Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jun 26, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #332 of 5,933
I never understood the appeal for streaming music. Can someone enlighten me as to why it would be useful? You're buying a high-capacity media player, with high-capacity microSD card support, with simple drag-n-drop support, why on earth would you need to stream music to it?

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #334 of 5,933
I never understood the appeal for streaming music. Can someone enlighten me as to why it would be useful? You're buying a high-capacity media player, with high-capacity microSD card support, with simple drag-n-drop support, why on earth would you need to stream music to it?

I never understood this.... until I actually use it with the ak240. Having 256+128gb is nice, but I do have over 6Tb of music and having the ability to listen immediately without going to reload them onto the SD or internal storage is actually very convenient for those who has a large music collection esp in dsf/dff.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #337 of 5,933

Hi miceblue,

You'd use it primarily to discover new music that you don't already have. At least I do!  Also, research is showing that the future will be hi-rez streaming becoming the norm.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #338 of 5,933
I would love to have a could and immediate access to my music, but I guess that's asking for too much.  This would be convenient to me, but I will be stable as music on the internal storage.  
frown.gif
   I want the convenience of my music in one place, and no moving or loading music ever, but I guess we can't have everything.  AK series will do wifi stream, but still, I'd like my whole library on the go, and no audiophile DAPs do such thing.  My phone possibly depending on the connection, but still it's not the best portable audio source.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #339 of 5,933
I would love to have a could and immediate access to my music, but I guess that's asking for too much.  This would be convenient to me, but I will be stable as music on the internal storage.  :frowning2:    I want the convenience of my music in one place, and no moving or loading music ever, but I guess we can't have everything.  AK series will do wifi stream, but still, I'd like my whole library on the go, and no audiophile DAPs do such thing.  My phone possibly depending on the connection, but still it's not the best portable audio source.
To have up to 2TB of music on the go, try a Seagate Wireless HDD and using DLNA, pair with something like a Sony ZX1. Of course one day the Geek Wave will do that too and by then the wireless HDD should be 4TB.

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #340 of 5,933
I would love to have a could and immediate access to my music, but I guess that's asking for too much.  This would be convenient to me, but I will be stable as music on the internal storage.  :frowning2:    I want the convenience of my music in one place, and no moving or loading music ever, but I guess we can't have everything.  AK series will do wifi stream, but still, I'd like my whole library on the go, and no audiophile DAPs do such thing.  My phone possibly depending on the connection, but still it's not the best portable audio source.

Agreed completely. I would love to purchase/store (or subscribe to) all my music on the cloud and be able to stream lossless via LTE or WiMAX. The closest alternative now would be using Spotify on my phone with a dacamp. Don't really need HD or DSD but good ol 16/44 lossless and I'm happy. But alas I reckon we are still very far away from this happening.

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #341 of 5,933
Agreed completely. I would love to purchase/store (or subscribe to) all my music on the cloud and be able to stream lossless via LTE or WiMAX. The closest alternative now would be using Spotify on my phone with a dacamp. Don't really need HD or DSD but good ol 16/44 lossless and I'm happy. But alas I reckon we are still very far away from this happening.

Not that far? AK240 will have Qobus streaming soon before end of this year. Groovers unfortunately supported only in Korea.

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #342 of 5,933
uh...the campaign just closed. What in the world is going on?

Kojaku

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #343 of 5,933
Not that far? AK240 will have Qobus streaming soon before end of this year. Groovers unfortunately supported only in Korea.

While I agree we might be getting closer to 'High Quality' Streaming, I would do some more intensive research before using a site such as Qobuz, while they're at least gracious enough to offer 'refunds' for tracks that don't match up to their advertised sampling rate, they will happily list a bandpass filtered Analogue Tape recording as '24-bit / 192 khz' which IMHO is not the level of fidelity we should be paying for..

For more info / your personal take on what I took from this: http://www.realhd-audio.com/?tag=qobuz-2

TBH, it's things like this that limit me to buying CDs mainly and then being disappointed with the limited dynamics of modern pop, fortunately modern classical hasn't gone that way entirely...

Really we don't NEED ultra high resolutions, 24/96 can be wonderful.. But really I'd prefer if we could just start with brilliantly mastered 16/44.1 and work up from there.

(Sorry about the rant!) 

EDIT: The campaign appears to have been restored to working order!

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #345 of 5,933

Users who are viewing this thread

Back