Light Harmonic GEEK
Oct 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #121 of 1,658
Yes, I read the PS. You basically admitted that you are posting flame bait.

And you are still missing the boat on how this all works. Their funding window closed on Kickstarter - they had to move it.

I admitted that I'm posting this because of the price hike - how is it flame bait? The product is still in pre-order stage, even the design isn't finished yet.
Every order now is still funding the first batch of the GEEK. What has changed, except for saving on Kickstarter fees?

If anything, they should be able to lower the price, as mass production guarantees lower production cost and lower price for the components.
If my arguments on pricing don't make sense to you, let's agree to disagree - neither of us have degree in economics.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #122 of 1,658
But you've backed it on kickstarter or not? You had a month!

If not, well you've missed the boat bro......

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #123 of 1,658
I admitted that I'm posting this because of the price hike - how is it flame bait? The product is still in pre-order stage, even the design isn't finished yet.
Every order now is still funding the first batch of the GEEK. What has changed, except for saving on Kickstarter fees?

If anything, they should be able to lower the price, as mass production guarantees lower production cost and lower price for the components.
If my arguments on pricing don't make sense to you, let's agree to disagree - neither of us have degree in economics.

You knew that what you were posting was going to rile people up. You even mentioned a flame war. To me that shows intent to stir things up, hence flame bait. Even if that wasnt your sole intent, I still feel OK about questioning you about it.

As for pricing, you are not understanding how Kickstarter and Kickstarter pricing works. And while you are correct that mass manufacturing can enable savings, this along with many other factors that you are missing go into the retail price (which was announced during the KS campaign). I have an MBA, so while that doesn't make me an expert, it does help me understand the process and the basic principles in play. So while I can drop it to keep the thread on track, I will not agree to disagree with someone I think is plain wrong.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #124 of 1,658
  But you've backed it on kickstarter or not? You had a month!

If not, well you've missed the boat bro......

I had zero interest in the GEEK before they announced the move to a Sabre DAC - which happened only on Oct 16.
If that was announced from the beginning, I would be among the first ones to order it - as many others would too.

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #126 of 1,658
I had zero interest in the GEEK before they announced the move to a Sabre DAC - which happened only on Oct 16.
If that was announced from the beginning, I would be among the first ones to order it - as many others would too.

Ha, same situation here. I heard of the Geek from the Can Jam imression thread but has little interest. I have been looking for a full size es9018 dac and have come to conclusion that its hard to implement and can sound dry easily. So when i heard the geek use es9018m I clicked "buy" immediately, just because they are very bold to put the chip in a very tiny package, and i have the feeling they have a good design around it, not simply "put it there".
Also anyone know the difference between es9018m and es9018? Lack of 8 channels?

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #127 of 1,658
  Also anyone know the difference between es9018m and es9018? Lack of 8 channels?

Yes, it's only 2-channel, instead of 8, and is shrunken design that fits in a much smaller mount package as well as using much less power (which is why it can fit in a USB-powered form factor, a normal ES9018 would require too much power for other parts to work optimally).

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #129 of 1,658
  But the es9018m should sound superior to the es9023 right?

If you surround both chips around an ideal circuit, yes; the 9018K2M has a lower noise floor, higher SNR, etc. Right now, in terms of specs, when used in a stereo setting, the ES9018-2M is the second best DAC chip in ESSTech's product lineup. The 8-channel ES9018 is still the best (because it can devote four channels to each side of the stereo image) but the ES9018-2M performs very similarly to the ES9016 in 8-channel stereo mode. The new low-end ES9010-2M is supposed to be better than the ES9023 already. The only thing the ES9023 has left going for it is an integrated 2V line driver (which no one cares for unless it's an ultra-simplified design like the Dragonfly or the HifimeDIY).

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #131 of 1,658
  Do we have an official confirmation that Sabre DAC is the final choice?
I was offered to get in at on original price by one of the early backers, but don't want to end up with a TI or a Wolfson DAC.

See post #106 in this thread.  They said so on their Facebook page.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #135 of 1,658
New update video for backers.  The case colors look really nice.  Kind of want to collect the set.  Gavin says they are still on target for a January delivery.  Very exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back