Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jan 6, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #4,921 of 5,933
After many years of holding out hope, I now believe we will not get what we paid for. The Geek has been the last crowdfunding thing I have done, which sucks because there are some great ideas out there but I no longer want to be strung along for half a decade.
I'm convinced they are trying to build up their rep with these other products so that the sting from backers won't hurt as much. Either that or they'll end up closing their doors and just reopening as something else.
At the end of the day, it is what it is. We took the risk is crowdfinding and sometimes it ends up not working out. But I know I will never purchase or recommend anything LH does going forward. Fool me once...

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #4,922 of 5,933
Where do i sign up to get a pair of Stellas in lieu of the Wave I perked for in 2014?

At this point, a pair of IEMs that actually exist would be of much greater use to me than a DAP (which may eventually come to fruition) with a feature set that's hobbled compared to what today's players offer because I didn't have the money (or maybe the good fortune in retrospect) to perk for the TOTL balanced Wave models.

Like @LargoCantabile said a few pages back, when the campaign was going on in 2014, I did my research, saw the glowing reviews for LH's other ventures, participated in the thriving forums on their website, and thought "Ok, March 2015 is a ways off, but I can make do until then because this represents such good value for money" at a time when I think the only other comprable hi-rez DAPS (AK, etc.) were about 4x-6x what I put in to the Wave.

Almost 5 years on and it doesn't seem like I'm any closer to having the Wave in my hand than I was in 2015, and like everyone else who participated in the IGG campaign I've jumped through all the hoops, registering and reconfirming my perk details on two (or three?) different asset management systems, not to mention the various forums I had to register and re-register for, and the continually changing avenues of communication - at first Larry was everywhere, so I had to follow him from here to IGG to LHLabs.com to see what he was saying, and then it was 'we only answer on IGG' and then it was 'we're moving everything to the LHL Forums' and then back to IGG again. Even though the hundreds of dollars I pledged to the Wave in 2014 represented an outlay that was probably 5x more than I'd ever spent on any DAP, at this point I'm not even mad any more, I'm just weary. All I wanted was a nice audio player that would make my FLAC library sound great and instead I got 5 years of handwringing while a well intentioned guy (and his two less-likeable cohorts) burned through a million-and-a-half dollar pile of cash while they attempted to reinvent the wheel.

In the meantime I've bought a FiiO X3 to tide me over and it's served me well, but it's been so long since the Wave was designed that it hardly seems unique in the way it did 5 years ago. The model I'm due doesn't even have a balanced output, a feature that's pretty much standard on every half-decent $200+ DAP these days. So, I'm not being facetious when I say I'd gladly take a pair of Stellas now - I could unsubscribe from this thread, from IGG updates buy a new Hiby or FiiO DAP and end this purgatory.

I also had to laugh at the revelation that the number of Wave perks became a hindrance to completing its development - once or twice a year for the last few years I've posted on either a LH forum or the IGG page encouraging them to cut the number of Wave iterations to 3 or 5, and every time I've done it I've either been met with silence or a refusal to consider the idea. Why, in 2019, the manufacturer of a "no compromise" player is still pursuing the idea of manufacturing a single-ended variant is beyond me.

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #4,926 of 5,933
Well one person received a Source...so LHL has delivered one unit this year. Not surprising they have no clue what was shipped and to whom:

"I'm trying to verify on my end with the office over who did/didn't receive their units in Asia/Europe."

"2 Signature Editions actually built and being finalized right now, 3 others are being worked on"

So how many to go for the Source? Since funds from the Wave campaign went to the Source (IGG does not permit this type of fund syphoning anymore), this is important for we Wave backers to know. Oh another week has gone by with nothing here for us...so I'll ask again: Where is my refund?

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #4,927 of 5,933
Well one person received a Source...so LHL has delivered one unit this year. Not surprising they have no clue what was shipped and to whom:

"I'm trying to verify on my end with the office over who did/didn't receive their units in Asia/Europe."

"2 Signature Editions actually built and being finalized right now, 3 others are being worked on"

So how many to go for the Source? Since funds from the Wave campaign went to the Source (IGG does not permit this type of fund syphoning anymore), this is important for we Wave backers to know. Oh another week has gone by with nothing here for us...so I'll ask again: Where is my refund?

No this wasn't a new one. The person just came out of hiding.

As far as I've been told all 5 are for US/ Canada. 2 are going out any day now, not sure what's holding them up, and the other 3 are awaiting for Larry to personally inspect them before they get shipped.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #4,931 of 5,933
Still conferring with Larry to make this an "official" update since it's not really anything new, but the new projected software Pure OS finalization is 40-50 days. Due to a bunch of technical reasons, they had to update the SOM hardware so all the teams were on the same page and things were easier to program. Now it's all sorted out, the contracts have been finalized, and the teams expect to be completed in 40-50 days. Larry is working with the teams to ensure everything goes smoothly with development on the new hardware. I'll update when I have more information. The issues are still the same: bluetooth, battery, and wifi.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #4,932 of 5,933
What new hardware?....Larry said the battery issues were fixed ages ago with a vendor chosen. How many are being worked on? He's had a year with the beta boards and no software written, and yet still another 50 days...or so. This is all being done in China, I presume, to save $ right? Contracts for what?

Let's assume this takes 2 months. After that, then what? What is the plan?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #4,933 of 5,933
What new hardware?....Larry said the battery issues were fixed ages ago with a vendor chosen. How many are being worked on? He's had a year with the beta boards and no software written, and yet still another 50 days...or so. This is all being done in China, I presume, to save $ right? Contracts for what?

Let's assume this takes 2 months. After that, then what? What is the plan?

1. Contracts for the software teams to be hired and paid
2. Battery vendor is chosen. Software affects battery. Software is being worked on as to not drain chosen batteries.
3. China is location of teams.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #4,934 of 5,933
The issues are still the same: bluetooth, battery, and wifi.

The issues are you don't have the funds to complete even 20 Source SE's let alone thousands of Waves, and the fact is, even if you did, you can't produce units in anything but small batches. You have never shipped more then a 100 units in a month, if even half that, in well over the 5 years this scam has been going on, and not a damn thing has been done to change that.

More focus should be on the LPS's, PTP's, HPA's and Amps. At least those orders are small enough that maybe, just maybe, you might actually be able to fulfill. Then again looking at how incompetent the Source SE's have been with only 30 units, there's no hope in hell of you ever getting your act together.

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #4,935 of 5,933
1. Contracts for the software teams to be hired and paid
2. Battery vendor is chosen. Software affects battery. Software is being worked on as to not drain chosen batteries.
3. China is location of teams.

So...something does not add up. There were a number of software "updates" since LHL took delivery of the beta boards in 2018. These were Oct 28, Sep 5, Aug 5, Jul 2, Jun 4, May 19, including a March 12 update of "As promised, we are delivering Part 2. Slightly delayed, as this is a BIG update and Larry spent a full 12 hour day on Saturday working and making sure your players will be technically perfect! (then we had to write about it)"

Now we hear that software teams have just been hired. What went on over the course of last year then? Are we to assume that new software is needed and that 2018's software updates don't mean anything now?

Please answer the simple question: What was accomplished last year, if anything; or were the 2018 updates just bunk? Honestly, if everything is being rewritten then 50 days won't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back