Light Harmonic GEEK
Apr 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #556 of 1,658
I think with the Pono set to come out by the end of the year, they must have felt pressure to have a portable item to market. I think they have a point, Neil Young's push on the Pono may make other players that are not iPhones or other phones irrelevant, in a mass market kind of way. Even the way they are going about it, as a sonic upgrade to your existing phone, suggests even now they are hesitant to take on the Pono directly, but still feel they need to have something out there to purchase while a lot of people are signing up for Pono.
As I mentioned, got the Geek Out, love it, think delays relate to the above issues noted, also quality control which seems to be fabulous, item is a small bit of green audio jewelry. I can't believe how light this thing is. When the package arrived, couldn't believe anything was in it!
Documentation is poor-I'm not a techie, confused about the 2 outputs, 0.27 ohms and 27 ohms. What do I use when? I've just been doing it by ear, changing back and forth, stick with the one I like the sound best out of. Also not sure about the settings-you install drivers, get an app, tells you to set Geek as main out. Does this mean speakers should be plugged into it as well? (my sound is out on my speakers, but that is a different issue, had it before Geek arrived, works through JRiver, but not if I listen on internet, say on Youtube. I believe I developed the problem when I upgraded JRiver from 16 to 19.

I think the 0.27 ohm output is the headphone out and 27 ohms is the line out - it is supposed to be connected to an amplifier, which typically has much higher impedance.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #557 of 1,658

I think the 0.27 ohm output is the headphone out and 27 ohms is the line out - it is supposed to be connected to an amplifier, which typically has much higher impedance.

The output impedance should be 0.47Ω for low impedance headphones out and 47Ω for high impedance headphones or as line out to other amplifier.

m-i-c-k-e-y has posted the links to the manual here:

Manual is out: http://geek.lhlabs.com/downloads/Geek_Out_User_Manual_Version_2014_04_08.pdf

Windows driver installation manual: http://geek.lhlabs.com/downloads/Geek_Out_Windows_Driver_Installation_Instructions_1_0.pdf

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #558 of 1,658
@doctorjazz

If you want better sound, do suggest to hold off a bit at the near end.

Larry is considering a Geek Wave fi (femto + active/internal Upgrade) or/and a Geek Wave Xfi (dual-mono 90182M + femto + active/internal upgrade). 

Will be like a portable Pulse S/f/i.

IF Larry will consider it.

On Survey:
It was a test run. A handful persons were given. And we gave feedbacks in the GF forum. 

Already went in on the Wave, but if they do it the way they did it for the Pulse, as they came up with options, (femto, ect), that you could add to your initial pledge for the basic unit, but you didn't have to. Makes more sense in a way, to leave a relatively inexpensive way for people who are just learining there is such a thing as good sound (has been a bit of a secret for the past 30 years or so), while having an upgrade path for those who already know about it and want to get closer to the max (without going to $30,000 DA converters, of course). I did get caught by this in the Pulse campaign. Actually, looking at the promo emails for the Wave, now I'm confused. I pledged for the offer to Geek Force members, which had a small discount. Don't think there were many options as there are posted now, not sure what I got or if I need to change it to get what amounts to the best unit. Any ideas out there.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #559 of 1,658
So I'm reading the promo again and again, and can't for the life of me figure out what I'm getting, and what the difference between the various models offered there are (aside from the obvious iphone/android difference)...is it just me? Do I need to correct something? Boy, the Pulse campaign was confusing enough, more confusion on the way, it seems :rolleyes:

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #560 of 1,658
S model is not a DAP. The regular one can act as a DAP and has 256gb storage.

I'm waiting for a geek force promo on the S to arrive.

Since the Ibasso DX90 has a dual mono sabre, the geek wave needs to incorporate that and stay below the DX90 price for me to commit to the S model. I don't need a DAP.

My geeks arrive tomorrow, but I can't try them until Fri night.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #561 of 1,658
I'd say I'd prefer if the model can act as a DAP, though it's not at all clear to me from the email/update that any of them is a dap. It is nice to be able to connect to your phone and use the programs/data there, but I always find I'm short memory on the phones as it is, adding a ton of music and music software doesn't seem like it would work for me. So, you think the one they already offered with the discount was the one that is going to be a DAP?

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #562 of 1,658
What I understood is:
Model S is only a DAC + AMP + Battery/Charger
Wave is DAC + AMP + Battery/Charger + Storage w/ basic DAP function 

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #563 of 1,658
S model is not a DAP. The regular one can act as a DAP and has 256gb storage.

I'm waiting for a geek force promo on the S to arrive.

Since the Ibasso DX90 has a dual mono sabre, the geek wave needs to incorporate that and stay below the DX90 price for me to commit to the S model. I don't need a DAP.

My geeks arrive tomorrow, but I can't try them until Fri night.

let me know what you think about the geek. i keep going back and forth on whether to get one or just get the dx90 since it can double as a dap and a dac once ibasso releases their usb driver. from all the preliminary reviews of how great it sounds and the dual mono sabre configuration, i think it might be a better deal honestly. or i suppose i could go with a dx50 and a geek out for about the same cost. decisions decisions!

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #564 of 1,658
  What I understood is:
Model S is only a DAC + AMP + Battery/Charger
Wave is DAC + AMP + Battery/Charger + Storage w/ basic DAP function 

The S could be compared to the Chord Hugo
The Wave is a micro sized music server & streamer that fits in your pocket and is controlled by the phone...also in your pocket. Noisy display functions are kept separated on the phone and out of the way of audio when playing stored tracks. 

Not unlike a very small portable BBB/MPD combo with it's own storage.

Smart stuff

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #565 of 1,658
Thanks Zoo, not very good in explaining..
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #567 of 1,658
I ordered a Geek Out off kickstarter (still waiting on it) but passed on both the pulse and the wave. I personally didn't want to drop over a grand on untested conceptual products. I also feel their advertising is a little too gimmicky for my taste. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #569 of 1,658
i just received an email about upgrade options for the pulse/out bundle:

It is now time for the “Geek Pulse/Geek Out Bundles” to begin shipping of the Geek Out units. We are contacting you because you have purchased the bundle package and want to offer an upgrade. You can upgrade to the “Super 720Mw Geek Out” for an additional $50 dollars or the “Super Duper 1,000mw” Geek Out for an additional $100 dollars. All you need to do is add this to our “big Thanks” perk in our Geek Wave campaign found on Indiegogo.com. Please email us the color you would like your Geek Out to be at cs@lhlabs.com. Thank you for the support with all our Geek campaigns and we look forward to seeing your upgrades.

i upgraded to the 720. weird thing is that you add money for the upgrade using the geek wave campaign...seems like an odd way to increase the funding for the wave, if you ask me.  

anyway, i hope they ship as soon as they received my email response and payment. we'll see...

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #570 of 1,658
  i just received an email about upgrade options for the pulse/out bundle:

i upgraded to the 720. weird thing is that you add money for the upgrade using the geek wave campaign...seems like an odd way to increase the funding for the wave, if you ask me.  

anyway, i hope they ship as soon as they received my email response and payment. we'll see...

i've got a 720 coming, still no notice, but i think they had said it would start shipping next week (i hope)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back