Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Feb 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #1,399 of 5,933
Good point. However, since IEM is easier to drive... doesn’t demand a high current amp, so this looks more like a type of marketing strategy.

AFAIK LH seem to be taking liberties away from the initial design-goal or purpose of their beginnings with the crown funding.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #1,400 of 5,933
The explanation is that they are REALLY LOUSY about not updating information in the campaigns. As I remember reading the full output level for the IEM version is the same as the non IEM version. The down side of this is the possible signal degradation due to the additional circuitry for the two operating modes.

J.P.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,401 of 5,933
Shouldn't the max output be the same for the non iem and iem versions, given the gain switch?

Is this an older chart?

Are you talking about the current set of Geek Wave variants in the "InDemand" campaign on IGG or the prior "perk crazy" campaign over the summer? Don't think I've seen anything about a gain switch on the 5 versions for sale today - wasn't that just for the summer variants and those of us who perked for the "IEM" mod? Or is it wishful thinking that they'll only have the gain switch on the summer versions since it would likely be harder/more expensive to have multiple versions of the PCB/case to support such a switch? 

Also good to see you here on Head-Fi JP! 

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #1,402 of 5,933
  Are you talking about the current set of Geek Wave variants in the "InDemand" campaign on IGG or the prior "perk crazy" campaign over the summer? Don't think I've seen anything about a gain switch on the 5 versions for sale today - wasn't that just for the summer variants and those of us who perked for the "IEM" mod? Or is it wishful thinking that they'll only have the gain switch on the summer versions since it would likely be harder/more expensive to have multiple versions of the PCB/case to support such a switch? 

Also good to see you here on Head-Fi JP! 

Casey confirmed a few pages earlier that the current iem versions will have gain switches and that the iem version will have the max output power as the non-iem version. 

This chart seems to contradict the part about having the same maximum output power (with gain switch set to "high"). As you can see, there is quite a disparity between the iem and non-iem in terms of max output. Shouldn't they be the same?

So, either the chart is incorrect, Casey was incorrect, or there's some third option that I don't understand but would like to know more about (please).

Could someone ask the LH folks about it?

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,403 of 5,933
kunlun, that's exactly what i was trying to bug casey about-- and why.  the third option (aka the way i reconcile casey's answer to the table) is that the table shows only the value for the low-gain mode of the iem version.  i'm fairly comfortable with this explanation-- but it would go a long way if they'd update that table to specifically call out the max power output of each of the various modes explicitly and separately. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #1,404 of 5,933

Casey confirmed a few pages earlier that the current iem versions will have gain switches and that the iem version will have the max output power as the non-iem version. 

This chart seems to contradict the part about having the same maximum output power (with gain switch set to "high"). As you can see, there is quite a disparity between the iem and non-iem in terms of max output. Shouldn't they be the same?

So, either the chart is incorrect, Casey was incorrect, or there's some third option that I don't understand but would like to know more about (please).

Could someone ask the LH folks about it?

Got it. Had to dig back through to see where Casey had said that. And his wording was "gain selector" so it might be a SW switch versus a hardware one. 

I'm guessing then that it's a mismatch in updating materials. I'll agree with JP that they're not always the best in updating stuff. For example the last update on Wave in the "Updates" tab on the LHLabs forum was from 12/12, over two months ago. Ugh. 

Cheers 

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #1,405 of 5,933
They might not even know.  I'm amazed that anyone can keep up with all the options/perks/etc.  I hope LH eventually puts out a stellar DAP, and I'm a AK customer (twice now) who wants to see serious competition at the so-called high end.  If we're routinely gonna have to pay ~$2,000+ for TOTL, then I want to see some innovation (and I don't mean just extra gizmos like wireless streaming; I want DAPs to seriously compete w/ top desktop rigs, as naive as that hope may be).

I figure if there's not going to be (my definition) of sanity in pricing, then we should at least demand ultra performance.  All that said, I've intentionally avoided all this crowd-funding scene.  The easiest prediction I could've made for myself ~18 months ago was that I'd be irate about how long the process is to get a product in my hands.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #1,406 of 5,933
I don't think I've ever seen a head-fi sponsor taken to the woodshed the way LH is right now - they are at least as polarizing as Pono is right now, and the Geek Wave isn't even available yet. Someday there will be a university course on the whole LH crowdfunding experiment...

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #1,408 of 5,933
I am genuinely concerned whether LHL would be able to deliver the products as advertised at the end. I would argue that the longer this crowdfunding-designing hybrid drag on, the more likely that the backers would not get the products at the advertised quality (if anything would be delivered at all).

There are arguments that say backers should be patient - wait for LHL to design and deliver the products. I can wait - but for how long should I wait? A year? Two years? Five? How about 10? The problem is, we don't even know. Backers have already raised the concern whether LHL would be able to deliver the Geek Wave this year, and without any concrete replies from LHL (except for more product release), one may have to be mentally prepared that they won't receive GW this year. And the much-awaited survey system is not available yet. It has been mentioned again and again, but until I see it (and can see it working properly), I can't say I have a lot of confidence.

And the longer it takes for LHL to design the player, the less money will go to the components of the player. If one takes into account that GW will likely be delivered in months, if not years, one has to wonder whether the salary of staff would become a cause for concern. Not that the staff doesn't deserve to be paid - of course they do - but as a backer, I am just curious if LHL has invented more ways to grab more money in order to make ends meet.

And with the increasing market competition, one has to worry if the XD256 can compete with the next AK product, or the GW64 can take down the next Fiio player. It was said that Geek Wave would be the best player hands down in the first campaign - but can it be, in 2015/2016/...?

I fully understand that I may have sounded too harsh or pessimistic, but I don't feel sorry about my words (and I actually feel happier to let my views out). Without knowing at least when the products would be delivered, more backers are going to grow impatient. And with the earlier front panel issue of Geek Pulse, I am also concerned about the quality / functionality of GW when it comes out.

LHL promised a wonderful player when it announced GW. One can only "hope" that LHL would be able to fulfill their claims, within a reasonable time frame. But for now, I'll probably take a look at other players available in the market.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #1,409 of 5,933
LHL have received a lot of critique here concerning their marketing and business practices, and will hopefully learn from it in the future. I hope we all get what we paid for, which is a TOTL DAP, and that we receive it in reasonable time.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #1,410 of 5,933
The fact that the people in charge of this kick starter are not all over this thread or at least paying someone to be all over this thread to answer questions is telling enough for me.  Good market actors are on top of their customers concerns and don't leave them hanging.  I would cite the guy from Custom Art as exactly how every crowd-sourced/forum selling/community based marketer/company should behave, he is always answering his customers everywhere their concerns are. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back