise-portable-music-player
Geek Out IEM 100

Got yourself a wicked cool set of IEM's and looking to pair them with our world-renowned Geek Out, without the side effects of blown eardrums? You're in luck!

We've been developing the Geek Out IEM 100 specifically for use with In Ear Monitors, over the course of the past few months and we're finally ready to offer it to the public. However, in usual fashion, we're going to release the Geek Out IEM 100 to our backers before anyone else has the chance to snatch one up. And! We're offering it at the Indiegogo only discount of $199 (MSRP $289), hence Manny's pay cut (which again, he's totally cool with).

Geek Out 100 IEM has all the features of the Geek Out you've come to know and love, with a few fine tuned tweaks aimed specifically to benefit IEM users.

· 100mW @ 16 Ω

· 1.3Vrms

But wait, there's more.

Everyone that purchases the Geek Out IEM 100 is going to receive a VIP invitation to our "Secret Product Launch Party" being held in San Francisco on August 12, 2014 (oh, poop, it's not a secret anymore!)

We're rolling out the red carpet for this one boys and girls, with an event that is sure to go down in the history books. Your VIP invitation is the "golden ticket" for entrance into the event, full bar and food service, release party and a meet and greet with the LH Labs team. The last part totally sold you, right? Seriously though, this event is going to be KILLER and we'd love to have as many of you be a part of it as possible.

For those of you that back this perk and plan on attending, we'll release all of the details shortly after the campaign ends.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,043 of 1,658
Hey, any member here living in Melbourne, Australia here? Just want to find out if AddictedtoAudio has gotten their Geek Out stock yet? I've contacted them on numerous occassions and they have yet to give me an answer on this. I think that's because they have no stock...or very limited stock.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,044 of 1,658
Is anyone else annoyed by LH introducing a Geek Out for iems, when the original has 2 outputs and its supposed to be optimized for iems or hard to drive headphones depending on which output you use? It's like they're saying, "we didn't get it right the first time, this one should be better). Maybe it's just me, but it seems they constantly offer something that is "the best", then other upgrades that make it really the best, then do it again. I suppose you shouldn't expect"the best" for$2-300, but seems that's what they present. Just sayin'

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,046 of 1,658
I think someone should create a comprehensive volume control guide since I'm having trouble figuring out how volume control works.

[rule]In OS X, volume control with the Geek Out is pretty straightforward: volume keys control the volume of the GO and the GO's on-board volume buttons do fine-tuning of the volume in very small increments. When you adjust the volume like this though, there is no indication of what the actual volume is since it won't change the system nor software volume indicators.

I find that slightly problematic, but it's tolerable.

[rule]I have absolutely no idea how volume control works in Windows XP SP2.
Let's start off with the driver installation process, there is no license agreement first of all.

After installation, you'll run across the error message saying this software doesn't pass the Windows Logo testing to ensure compatibility with Windows XP (LH says it is compatible). Blah blah, Windows XP is no longer officially supported by Microsoft, so I'm not too worried about this.

So after that's done, I adjust all system volume settings to zero to ensure my ears don't get raped and obliterated by ear-piercing music volumes like some people have reported. I don't even know what 3/4 of the volume controls do in Windows XP. I start playing some music after letting the GO warm up and I plug in my headphones. No music can be heard from the headphones, as expected since everything on the system level is at zero volume. I'm using my cheap-o $5 earphones just for precaution in the event the volume does act sporadically and kills something other than my ears. I'm not willing to risk damaging my larger headphones like the AKG K701 (maximum input power rating of 200 mW).

Okay, so things are working as expected. The first thing I do is try to use the volume keys, expecting them to work like in OS X. Nope. They do absolutely nothing, not even the mute button. So maybe the Dell drivers don't work, okay that's fine. I try to adjust the leftmost volume in the system volume slider as seen in the first image. Nope, nothing again. Strange....maybe the GO's hardware buttons? Nope, nothing again. Maybe one of the other volume sliders in the system volume control panel does something. Low and behlold, the "Wave" slider changes the volume for some reason. At this point I am thoroughly confused as to what actually controls the volume.

I then notice the LH logo in my taskbar's system tray and I take a look at it. I don't know know what any of these do. Neither the laptop's volume keys nor the GO seem to adjust any of the sliders here.
I...don't understand. So much for the computer being the master and the GO the slave; I'll just use the GO to adjust the volume.

[rule]Maybe this software isn't optimised for Windows XP. How about in Windows 7? The installation went smoother, without having the verification error message. Setup is much easier as well since there's only really one volume slider in the volume mixer. So far so good. I select the Geek Out as the default playing device, set the system volume to zero, let it warm up, play some music, and no music is playing as expected. I use the laptop's media keys and the volume works as it should, yay!

Aaaaaand then I press any volume button on the Geek Out and the volume jumps to maximum for some reason. Hooray ear rape...good thing I'm still using my cheap-o earphones. After that, the GO's buttons work just like in OS X: they adjust the volume in extremely small increments and there is no change in volume on the system level (meaning you have absolutely no idea what the volume level is essentially).

There's no Light Harmonic logo in the taskbar's system tray this time around, so I don't know what's going on. From quick experimentation though it seems that the GO has its own volume adjustment. Set it to X volume on the GO and the next time you adjust the volume with the GO buttons, it will go back to that setting regardless of the system volume. The system volume adjusts the GO's volume to whatever the system volume is.

It looks like there is a LH logo in the taskbar, but it's invisible.

So confusing....
why-would-you-do-that.jpg

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,049 of 1,658
Finally got mine (450) after opening few tickets. No tracking number or information are provided as promised when they send it. Well, after my tickets they did provided me one but it was invalid. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #1,050 of 1,658
So confusing....

Luckily, i don't have any such problems with Windows 7 and JRiver. I disable the volume control in JRiver and adjust the volume through Light Harmonic control panel. To me, that provides the best SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back