Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jul 7, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #436 of 5,933
  Doublea71,
I share your pain...  But we've got to remember that LHLabs is trying to build a marketable DAP, and since this product will probably not be ready for general sale for >1 yr, then they better have an excellent design plan in mind, or all this talk about R.I.P. AK 240 will all look pretty foolish..  If the basic models have severe flaws (like hiss with sensitive IEMs), then this project may well be a market failure.  One of the "cheerleaders" on the comments section of the Indiegogo site pulled a bit of a Hillary Clinton earlier and claimed that LHLabs were out to make money....  I for one thought the goal for LHLabs was to make a very high quality DAP that could play high resolution music files, and the benefit for the backers of this fund-raiser was to get one of the DAPs (with or without added options) at reduced cost.  I really see (IMO) this whole IEM and jitter thing as a bunch of BS to get people to invest more money.... In fact, if you look at the recommended package for the X-128 (BEST option for <$1000.00), the IEM perk was not included.  There are affordable DAPs already on the market that do very well with sensitive IEMs and have no hiss (check out the iHiFi 960 for one)...  Surely Larry Ho and the boys can match this standard in their base models...  The biggest problem I have now is that all these perks are being advertised to improve the sound quality and we have no real information on anticipated performance specs for the base models...  No wonder there is so much confusion in so many people; the cheerleaders can easily tout the laurels of this perk and that perk, but until the DAP (and all its variants) is actually built, none of us will know what is sounds like..  Oh yes, they throw around terms like "lower the noise floor by 5 db" and "improve channel separation by 3 db", but without better reference specs, it's really hard to know how much these perks really offer.  So, I will just continue to hope that the LHLabs crew has the capability of building a high quality product in whichever variant you opt to buy...  I have invested as much as I intend to, and unless they add on a few freebies for reaching "stretch goals", I'm just biding my time until this fund-raiser ends (hopefully after July 12)....

The iem perk is the only one I really take umbrage with; it is implied that without it, sensitive iems will have background noise. Nobody is coming out and saying that it is definitely the case, so we're left to use our imaginations. I could live with it if Larry Ho came out and specified which versions absolutely need it and which don't. Will the X128 at 320mW need it, or is it only necessary for the XD128 at 450mW? As of now, we have to guess at the answer to this question (and many other questions). Another annoyance is the fact that the THD option is gone. There were only 256 made available, and that's that. This campaign has elements of the shell game and a visit to a used car dealership.

Something else I wonder about is whether or not the roll-out of the actual product will be like the Roxanne CF. There are so many possible combinations that LH is really going to have to be very well organized to get these to people in a reasonable time frame. If they don't, it will be a schiitstorm the likes of which have never been seen on head-fi.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #438 of 5,933
  The iem perk is the only one I really take umbrage with; it is implied that without it, sensitive iems will have background noise. Nobody is coming out and saying that it is definitely the case, so we're left to use our imaginations. I could live with it if Larry Ho came out and specified which versions absolutely need it and which don't. Will the X128 at 320mW need it, or is it only necessary for the XD128 at 450mW? As of now, we have to guess at the answer to this question (and many other questions). Another annoyance is the fact that the THD option is gone. There were only 256 made available, and that's that. This campaign has elements of the shell game and a visit to a used car dealership.

Something else I wonder about is whether or not the roll-out of the actual product will be like the Roxanne CF. There are so many possible combinations that LH is really going to have to be very well organized to get these to people in a reasonable time frame. If they don't, it will be a schiitstorm the likes of which have never been seen on head-fi.

I have not seen anything definitive from LH, but I believe hiss/background noise could potentially be a minor issue with sensitive IEMs with the regular 128 & up given their higher power ratings.

The THD perk is back with a lot of open spots currently.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #439 of 5,933
$1M Stretch goal comming....wonder what that gonna be...

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #440 of 5,933
  $1M Stretch goal comming....wonder what that gonna be...

Hopefully, everything we could possibly ever think of? 
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #441 of 5,933
New update and stretch Goal!!!  Free gain switch for all IEM backers.

