Light Harmonic GEEK
Mar 16, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #436 of 1,658
The device under test was Geek Out 1000mW. Here's what Geek Out 450mW performance like.

Larry Ho:

Geek Out 450, I didn't publish here. Overall is almost the same like its big brother. Voltage output is 2.65V. SNR is 1.8dB less because the signal voltage is reduce a bit. THD+N is roughly 1dB less. That is about it. I ask production team to maintain the highest standard through out the 3 levels.

Oh, Geek Out 450 is cooler. Almost forget. 
color]

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #437 of 1,658
  Is it a case of matching channel components? Anyway It is unlikely to have huge significance...

My guess:
The Dragonfly uses the ES9023, which has the 2Vrms line driver integrated into the chip. My guess is that the iDSD is using one of the PCM51XX series chips, which also has an integrated line driver. The Geek's ES9018K2M doesn't, so it has to be I/V converted. If there isn't really good hand matching, then there will likely be more output variation than IC line drivers.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #438 of 1,658
Out of curiosity, has anyone received a shipping notification this week? I'd love to see a Head-Fier get in on the second shipment and it sounds like they did send another wave on Friday. Those recipients should be receiving theirs over the next couple days. I'm sure I won't be getting any of mine until April so for now I'll live vicariously through those who get theirs.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #441 of 1,658
It most certainly does. 64 and 128 at launch, and a 256 update is planned down the road.
Hey thanks. I'm awaiting my two Geeks and have recently been playing with DSD hence the question.

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #444 of 1,658
  Finally got my delivery notification today. Supper Dupper Geek in black is on it's way.

Just received my Geek Out 1000 today (got one in Red)!!

Happy to report that, thus far, its already surpassed my high expectations!!  After experiencing the prototype drive the hell outta my Audeze LCD-3's at CanJam last year I've been waiting for this lil powerhouse amp/DAC like an audible junky. Unfortunately I don't have the prototype handy to do a straight-up A/B with the production unit I just received - but it feels like they resolved the only two issues I had with the proto originally:

the highs had a slight bite to them - the transient attack was fast and fluid, but there was a slight edge to things.
This has been remedied.

there was terrific weight and velocity to the lower end, but it sounded like it needed a bit of control in the lower region.
They seemingly NAILED it.

These are FIRST/initial impressions.

I reported on what Gavin Fish and Larry were doing with this campaign and Light Harmonic at The Daily Swarm (HERE'S THE LINK) before the desktop campaigns got under way. I've been very impressed with their willingness to break the mold and try something different, which isn't the norm in the high end audio arena. But regardless of the risks and raised eyeshare due to their marketing prowess - the products needed to deliver the sonic goods!

Well, if the rest of the products in their componentry arsenal sound anything like the Geek Out 1000 this company is about to put the more expensive product manufacturers on notice.  Light Harmonic is no stranger to the extremes of the high end: Their museum-like looking Da Vinci DAC costs a small fortune (30k) - so they've also played in that wacky segment of the industry. They seem comfortable at both ends of the spectrum: Affordable and ridiculously expensive. After a few listening sessions with the Geek Out 1000 I'm eager to hear EVERYTHING they do!!!!

I'll start a First Impressions thread for the Geek Out, come back and link it here.

But I'm psyched to hear what my friend and partner at Audio360.org @warrenpchi thinks of the Geek Out! We were both blown away with the unit at CanJam. I think my face says it all right here:

If interested - you can check out our comments on the prototype experience HERE in our CanJam Report.

I was listening to Nirvana's "Come As You Are" in hi rez when that picture was taken. I couldn't believe the overall gestalt of the music coming from that enclosure-less prototype! Everything had sparkle to it. The drums slammed with authority, but also had a sense of air and dimensionality. The bass and guitar were wonderfully detailed and life-like. Cobain's vocals were raw and emotive and I felt immediately drawn-into the sound. It engaged me and never lost my attention.

I'm experiencing more of that since the unit arrived.
Detailed impressions coming.  But man - this is one of the most impressive products I've heard in a long time (in this category).
With my Audeze LCD-X, XC, and Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs - the Geek Out 1000 is a BEAST!

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #447 of 1,658
Mike,

Thanks for the detailed update! I'll be joining you in the Impressions and Appreciation thread as soon as I've had some time clocked on my yet-to-arrive unit. I'll be driving Sennheiser HD-600s and Mr. Speakers' Mad Dog Alphas 3.2.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #448 of 1,658
  Mike,

Thanks for the detailed update! I'll be joining you in the Impressions and Appreciation thread as soon as I've had some time clocked on my yet-to-arrive unit. I'll be driving Sennheiser HD-600s and Mr. Speakers' Mad Dog Alphas 3.2.

SWEET!
I gotta get my Alpha Dogs updated, but I love the Geek Out EM w/ my Audeze LCD-3, X, and XC, Alpha Dogs, Sennheiser Momentums, Grado 325i's, and B&O H6's

Just submitted my full review to Part-Time Audiophile!!
The lil thing inspired me - didn't goto sleep!!

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #449 of 1,658
Hi Mike,

Can you give a more detailed impression about how the Geek out sounds with the LCD-X. For the LCD-X you generally need to have a resolving amp like the Mjolnir to make it sound at it's best, due to the LCD-X treble extension being slightly south of neutral compared to the HD-800. Since Larry prefers an analog-like sound signature, which would be perfect for the HD-800, but wouldn't make the LCD-X really sing.

If you agree with that, i probably will get the Hifiman HE-560 in a couple of months as i think it will match perfectly.

Quote:
  SWEET!
I gotta get my Alpha Dogs updated, but I love the Geek Out EM w/ my Audeze LCD-3, X, and XC, Alpha Dogs, Sennheiser Momentums, Grado 325i's, and B&O H6's

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #450 of 1,658
  SWEET!

Geek Out 1000 (EM) and Alpha Dogs, I have 50% of that equation and just waiting on the other half. Can't wait to pair them and drift off to audio nirvana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back