Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Apr 9, 2014 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5,933

vincent215

100+ Head-Fier
I just received a notification from Light Harmonic said that they will release the Geek Wave within 13 hours.
In their video, I saw they use iphone as a source, but I dont see any interface & output from the Geek Wave (just a box) so what will it look like finally? 
I am curious, because I am in the market for a DAP atm.
Any input is appreciate.

Thanks.

Source: http://igg.me/at/geekwave/

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 5,933
It is basically portable DAC+amplifier, with also work as a portable battery charger. You plug USB/Lightning from your phone to this DAC. You plug your headphones and you are good to go. They are not introducing anything new.

They really gotta stop being branded as trash-talking competition, and I hope they just remove Pono part. They burned a lot of good will at Computer Audiophile forum a while ago due to this precise reason.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 5,933
So it will look like the Vmoda VAMP or Theorem with storage or an actually DAP with battery charger feature?
Will the Geek Wave have an actual user interface or I have to rely on my cellphone to do it?
I agree, talk behind other product is not an ethical practice. 
However, I still back the product if the price is right. Let's hope they give some more information in the next 12 hour.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 5,933
I just read LH's forum and found out they will advertise Wave as 'DAP' despite this does not have any user interface and must rely on smartdevice to work.

I really question about LH's ethics. After misusing measurments for Dragonfly and iFi product.... day by day, they are looking more like a bunch of trolls at this point.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 5,933
This is now live.  It seems to be a DAC with some additional playback capability owing to its internal storage.  The price starts at $400.  They have device-specific models, which will only work with specific phones.  So, there are different SKUs depending on the device. 

Now, they have a table to help compare features with existing products, which lists a Mophie battery (huh?), a Pono player (double huh?), and an AK240.  You can find it here:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-wave-your-mobile-life-amplified#competition

What they should compare to, in my opinion:  V-MODA Vamp VERZA, CEntrance HiFi-M8, and a Fiio E18 w/ a Lightning-to-USB adapter if needed.  I built my own table, and it looks like the E18 is a worthy competitor spec-wise to the promised Geek Wave, if you are willing to give up (a) DSD, (b) 192kHz and 384kHz sampling rates and 32-bit sample depths, and (c) the built-in 256GB memory.    The E18 can be had now for well below $200, even if one adds in the Apple adapter (but charging capability is lost for iOS).   

I'm also pretty confident based on how other storage products work with smartphones that the memory on the Geek Wave will be separately managed.  I doubt that it will make your phone's memory automatically larger; instead, it will give you an additional space to put music in, perhaps with a separate app to access it (this is how other mobile storage solutions work -- Seagate is a good example).  I could see this being really cool if they somehow put the music decoding in the Geek Wave and it could run "headless".  Start a playlist with an app, then turn off the phone and listen for hours.  (This is my wishful thinking.) 

I also find it fascinating that the campaign acknowledges the cabling issue -- "help us make the connection better."  

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 5,933
And if there much interests (which I am counting for), there will be a dual-mono (dual ES9018K2M) option and Femto clock option.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 5,933
comparison.jpg

Wow! They use output from the phone! It's the first time I see or heard someone do it this way.
However, their Android version only support new galaxy phone. I worry about the future proof of this product.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 5,933
This is exactly what I have been waiting for!

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 5,933
Yeah I'm confused by this discount thing. How does that work? Cos it says $6, $7 and $8

It is clearly explained on the geek force forum page. There are instructions on now much to pay to get a cheaper than early bird price on the geek wave.
I admit that I caved and ordered one. Something similar to a Verza with a few more features and lower price, sold!

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 5,933

comparison.jpg

Wow! They use output from the phone! It's the first time I see or heard someone do it this way.
However, their Android version only support new galaxy phone. I worry about the future proof of this product.

Reading a bit further down, they state that there's a 1/8" output on the Wave itself.

So I think that the wording they chose means "compared to the phone's headphone jack" instead of actually running through the headphone jack. That wouldn't make much sense as far as the amp mW output goes.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 5,933
Yeah I'm confused by this discount thing. How does that work? Cos it says $6, $7 and $8

From Geek temple:

2. Gavin Fish
  3. Moderator
  4. Moderator-icon.png
  5. OFFLINE
  6. Karma: 13  

Early Bird pricing for the Apple version is $429. Geek Force Only Pricing is $409
Early Bird pricing for the Android version is $399. Geek Force Only Pricing is $379.

Select the correct Geek Force Only perk, ignore the price listed, and contribute either $409 (Apple) or $379 (Android).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back