Hey Geek Wave Backers! 
Somewhere between the fireworks, BBQ's and other Independence Day revelries, the team got together and outlined a list of the most requested perks for Geek Wave & Geek Source. 
So, after countless hours of work and more than a few hot dogs (tofu dogs for Gavin), we're pleased to release our latest batch of perks and updated stretch goals.
$888,888 Stretch Goal
In lieu of an $888,888 stretch goal, we've decided to release TWO versions of the much anticipated Geek Wave docking station. One, which we're calling Geek Station and the other we're calling Geek Station X.
Geek Station 
Geek Wave + Geek Station turns your home stereo system into an ULTRA HD music playback system. Here's a snapshot of what Geek Station will feature.
Smart Healthy Charging - The ability to charge your Geek Wave's battery more efficiently while also prolonging it's lifespan.
Ultra Quiet Power Circuit - Provides sub 5.5uVrms noise 5V power supply to charge your Geek Wave. Play and charge your Geek Wave at the same time without audio performance degradation.
No Y Cable. No Problem - With Geek Station you'll have a pair of high quality pro-grade Neutrik RCA audio output connectors allowing for a direct connection to a home stereo system.
Geek Wave DAC Functionality - With an integrated 5-pin micro USB interface, direct connecting your Geek Wave to your Geek Source gets even easier.
Geek Station X
Every feature of Geek Station + Balanced (XLR) Outputs 
If you're using a Geek Wave XD128 or X128 this docking station features a pair of single-ended pro-grade Neutrik RCA outputs and a pair of pro-grade Neutrik balanced XLR audio outputs. You asked for the best balanced audio, we provided the solution.
$999,999 Stretch Goal 
Can we make it happen? You bet! Here's what's in store. 
1. Gain Switch - Every Geek Wave backer that selected the IEM perk will have their Geek Wave outfitted with a gain switch! 
2. Geek Wave XD128 - Upgrade to a dedicated single-ended and balanced connector. The Geek Force will vote on the best connector.
3. DAD Perk Upgrade- Larry decided to bias the gain stage amp to Class A and with slightly more energy spent here, you'll get THE BEST sound without crossover distortion.
4. Geek Source High Speed - We're adding a gigabit Ethernet port into your Geek Source! Use this port to connect with your local network and your music library.  No wireless setup, no package drop outs. 
Did we mention that these are all FREE upgrades once we hit $999,999? That's right. FREE!

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #444 of 5,933
The iem perk will be worth it if the next goal is reached - I'd hate to limit myself to one type of headphone. They only have 5 or 6 days left, though. I like the docking stations btw.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #446 of 5,933
I don't plan to back the dock as I have no need, but like Roscoeiii I will happily take the free upgrades to my already ordered Wave. And having dedicated SE/balanced output will be a big plus for me since I won't have to carry around an adapter should I not be using the quads that day.

Still jealous you have your GO, Miceblue. :p

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #447 of 5,933
Meh, no one has to participate.  Most of the other high-end DAP's offer a doc of some sort, at a fee.  The backers have been requesting one soooo....What were your expectations?

Most other makers also make DAPs that work with sensitive IEMs AND and have a gain switch without paying a fee, just sayin' you know.... :wink:

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #448 of 5,933
Meh, moar milking of the cow it seems like to me.

What were your expectations?

That they would just let the campaign continue without introducing 50 bajillion other things to make the process more complicated than finding a needle in a haystack. The Geek Pulse post-campaign stuff has been a complete mess and this campaign is already more complicated than it.

In a few days they'll probably introduce two more additional perks to add more hay to the haystack.

Most other makers also make DAPs that work with sensitive IEMs AND and have a gain switch without paying a fee, just sayin' you know.... :wink:

Or they just work with IEMs from the get-go. XD

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #450 of 5,933
That they would just let the campaign continue without introducing 50 bajillion other things to make the process more complicated than finding a needle in a haystack. The Geek Pulse post-campaign stuff has been a complete mess and this campaign is already more complicated than it.

In a few days they'll probably introduce two more additional perks to add more hay to the haystack.
Or they just work with IEMs from the get-go. XD

I sorry I guess I don't find it complicated at all.  But I have been their from the start so I probably have a better understanding of how things evolved.  To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back